Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi calling on payge sim and a cheap phone?

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

Anyone know anything ?

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if it
means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap android and
a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do that
other than greed

Anyone know anything ?

--
"it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism (or
environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans, about
their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and the
state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a 'noble'
idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,' a matter
of elementary environmental protection, or a search for rational
mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet things do occur
that make you shake your head and remind yourself that you live neither in
Joseph Stalin's Communist era, nor in the Orwellian utopia of 1984."

Vaclav Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 8:51:38 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

A MotoG and a Three SIM does it for me. AIUI Most people don't get a signal at home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/8/2018 8:23 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

Anyone know anything ?

just make sure your provider is on 950 Mc/s

--
Follow my lead...ignore Brian Reay ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

I have a Three pay-as-you-go SIM deal and have their calls (and Texts)
over WiFi app. It works OK but it's not very well integrated with the
basic call and text apps. This is on an Android phone.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/18 09:15, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

I have a Three pay-as-you-go SIM deal and have their calls (and Texts)
over WiFi app. It works OK but it's not very well integrated with the
basic call and text apps. This is on an Android phone.

Is that using the old three-in-touch app? or integrated wifi calling
from e.g. samsung S6?

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/18 09:15, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

I have a Three pay-as-you-go SIM deal and have their calls (and Texts)
over WiFi app.Â* It works OK but it's not very well integrated with the
basic call and text apps.Â* This is on an Android phone.

Is that using the old three-in-touch app? or integrated wifi calling
from e.g. samsung S6?

Oh I just looked. 3 Payg is not Payg. you pay upfront and if you havent
used your minutes at the end of the month you lose em

Same as a contract.

Is that actually the case?

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!)
Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited texts and
300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept
up to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 08:23:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I got a PAYG Sim from 3 and it works quite well and seamlessly.

Phone is 2nd hand unlocked Iphone but see no reason why it should
not work the same with other makes.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Wifi calling would be ideal

Seems to require a smartphone supplied by the network you're going to
use it on, to get the network's specific firmware, tends to rule out the
cheap MVNOs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It's on an old[ish] Motorola Moto E so I think it's "three-in-touch".

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No, as long as you don't buy an 'Add-on', your basic PAYG payment
lasts for ever. I usually spend £10 to £20 per year.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I will be using data. I have a feeling though that the problem at the
moment is that they have yet to increase the net capacity and hence they are
going to make the users pay for the upgrade despite them making money hand
over fist for years, which presumably went into various pockets not the new
kit.
I think there needs to be some enforceable limit on profit made over a long
period somehow or eventually they will all form cartels and kill the goose.
its like this net Neutrality argument.
The isps and those who own the networks feel they need to upgrade capacity,
but some users are watching net flicks and others are simply looking at
email and doing a bit of radio listening etc. So they should be able to
charge the likes of broadcasters according to the usage of the network. The
snag is that outfits like the bbc will also need to pay, which will I think
mean one of two things. Either the catch up sites will all have to get your
dosh, or your isp will charge you for data usage over a given period no
matter how fast your connection is, and maybe block packets from streaming
tv services if you are not willing to pay. In the end somebody has to invest
in the infrastructure to support ever growing bandwidth needs, and in the
end its going to be us!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!)
Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited texts and
300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept up
to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:30:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Oh I just looked. 3 Payg is not Payg. you pay upfront and if you havent
used your minutes at the end of the month you lose em

Same as a contract.

Is that actually the case?

Don't think so, I haven't put any money on my 3 PAYG for about 10
months now and it is still showing credit, just make at least one
connection via the network rather than WifI every so often to keep it
alive . I listen to an available online only radio station in the
car for a while for that purpose.

The lack of expiry and the availability of the 3 in touch app was why
I made the switch from networks that did expire.

At some point the 3 in Touch app became obsolete after either a phone
or 3 update. I don't who, it just happened and Wifi calling took
over. That was on I phone 5.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home with
zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not if
it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that does
it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not to do
that other than greed

Anyone know anything ?

