Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heater on 1.5mm lighting circuit ?

Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?

What's the other loading on the circuit?

A 500 watt space heater is just going to try and heat the whole loft; you'd probably be better to wrap trace heating tape round the tank and pipes and then insulate over that.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 5:32:09 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?

What's the other loading on the circuit?

A 500 watt space heater is just going to try and heat the whole loft; you'd probably be better to wrap trace heating tape round the tank and pipes and then insulate over that.

Owain

But I've removed the loft above the bathroom: now the tank's at the top of a very tall room and over it is an OSB3 ceiling, 8 inches of kingspan , osb3 and an EDPM rubber roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

How about a flat "terrarium" heater (get from a pet shop or Amazon)
under the tank with a froststat. Only a few 10's of Watts and quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

Electrically fine, but 500w is pretty excessive. You'll boil it. The plastic tank will then collapse, dumping boiling water over someone asleep underneath.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:51:10 UTC, George Miles wrote:
But I've removed the loft above the bathroom: now the tank's at the
top of a very tall room and over it is an OSB3 ceiling, 8 inches
of kingspan , osb3 and an EDPM rubber roof.

Then it's in the warmest part of the room and as long as you heat your bathroom it's not going to freeze.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 6:22:57 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:51:10 UTC, George Miles wrote:
But I've removed the loft above the bathroom: now the tank's at the
top of a very tall room and over it is an OSB3 ceiling, 8 inches
of kingspan , osb3 and an EDPM rubber roof.

Then it's in the warmest part of the room and as long as you heat your bathroom it's not going to freeze.

Owain

I don't heat that bathroom, except for the frost heater which I had on in December and may have kicked in once or twice.

It's on a lot of extension leads.

I'm hoping to put it (and a fan) a new lighting circuit.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:58:19 +0000
Vortex12 wrote:

On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable
allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

How about a flat "terrarium" heater (get from a pet shop or Amazon)
under the tank with a froststat. Only a few 10's of Watts and quid.

Or a 40 watt bulb in a biscuit tin. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex12 wrote:
On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:

Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable
allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

How about a flat "terrarium" heater (get from a pet shop or Amazon)
under the tank with a froststat. Only a few 10's of Watts and quid.

Or a 40 watt bulb in a biscuit tin. :-)

bulb failure - freeze - leak. No. Those days are past.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 19:42:53 UTC, George Miles wrote:
I don't heat that bathroom, except for the frost heater which I had
on in December and may have kicked in once or twice.

Oh right.

In that case a 500 watt heater should keep the room reasonably warm.

Shouldn't really be on a lighting circuit but we did worse things in past times.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

You probably don't need anything like 500W. Look at greenhouse heaters
at less than 100W and plug it into a frost-stat.

If the tank is sitting on the joists in the loft remove the loft
insulation from under the tank. Still insulate the sides and top of the
tank. You can get insulating jackets for tanks but I've found a roll of
insulation pre-wrapped in silver foil also works and is easy to remove
for maintenance
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-200mm-...-10m2/p/133808

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex12 wrote:
On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:

Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable
allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

How about a flat "terrarium" heater (get from a pet shop or Amazon)
under the tank with a froststat. Only a few 10's of Watts and quid.

Or a 40 watt bulb in a biscuit tin. :-)

bulb failure - freeze - leak. No. Those days are past.

NT

Put 2-off 100W bulbs in series and they'll last forever.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex12 wrote:

On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable
allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

How about a flat "terrarium" heater (get from a pet shop or Amazon)
under the tank with a froststat. Only a few 10's of Watts and quid.

Or a 40 watt bulb in a biscuit tin. :-)

Or a 60 watt bulb inside the room, under the tank.
remove insulation from under the tank and extend it up, around
and over the tank so the heat migrates up from below.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2018 18:09, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

Electrically fine, but 500w is pretty excessive. You'll boil it. The plastic tank will then collapse, dumping boiling water over someone asleep underneath.

NT

Of fill the loft with legionaires bacteria and condensation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT

Of fill the loft with legionaires bacteria and condensation.

Oh - that's a reason for having the tank in the loft, so it keeps cool?
I've been worrying about it freezing.
But on very hot sunny days the loft can be super hot..

