Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burglar alarms

Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:14:18 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Ignore the 'big name' companies and try the smaller (registered) ones.
There are a couple that I've used locally (but too far from your
location) who have been happy to install/service/whatever without having
an annual contract.

They may not be too happy that you have put the runs in but as long as
they can proper installation tests afterwards they shouldn't be too much
of a problem.

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:14:18 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Ignore the 'big name' companies and try the smaller (registered) ones.
There are a couple that I've used locally (but too far from your
location) who have been happy to install/service/whatever without having
an annual contract.

They may not be too happy that you have put the runs in but as long as
they can proper installation tests afterwards they shouldn't be too much
of a problem.

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company
wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a
self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my cable
runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Burglar alarms (slight thread hijack)

On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
.... snipped

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had
forgotten to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to be
concerned about this?

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in setting
an alarm without monitoring?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Mark Allread wrote:
[...]

OK Chaps. That is reassuring. I'll scratch around locally.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company
wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a
self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my cable
runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are
they all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you have such valuables and assuming they aren't worn / used
regularly, I wonder how the cost of a safety deposit box compares with
a monitored alarm (if it's primarily being fitted for that reason
etc)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
... snipped

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had forgotten
to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to be concerned
about this?

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the printer
ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in setting an alarm
without monitoring?

Yes, you can monitor the system yourself and call the cops out
if you can see the buggers are inside your place and show the cops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company
wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a
self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my
cable runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are they
all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you have such valuables and assuming they aren't worn / used
regularly, I wonder how the cost of a safety deposit box compares with a
monitored alarm (if it's primarily being fitted for that reason etc)?

I'm pretty sure pro systems use cables. Certainly the alarm panel has
inputs for plenty of cables. We have one RF sensor "on the front door).
It's the only one which has given trouble - when I was away from home - as
it happened. Having a service contract helped SWMBO.

I fitted the alarm after being burgled once. VCR taken and various locked
things got damaged. Advice from scene of crime officer: "Burglar alarms
alarm burglars".

Safety deposit boxes may have their uses, but what happens when you take
the item out of the box. Particular item was for daughter2 to wear at her
wedding. 3 days out of the box staying in an hotel.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:27:03 +0100, nomail wrote:

On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
... snipped

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had
forgotten to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to be
concerned about this?

No - if its not a requirement you don't have to declare it. If it is a
requirement it must be used whenever the property is empty (even if a
short trip into town).

Insurance requirements usually require a maintenance contract too.

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in setting
an alarm without monitoring?

Depends on how close your neighbours are and if they have a key for
access. Monitored systems are OK in that they will notify you/keyholder
but can be expensive. Only you know what that peace of mind is worth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:51:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company
wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a
self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my
cable runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are they
all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you have such valuables and assuming they aren't worn / used
regularly, I wonder how the cost of a safety deposit box compares with a
monitored alarm (if it's primarily being fitted for that reason etc)?

First you have to find a safety deposit box. Not easy these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are
they all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

All I know is that my son's monitored system resulted in my getting
calls at 3am (his mobile phone, wherever in the world he was, was always
set to silent and so didn't wake him) until he got the company to change
settings so it required 2 triggers.

Now, after alterations to the house, I always have to reset one false
alarm from one wireless sensor whenever I have been in to check his
house in his absence.

It is usually a lost signal alarm. He has had the company back to
install repeaters but that doesn't seem to have helped.

He has now installed a wife to remove the problem.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 09:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

No recommendations except check/insist on getting maintenance code that
the installer may have changed from default.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 12:00, Bill wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are
they all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

All I know is that my son's monitored system resulted in my getting
calls at 3am (his mobile phone, wherever in the world he was, was always
set to silent and so didn't wake him) until he got the company to change
settings so it required 2 triggers.

Now, after alterations to the house, I always have to reset one false
alarm from one wireless sensor whenever I have been in to check his
house in his absence.

It is usually a lost signal alarm. He has had the company back to
install repeaters but that doesn't seem to have helped.

He has now installed a wife to remove the problem.

I'm sure replacing the wireless with a wire would have been cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/17 11:55, Bob Eager wrote:

First you have to find a safety deposit box. Not easy these days.

Metrobank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:23:05 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
He has now installed a wife to remove the problem.

I'm sure replacing the wireless with a wire would have been cheaper.

You have to take the long-term view.

There's all the washing, ironing, etc he now gets free.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:27:03 +0100, wrote:

On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
... snipped

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had
forgotten to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to be
concerned about this?

