Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Heater on 1.5mm lighting circuit ?

On 27/01/2018 17:21, George Miles wrote:
Is it OK to put my 500 watt frost heater on a lighting circuit?
It's so that the plastic header tank doesn't freeze.
Just count it as 2 amps for calculating the length of 1.5mm cable allowed?

You probably don't need anything like 500W. Look at greenhouse heaters
at less than 100W and plug it into a frost-stat.

If the tank is sitting on the joists in the loft remove the loft
insulation from under the tank. Still insulate the sides and top of the
tank. You can get insulating jackets for tanks but I've found a roll of
insulation pre-wrapped in silver foil also works and is easy to remove
for maintenance
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-200mm-...-10m2/p/133808