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/01/2018 18:09, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

Electrically fine, but 500w is pretty excessive. You'll boil it. The plastic tank will then collapse, dumping boiling water over someone asleep underneath.

I don't think that the heater is going into the tank!

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:17:12 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2018 18:09, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 17:21:43 UTC, George Miles wrote:

Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

Igenix IG5005 Frost Watch Convector Heater, 500 W - White
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG50.../dp/B00GB5HHFE

thanks
[george]

Electrically fine, but 500w is pretty excessive. You'll boil it. The plastic tank will then collapse, dumping boiling water over someone asleep underneath.

I don't think that the heater is going into the tank!

If it did it'd consume a lot more than 500w.
As a room heater fair enough, but what's the point of 500w into the room versus under 100 to the tank & pipe?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:15:32 UTC, ARW wrote:
Remember the quartz bathroom heaters? The round ones that actually
replaced the bathroom light.

Oh yes.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ceiling-heater

That was the only form of heating in the bathroom apart from the weedy towel rail.

When we moved to somewhere that didn't have a heat-n-light we were allowed to put the fan heater in the bathroom on the long lead to warm it up *before* having a bath.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:15:32 UTC, ARW wrote:
Remember the quartz bathroom heaters? The round ones that actually
replaced the bathroom light.

Oh yes.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ceiling-heater

That was the only form of heating in the bathroom apart from the weedy towel rail.

When we moved to somewhere that didn't have a heat-n-light we were allowed to put the fan heater in the bathroom on the long lead to warm it up *before* having a bath.

And "suitable for use on a domestic lighting circuit but not on new builds"?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:15:32 UTC, ARW wrote:
Remember the quartz bathroom heaters? The round ones that actually
replaced the bathroom light.

Oh yes.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ceiling-heater

That was the only form of heating in the bathroom apart from the weedy towel rail.

When we moved to somewhere that didn't have a heat-n-light we were allowed to put the fan heater in the bathroom on the long lead to warm it up *before* having a bath.

750W combined heat and light? Fan heater? Pah! If it were really,
really cold we might be allowed to take a one bar electric fire to
balance on the washbasin - but only while *in* the bathroom 'cos the
'leccy meter eat money.

We had real Darwinism in them days

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not using the bath in this room, just the toilet (which i don't want to freeze)
Up above is a plastic water cistern which I don't want to freeze.

Hence the only heating is the frost heater which is set to turn on at around 3 degrees Celsius.

Do I have to run another cable in there for the frost heater and fan, or is it OK to have a 6 amp or 10 amp lighting circuit of 1.5mm cable feeding light, fan and heater?

I haven't decided which way to do it.

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The bath I used at a squat in Rotherhithe Street had a hosepipe from the gas tap with a battered bit of copper pipe at the end which you lit under the bath.

Needed a bit of wood to sit on in the bath.

Very warm and comfy, but maybe the Carbon Monoxide was a bit too sleepy.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/01/2018 18:27, Robin wrote:
On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:15:32 UTC, ARWÂ* wrote:
Remember the quartz bathroom heaters? The round ones that actually
replaced the bathroom light.

Oh yes.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ceiling-heater

That was the only form of heating in the bathroom apart from the weedy
towel rail.

When we moved to somewhere that didn't have a heat-n-lightÂ* we were
allowed to put the fan heater in the bathroom on the long lead to warm
it up *before* having a bath.

750W combined heat and light?Â* Fan heater?Â* Pah!Â* If it were really,
really cold we might be allowed to take a one bar electric fire to
balance on the washbasin - but only while *in* the bathroom 'cos the
'leccy meter eat money.

We had real Darwinism in them days

So you had a bathroom then:-)?

I thought this would make a change from the Monty Python Yorkshiremen
video that is usually posted when we make such jokes.

http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/Orw...ierpart_3.html

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
On Sunday, 28 January 2018 17:15:32 UTC, ARW wrote:
Remember the quartz bathroom heaters? The round ones that actually
replaced the bathroom light.

Oh yes.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ceiling-heater

That was the only form of heating in the bathroom apart from the weedy towel rail.

When we moved to somewhere that didn't have a heat-n-light we were allowed to put the fan heater in the bathroom on the long lead to warm it up *before* having a bath.