You are right to be concerned that an insurer may refuse a claim , if
an alarm has been declared, if there no evidence the alarm was
activated at the time. Any discount on a policy for having an alarm
is normally smaller than the cost of mandatory yearly inspections so
generally not declaring an alarm is fitted is the best approach.

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in setting
an alarm without monitoring?

"Monitored" covers a multitude of sins from the largely ineffective
systems which simply auto dial a preset number to the constant line
monitoring types such as Redcare. Only Type A systems, which must be
maintained and used in accordance with British Standard 4737, BS 7042
(high security systems) or BS 6799 Class VI (wire-free alarms) can be
allocated a unique reference number and qualify for police response.
Even with Type A systems more than 3 false alarms in any rolling 12
month period will result in withdrawal of police response.

Bells only (unmonitored), simple dial up alarms and all wireless
systems (except for the few meeting BS 6799 Class VI) monitored by an
alarm receiving (ARC)) are all Type B systems and cannot be
registered or qualify for police response.

http://www.securedbydesign.com/wp-co...olicy_2015.pdf

Before responding to a Type B alarm police will require some
indication that an offence is in progress, e.g. from a witness saying
they are observing people entering the premises.

The only protection a Type B alarm offers is that it may put off an
opportunist burglar when it goes off. More experienced scrotes will
be well aware that in remote locations or those without co-operative
neighbours nothing much will happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:57:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
First you have to find a safety deposit box. Not easy these days.

Metrobank.

And for anyone north of Milton Keynes, not easy these days.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 13:51, Peter Parry wrote:

You are right to be concerned that an insurer may refuse a claim , if
an alarm has been declared, if there no evidence the alarm was
activated at the time. Any discount on a policy for having an alarm
is normally smaller than the cost of mandatory yearly inspections so
generally not declaring an alarm is fitted is the best approach.

You may find that the discount for having a maintained alarm to be
vanishingly small.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-24, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:51:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

[...]

"You and Yours" was talking about this a few weeks ago. Most banks have
closed their safe holding facilities, and those that haven't seem to
have lost most of what people stored with them.

That was what I meant. Plenty of self storage places, but not for
valuables.

Incidentally, scrotes got away with a load of stuff from two of our sheds
Thursday night. They had to destroy the doors to get in to them. They
managed to get the double back gates open by shinning over, lifting the
drop bolts and charging at the middle. There was just enough slack to
defeat the two locked cross bolts. My wife kept camping equipment in
there - £1500 worth!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 16:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:05:32 +0000, Huge wrote:

Incidentally, scrotes got away with a load of stuff from two of our sheds
Thursday night. They had to destroy the doors to get in to them. They
managed to get the double back gates open by shinning over, lifting the
drop bolts and charging at the middle. There was just enough slack to
defeat the two locked cross bolts. My wife kept camping equipment in
there - £1500 worth!

*******s.

On the plus side last week I noticed someone with a torch in a
neighbours back garden at 2am. I called the neighbours and said "Let the
dog out for a wee". Staffies are very loyal and can give a good bite.

Turned out the dog has already been barking but they put it down to the
wind blowing over the plastic recycle bins.

It's just a pity that Staffies cannot run a bit faster, all it got was a
shoe:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

years ago I was so glad they jemmied open a window rather than using
the unlocked back door.

At what stage after the police had been informed did that happen?:-)

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in
setting an alarm without monitoring?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/17 17:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

years ago I was so glad they jemmied open a window rather than using
the unlocked back door.

At what stage after the police had been informed did that happen?:-)

Well no, they really had done it and saved me the troiuble and SoCo said
'ha yes! same colored Jemmy' (blue)

They caught them. Had done around 15 houses in the area but had come
from another county.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

saved me the troiuble and SoCo said
'ha yes! same colored Jemmy' (blue)

I got one of my Jemmies 'free' when burglars left it behind ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.

You've already done all the hard work. It's not that complicated wiring in
the panel. I managed it OK. ;-)

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , T i m
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

[...]

Most of my neighbours have alarms and we do check in person
when someone's alarm goes off, even tho its mostly a false alarm.

We have seen a number of burglarys and at least one where the
alarm going off saw the burglar scarred off, the outdoor plastic
chair up against the back fence was a dead giveaway.

We also had the house just one house away quite literally burnt
to the ground in the middle of the night. That house didn’t have
an alarm. The occupants were away and a complete ****ing loony
somehow decided that it was infested with demons, broke in at
about 2am, poured petrol everywhere and lit it up.

