Posted to alt.cellular,alt.home.repair

Default No wifi but a wifi hotspot

I stayed in a hotel over the weekend, and even though the cheapest hotel
on the highway has free wi-fi, the Hilton*** wanted $13/night for
*in-room* wi-fi. So I didn't get it and didn't even bring my
laptop. No big deal. (And they had a computer in the lobby.)
***Where I had to stay because it was a family event.

However, in the room I got a notification on my Android phone that there
was an ATT wifi hotpot, and indeed, I was able to use wi-fi on the
phone, including googling and reading websites.

1) Does that imply if I had had the laptop with me, it would have
worked too? Or are there stricter rules for a laptop than a phone?

2) Did I only get the notification because my cell phone is on the ATT
network?

If I had a Verizon phone, I wouldn't have seen the notification??

3) OTOH, if it were a Verizon hot-spot, I wouldn't have gotten a
notification about that???? Only those with Verizon phones?

4) When they say you don't have wi-fi in your room, can I assume that
doesn't mean the signal isn't there, only that one needs a password,
which they only give to those who pay? But if that's what it means, and
I paid does that mean I could use my laptop in all the other bedrooms in
the hotel? Or if it's unique to my room, does that mean that other
people could come up to my room and use their laptops there with the
code they gave me, at least one computer at a time, just because I paid?

5) It's the hotel that provided the hotspot, right? ATT didn't
sneak it in. And they wouldn't charge for wi-fi in the room and then
allow or provide a hotspot there for free.... unless they made some
mistake, like they meant to put it on the floor my well-to-do brother
stayed on, the one with the executive lounge. Any chance it was on
my floor or in my room by mistake??

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
Posted to alt.cellular,alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2015 5:52 PM, micky wrote:

However, in the room I got a notification on my Android phone that there
was an ATT wifi hotpot, and indeed, I was able to use wi-fi on the
phone, including googling and reading websites.

1) Does that imply if I had had the laptop with me, it would have
worked too? Or are there stricter rules for a laptop than a phone?

If your laptop uses ATT at home I think you can connect using your att
username and password. or you can use your phone as the "router"

2) Did I only get the notification because my cell phone is on the ATT
network?

If I had a Verizon phone, I wouldn't have seen the notification??

Correct, you get the benefit from ATT.

4) When they say you don't have wi-fi in your room, can I assume that
doesn't mean the signal isn't there, only that one needs a password,
which they only give to those who pay?

Yes.

But if that's what it means, and
I paid does that mean I could use my laptop in all the other bedrooms in
the hotel?

Yea, AFAIK you can share the password.

5) It's the hotel that provided the hotspot, right? ATT didn't
sneak it in. And they wouldn't charge for wi-fi in the room and then
allow or provide a hotspot there for free.... unless they made some
mistake, like they meant to put it on the floor my well-to-do brother
stayed on, the one with the executive lounge. Any chance it was on
my floor or in my room by mistake??

ATT has deals with some restaurants and hotels. Not sure who pays for
what though. Many McDonalds let you connect automatically with your phone.

Posted to alt.cellular,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

First, when you use public hot spot, careful with your personal info.
They don't have much security.
Posted to alt.cellular,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:57:54 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Good point. I only looked at a couple wikipedia pages. It was
easier to use one of the 3 Macs in the lobby, two to be used standing up
and one to be used sitting down. So since my back hurts some times, I
got a chair from the restaurant 30 feet away, at 4AM each of 2 nights.
Next morning, they'd put the chair back. Using Safari, I checked
Private Browsing, but one page I had been to was in the drop down list
at the location box of sites that start with Nati, I think it was. I
was finally sleepy and didnt' have enough time to run more experiements.
I didn't do anything involving money or my personal life.

Wifi thermometers Kurt Ullman Home Repair 35 June 2nd 14 12:42 AM
Wifi TRVs Jon Connell[_2_] UK diy 28 November 21st 13 04:55 PM
What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access? MM UK diy 58 January 7th 13 08:59 PM
wifi dish city Electronics 0 June 7th 08 04:12 PM
DIY DX WiFi? T i m UK diy 31 March 17th 05 06:01 PM