Heating in the bathroom? No wonder we lost the Empire.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 19:16, ARW wrote:

I thought this would make a change from the Monty Python Yorkshiremen
video that is usually posted when we make such jokes.

http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/Orw...ierpart_3.html

Fascinating! Slightly ashamed to admit that I've never read it before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 18:18:58 UTC, ARW wrote:
And "suitable for use on a domestic lighting circuit but not on new builds"?

Probably deemed not energy efficient enough.

Or they know something about the wiring in new builds which isn't up to 750 watts on the lighting circuit.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 09:51:06 -0800 (PST), George Miles
wrote:

But I've removed the loft above the bathroom: now the tank's at the top of a very tall room and over it is an OSB3 ceiling, 8 inches of kingspan , osb3 and an EDPM rubber roof.

Does the use of OSB3 in that arrangement comply with building regs particularly
with respect to spread of fire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
[...]

It does indeed. I am also reminded from time to time to be thankful I
had electricity - unlike someone I visit occasionally who lived in
Suffolk with oil lamps and candles until she was in her teens.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 10:18:58 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 28 January 2018 18:18:58 UTC, ARW wrote:
And "suitable for use on a domestic lighting circuit but not on new builds"?

Probably deemed not energy efficient enough.

Or they know something about the wiring in new builds which isn't up to 750 watts on the lighting circuit.

Owain

an electric heater is 100% energy efficient isnt it?
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/01/2018 21:23, newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2018 19:16, ARW wrote:

I thought this would make a change from the Monty Python Yorkshiremen
video that is usually posted when we make such jokes.

http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/Orw...ierpart_3.html

Fascinating! Slightly ashamed to admit that I've never read it before.

I hope you enjoy reading the rest.

I am still trying to find out which house this one is. From

http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/Orw...ierpart_4.html

"House in Mapplewell (small mining village near Barnsley). Two up, one
down. Living-room 14 ft by 13 ft. Sink in living-room. Plaster cracking
and coming off walls. No shelves in oven. Gas leaking slightly. The
upstairs rooms each 10 ft by 8 ft. Four beds (for six persons, all
adult), but €˜one bed does nowt, presumably for lack of bedclothes. Room
nearest stairs has no door and stairs have no banister, so that when you
step out of bed your foot hangs in vacancy and you may fall ten feet on
to stones. Dry rot so bad that one can see through the floor into the
room below. Bugs, but €˜I keeps em down with sheep dip. Earth road past
these cottages is like a muck-heap and said to be almost impassable in
winter. Stone lavatories at ends of gardens in semi-ruinous condition.
Tenants have been twenty-two years in this house. Are £11 in arrears
with rent, and have been paying an extra 1s. a week to pay this off.
Landlord now refuses this and has served orders to quit. Rent 5s.,
including rates.

I am not sure if it is not this one:-)

https://goo.gl/maps/zpYVw44EFdB2

the tree in the gutter is now much bigger (I'll take a photo at the
weekend) and I was stopped from putting tinsel on it this Christmas by
the my gf who said that I was too ****ed to go up their ladder and the
owners might find out who did it.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But I've removed the loft above the bathroom: now the tank's at the top of a very tall room and over it is an OSB3 ceiling, 8 inches of kingspan , osb3 and an EDPM rubber roof.

Does the use of OSB3 in that arrangement comply with building regs particularly
with respect to spread of fire?
--

I hope its OK with building regs,
I have read somewhere about some intumescent paint or varnish to coat interior OSB with but I couldnt find anything about it when I researched it last. I also have OSB3 on the bathroom walls.

If the bath catches fire its probably too late!

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 18:08, wrote:
[...]

My wife and her brother were very excited to get torches one christmas in thier youth...........

They moved soon after to a 200 year old cottage with an earth closet!

She used to kick the door open very hard (in case there was a Cyberman hiding behind it).

Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 11 July 19th 16 08:27 AM
lights wires 1.5mm or 2.5mm (100 amp maion fuse) george [dicegeorge] UK diy 18 January 2nd 11 03:34 PM
2.5mm radial circuit? John UK diy 4 August 9th 06 06:12 PM
To use 1.0mm or 1.5mm wire? (lighting) htmark98 UK diy 9 January 20th 06 06:02 PM
HELP: need diagram of a stereo 2.5mm plug to a 2.5mm socket graph 1 Electronics 1 May 30th 04 10:31 PM