Silly cow was quite literally living up in the roof space of what
you lot call a council house down the road because she had
decided that her own house was infested with demons too.

She's still 'at large' apparently, we don’t keep them in locked
wards anymore unless they are a danger to others anymore.

Safety deposit boxes may have their uses, but what happens when
you take the item out of the box. Particular item was for daughter2
to wear at her wedding. 3 days out of the box staying in an hotel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:23:05 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
He has now installed a wife to remove the problem.

I'm sure replacing the wireless with a wire would have been cheaper.

You have to take the long-term view.

There's all the washing, ironing, etc he now gets free.

And the divorce that sees him lose the house and half the assets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.

You've already done all the hard work. It's not that complicated wiring in
the panel. I managed it OK. ;-)

A search on local installers came up with several but it is too early to
be getting a system running. Lots of part finished electrical work so I
turn off the power when I am not there.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-24, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:27:03 +0100, nomail wrote:

[19 lines snipped]

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in
setting an alarm without monitoring?

Depends on how close your neighbours are and if they have a key for
access.

And whether you think they'll bother the third time it goes off at 3AM.

Very rare to get false alarms on the ones I've seen

And whether they're prepared to face up to a burglar.

Who says they have to? Quick check - no-one around, enter and re-arm.
Check, someone there, call local MoD police who can be on site very
quickly if they haven't already spotted the alarm.

And if they know a
good boarding up service and locksmith.

Neighbours and I both know and keep details - as do Police.

No alarm, no knowledge and I/they return home to an open door/window
where the rain has been pouring in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 09:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.

I installed a Texecom Premier Elite to replace an earlier system. It
allows remote access via the Internet which was important for me. Quite
good, but long instructions. It is in a bungalow so cables to PIRs are
quite easy. I bought all the bits from some web site.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.

You've already done all the hard work. It's not that complicated wiring in
the panel. I managed it OK. ;-)

If you do your own, don't connect up the external sounder until
you have managed at least 3 months with no false alarms.
Otherwise, you will have blown all credibility in your alarm
by your neighbours, by the time you have it working properly,
and then it's worthless.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you do your own, don't connect up the external sounder until
you have managed at least 3 months with no false alarms.
Otherwise, you will have blown all credibility in your alarm
by your neighbours, by the time you have it working properly,
and then it's worthless.

I think the default position here is that alarms don't have any
credibility, just listening to the widespread cacophony whenever we have
a power blip says everything about how well maintained they are.

I certainly don't bother looking when they go off, unless it's a repeat
nuisance, then I might wander out in my dressing gown to be sure I know
who to complain to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-24, Bob Eager wrote:

[25 lines snipped]

First you have to find a safety deposit box. Not easy these days.

"You and Yours" was talking about this a few weeks ago. Most banks
have closed their safe holding facilities, and those that haven't seem
to have lost most of what people stored with them.

That was what I meant. Plenty of self storage places, but not for
valuables.

Although, how often do storage lockers get broken into?

Incidentally, scrotes got away with a load of stuff from two of our
sheds Thursday night.

Damn. Sorry to hear it. I really must improve the security on our barn.

We have double gates at the side of the house (open into a side street).
Not sure if they came in that way (easier via neighbours on the other
side). They lifted both drop bolts, and defeated the two cross bolts
(locked) by pushing both gates open at once. Can fix that by installing
450mm bolts that cross both gates; they would make too much noise
defeating those.

Sheds were broken into by destroying doors. Wireless alarms going on
those.

Floodlight wiring is there but I never got a tuit before. They are going
in now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not
requiring a maintenance agreement?

Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!

I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change
but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.

So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and
door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and
get it going.

You've already done all the hard work. It's not that complicated wiring in
the panel. I managed it OK. ;-)

If you do your own, don't connect up the external sounder until
you have managed at least 3 months with no false alarms.
Otherwise, you will have blown all credibility in your alarm
by your neighbours, by the time you have it working properly,
and then it's worthless.

Sound advice:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Burglar Alarms Roger UK diy 0 January 22nd 07 01:30 PM
Just curious - flashing LEDs on burglar alarms Jonathan UK diy 43 October 1st 05 09:14 PM
wireless burglar alarms-recommendations? tarquinlinbin UK diy 4 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM
OT. I give up and come back here Burglar alarms Old Nick Metalworking 24 January 1st 05 02:19 PM
Manuals for burglar alarms Security Panels UK diy 1 February 18th 04 12:35 PM