Vodafone Smartphone 4G or similar on Vodafone PAYG but you need to use a
wi-fi app such as Viber for free calls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/18 10:49, Ash Burton wrote:

Still trying to solve te problem of recieving mobile calls at home
with zero signal on any network unless I walk up the top of the graden...

Wifi calling would be ideal, espceailly as FFTC is imminent, but not
if it means a ****ing expsensive phone on a contract. I want a cheap
android and a PAYG SIM.

I've already ruled out EE, who had a nice 150 quid smartphone that
does it. Just not if you are on payg. ****s. There is no reasosn not
to do that other than greed

Anyone know anything ?

Vodafone Smartphone 4G or similar on Vodafone PAYG but you need to use a
wi-fi app such as Viber for free calls.

No, the requirement is to RECEIVE calls and texts from all the people
who think that everyone carries around a smart phone all the time and
lives in a good reception area.

Doctors
Dentist
Hospital
Bank

All of these insist on texting me, and all couriers who want to know if
I am in will phone the mobile number which I cannot answer if I AM in.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ots looking like Three have the best deal

I can get an unlocked s6 for around £170...

I only recently changed my S3 to an S8 so an S6 should be an abundantly
capable phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/18 12:00, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Ots looking like Three have the best deal

I can get an unlocked s6 for around £170...

I only recently changed my S3 to an S8 so an S6 should be an abundantly
capable phone.

texts, voice calls - and possibly to use as a satnav.

Thats ALL I want...

Its looking like 3 actually will let me do what I want on any unlocked
phone that supports it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:36:25 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

AFAIK the Three SIM works on any smartphone, and your credit definitely never runs out. For me it was a no brainer.
The MotoG phones were very well reviewed and my only complaint now is lack of space and no memory card slot. The later versions corrected this. My nerdy mate swears by Wiley Fox phones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 January 2018 08:23:42 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Three have an app that does that it is charged at your mobile tariff. It works well. It is one of the reasons I changed to Three.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:20:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I only recently changed my S3 to an S8 so an S6 should be an abundantly
capable phone.

texts, voice calls - and possibly to use as a satnav.

Thats ALL I want...

Its looking like 3 actually will let me do what I want on any unlocked
phone that supports it

Not sure if you intend to source any phone via 3 or obtain one
elsewhere but when I recently went looking for a dead cheapy non smart
phone (non wifi ) for mother* the chap in the 3 shop told me that all
the phones they supply are now done so unlocked, so if circumstances
change it is no hassle to put another operators SIM in with no bother
about getting unlock codes etc.

* Her former orange DORO can not be unlocked by anyone apparently, EE
staff gave up. "we would have sent a text telling her we were going
to disconnect for lack of use".
"She moved to an area where there was no reception from you (EE) after
you took over Orange and rationlised transmitters, she could not use
the phone or recieve any such text. Can she get her credit back? No
she has left it too long.
Stuff EE then, Oh for the days that if Orange staff messed about you
could ring Hans Snook at his desk if you rose early like he did,if he
didn't answer his secretery would take note.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!)
Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited texts and
300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept up
to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Hopeless pricing. We get unlimited calls and texts to any landline
or mobile in the country and 1GB of data for just $10/month.

Higher price for more data.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

[...]

In theory. But in practice I went from unlimited adsl2+, getting 8/1
to unlimited 100/40 fttn getting 114/44, for 10% less per month.

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!)
Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited texts and
300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept
up to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/18 12:42, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

And some later phoines do not need the app...

I am investigating which ones 'just work'

Jonathan

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even
Madeira!) Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited
texts and 300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has
now crept up to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

Now advertising with 2gb data £8 per month.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even
Madeira!) Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited
texts and 300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming
has now crept up to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

Now advertising with 2gb data £8 per month.

I'll bet that is restricted to new subscribers..

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well today was a lesson and a half. Went into Argos. Yes they had a
Huwaei P10 lite at a sane price. Went into Three (25 yards away) yes
that phone would do wifi calling. Bought phone. Odd. No 'wifi calling'
on the menu.

Took it home. No wifi calling.

