Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone?

I dropped my simple little Samsung 225 cell phone in water, and
since then several functions are not working well. (For instance, if I
turn the phone off, the only way I can turn it back on is to take the
battery off and then reinsert the battery.) However, the phone is
still serviceable, but T-Mobile wants to charge me and arm and a leg
(About $200) for this $25 phone. Therefore, I am wondering whether I
can buy the phone on the market, and then insert my old sim into the
new phone. In such a case will the new phone still connect with
T-Mobile's service. Or, is there possibly another work-around where I
can get a completely working new phone and avoid being overcharged by
T-Mobile.

Thanks for any help,

JD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I dropped my simple little Samsung 225 cell phone in water, and
since then several functions are not working well. (For instance, if I
turn the phone off, the only way I can turn it back on is to take the
battery off and then reinsert the battery.) However, the phone is
still serviceable, but T-Mobile wants to charge me and arm and a leg
(About $200) for this $25 phone. Therefore, I am wondering whether I
can buy the phone on the market, and then insert my old sim into the
new phone. In such a case will the new phone still connect with
T-Mobile's service. Or, is there possibly another work-around where I
can get a completely working new phone and avoid being overcharged by
T-Mobile.

Thanks for any help,

JD

Switcing the sim cards is all that is needed. That is if the phone is
compatiable with your system. Also some phones are 'locked' to a system and
can not be used on another companies service. Over the years I have gotten
3 differant kinds of 'free' phones from my cell phone comapny and all I have
to do is switch cards if I want to use any of them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sim card switching is all you should need to do, but even if the replacement
phone is locked to a network, you shouldn't have trouble finding someone to
unlock it. It's a simple enough job if you have the right gear. There are
people over here that make a good living unlocking phones.

Arfa

OT - Those *#&#%$^& Drivers With Cellphones Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 33 May 29th 06 05:33 PM
How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v? Steve W Woodworking 32 April 28th 06 11:15 PM
[Help] Display problem on cell phone Fjordur Electronics Repair 9 January 12th 06 06:42 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch Nick UK diy 20 January 20th 04 07:57 PM