Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lights wires 1.5mm or 2.5mm (100 amp maion fuse)

I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message ...
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting
page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

I'm confused.

Why would reading something about meter tails size and board fuse ratings
influence your choice of a suitable cable size for a lighting cct?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2011 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

That's referring to the meter tails - the big chunky cables between the
meter and consumer unit which have to be twenty-five square mm if the
main fuse is more than 60A. Doesn't apply to the cables needed for
individual circuits.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2011 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Are you sure you're up to this job? If you are capable of confusing 25
(yes, twenty five) mm^2 meter tails with 1.5 or 2.5 mm^2 circuit wiring,
I do wonder!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:

I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

YTTC.
GAMI, you are clearly clueless.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

Are you sure you're up to this job?

...and it's called cable, not wire. I think you really should call in
an electrician.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/11 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Yes - you're right, I'm wrong.
( I wont do wiring when hungover.)
Looking again I have found what confused me:
bad layout of the page,
The wording about LENGTHS at the bottom of the middle column
in fact follows from the bottom of the lefthand column on Cable Sizes,,
not down from the middle column.
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
On 01/01/11 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Yes - you're right, I'm wrong.
( I wont do wiring when hungover.)
Looking again I have found what confused me:
bad layout of the page,
The wording about LENGTHS at the bottom of the middle column
in fact follows from the bottom of the lefthand column on Cable Sizes,,
not down from the middle column.
[g]

If you were half competent you would have realised your error as it would
have jumped out as being illogical.

Part "P" was introduced as a result of people dabbling when they are
incompetent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Part P was introduced to raise the tax revenue.
Safety was compromised.
It is supposed to stop work being done off the books.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 01/01/11 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter
leads are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Yes - you're right, I'm wrong.
( I wont do wiring when hungover.)
Looking again I have found what confused me:
bad layout of the page,
The wording about LENGTHS at the bottom of the middle column
in fact follows from the bottom of the lefthand column on Cable
Sizes,, not down from the middle column.
[g]

Party on mate. There is nothing wrong with getting ****faced and making a
mistake.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/11 20:52, John wrote:
"george wrote in message
[...]

I did realise it was illogical,
and wondered if the 25mm2 was a typing mistake,
that's why I posted here,
now i understand it.

Though I may still use the words cable and flex and wire interchangeably!

I will not do electrickery when hungover or drunk!

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/11 21:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
george wrote:
On 01/01/11 15:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter
leads are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Yes - you're right, I'm wrong.
( I wont do wiring when hungover.)
Looking again I have found what confused me:
bad layout of the page,
The wording about LENGTHS at the bottom of the middle column
in fact follows from the bottom of the lefthand column on Cable
Sizes,, not down from the middle column.
[g]

Party on mate. There is nothing wrong with getting ****faced and making a
mistake.

I paid for an electrical building notice before it got expensive last
April, so must use fat enough wires/cables/flex etc...

I won't do elecs or ladders or roofs when having consumed even a sip of
alcohol, the wacky backy leads to mistakes of left and right, colour
swapping with short term memory loss... but it did inspire a plumbing
redesign a week ago which saved me lots of pipage and connections!

[g]

PS

I spent a month in hospital because of a mistake,
wish I'd slowed down for a few seconds!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I must find the video of me ****ed up attaching a flag to my chimney.

the wacky backy leads to mistakes of left and right,
colour swapping with short term memory loss... but it did inspire a
plumbing redesign a week ago which saved me lots of pipage and
connections!

I agree with the left and right errors.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:28:16 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:

On 01/01/11 20:52, John wrote:
"george wrote in message
[...]

Merrycans refer to cable as "wire".

Actually, when you're referring to the size, such as 1.5mm2 you are
actually referring to the size of the wire itself :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Part "P" was introduced by John Prescott after being lobbied by the relevant
private bodies who have a financial interest in making sure that a law was
enacted that threw all electrical work their way, along with the UPVc
manufacturers and installers and the makers/suppliers and installers of
combi/condensing boilers - and sod all to do with H&S or the incompetence of
a DiYer [1].

And I'm not inferring that incentives were dangled under noses to get those
laws in!

BTW, have you never made and error or read or taken something out of context
by mistake? I bet you have, and if you say no, then you are telling
porkies!

[1] There are many so-called professionals who are a damn site more
incompetent than any DiYer - and I've seen their work and condemned it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 1, 3:37*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise when I noticed in Collins Complete Wiring and Lighting *page 26 :
[LENGTHS: if the company fuse is larger than 60 amps, 25mm2 meter leads
are required]
But I have never seen any other mention of this.
So can I not use 1.5 mm wire?

[g]

Usually you can use 1mm, but not always. You can always use 1.5 for
lights, hence its popularity.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I was about to order 1.5 mm wire for lighting before the Tuesday VAT
rise

Crikey, how much cable are you planning on buying such that the VAT
increase will make the slightest bit of difference?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
If you were half competent you would have realised your error as it
would have jumped out as being illogical.

Part "P" was introduced as a result of people dabbling when they are
incompetent.

What an astonishing number of w*nkers crawled out of the woodwork in
response to such a question! One has to wonder what they think this group
is for and they ask themselves what they contribute to the group.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message o.uk...
On 01/01/2011 20:52, John wrote:
"george wrote in message
[...]

Erm, the fact he posted a question would suggest he realised something was not making sense. What made you so perfect?

The OP got a ribbing, but he took it all in good spirit.

Nothing still-born or lost.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%