Did web seaech. Half the people had a menu like mine with no wifi
calling, others had wifi calling on the menu.

Called local Three Man. Yes have what you want for £180 - galaxy J3 I
think it is.

Got money back from argos and got phone from three.

The ****ing thing actually works over wifi.

Spend 1.5 hours trying to get email to work. If it can't connect
outgoing, is says there is an issue with incoming and resets all
outgoing settings to default, then hides access to them in a place I
managed to stumble on twice.

God these smart phones are utter ****. There is no forward delete key,
and the keyboard is designed for people with elf sized fingers. I guess
you use voice recognition.

Question: I uninstalled default app 'candy crush arse hole' but it still
appears on the desktop, which is a mess because I disabled anything to
do with Microsoft.

How can you move desktop icons?

Also how to enter contacts - I can see the 'disk' when I plug into USB,
but its not obvious where the address book is..

It's a toss up whether google is worse than apple. Frankly there's ****
all in it.

The phone comes preloaded with **** that you cannot get rid of. All of
designed to see who you are where you are and make you spend even more
****ing money.

****s

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Went into Argos. Yes they had a
Huwaei P10 lite at a sane price. Went into Three yes
that phone would do wifi calling. Bought phone. Odd. No 'wifi calling'
on the menu.

Took it home. No wifi calling.

I did try to warn you that a sim on network X requires a phone bought
from network X in order to get notwork X's firmware, so that wifi
calling works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Spend 1.5 hours trying to get email to work.

Uninstall or ignore the inbuilt email app, use K9 email instead.

God these smart phones are utter ****. There is no forward delete key

you'll probably have to install Hackers keyboard app for that, backspace
seems to suit most people, you should find that sliding a finger L/R on
the keyboard acts as left/right arrows to position keyboard, which may
help, if not try the gboard keyboard.

and the keyboard is designed for people with elf sized fingers.

use a keyboard that supports swiping, rather than hunt and peck.

I guess you use voice recognition.

I tend to avoid that, unless driving.

Question: I uninstalled default app 'candy crush arse hole' but it still
appears on the desktop, which is a mess because I disabled anything to
do with Microsoft.

uninstalling ought to remove icon from the home page, but try dragging
it towards the top of the screen, a red trashbin should appear, drop the
icon in there, if not then junk whatever launcher sansumg have inflicted
on you and use a sensible one.

How can you move desktop icons?

just drag them, if you want them in groups drag one icon on top of another

Also how to enter contacts - I can see the 'disk' when I plug into USB,
but its not obvious where the address book is..

easiest is to enter (or sync) them into a google account, and let the
phone sync from that account.

https://contacts.google.com/

The phone comes preloaded with **** that you cannot get rid of.

If you want a phone that isn't full of bloatware, buy a pixel, or second
hand nexus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

New twist. Can call landlines, but when I call mobile number 'you have
no money.

Dial 444.

"You have no money".

Odd. I have SIM-only rather than PAYG, so can't really comment on "out
of credit" issues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/18 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:
[...]

I moved it into a page and deleted the whole fsking page

How can you move desktop icons?

just drag them, if you want them in groups drag one icon on top of another

Also how to enter contacts - I can see the 'disk' when I plug into USB,
but its not obvious where the address book is..

easiest is to enter (or sync) them into a google account, and let the
phone sync from that account.

https://contacts.google.com/

Not letting google anywhere near it. Trust them even less than I trust
Jeremy Corbyn.

The phone comes preloaded with **** that you cannot get rid of.

If you want a phone that isn't full of bloatware, buy a pixel, or second
hand nexus.

Well I have dumped nearly all of it.

7 apps on the home page with 5 in the tray.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not letting google anywhere near it.

Fair enough, but you'll be fighting it at every turn, any time you ask
someone "how do you do x" they'll say theirs "just does it". I created
a separate google account just for the phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/18 21:14, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not letting google anywhere near it.

Fair enough, but you'll be fighting it at every turn, any time you ask
someone "how do you do x" they'll say theirs "just does it".Â* I created
a separate google account just for the phone.

well yes, so have I, but I never want to use it.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller