Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Wifi calling on payge sim and a cheap phone?

Well I will be using data. I have a feeling though that the problem at the
moment is that they have yet to increase the net capacity and hence they are
going to make the users pay for the upgrade despite them making money hand
over fist for years, which presumably went into various pockets not the new
kit.
I think there needs to be some enforceable limit on profit made over a long
period somehow or eventually they will all form cartels and kill the goose.
its like this net Neutrality argument.
The isps and those who own the networks feel they need to upgrade capacity,
but some users are watching net flicks and others are simply looking at
email and doing a bit of radio listening etc. So they should be able to
charge the likes of broadcasters according to the usage of the network. The
snag is that outfits like the bbc will also need to pay, which will I think
mean one of two things. Either the catch up sites will all have to get your
dosh, or your isp will charge you for data usage over a given period no
matter how fast your connection is, and maybe block packets from streaming
tv services if you are not willing to pay. In the end somebody has to invest
in the infrastructure to support ever growing bandwidth needs, and in the
end its going to be us!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
To be honest, I'm looking at sim only contracts now as it looks more
economic than the rip off pay as you go anyway. I could then even use the
Amazon Echo for calls.

Umm.. They will still find a way to bump up the monthly charge:-(

Vodafone (because they have a reasonable signal strength. Even Madeira!)
Fixed price sim only contract around £8.50/month. Unlimited texts and
300minutes free calls with 250MB data plus global roaming has now crept up
to £12.50 under various subterfuges.

Discontinued discount, extra data charge (I don't use data!) etc.

--
Tim Lamb