Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Burglar alarms (slight thread hijack)

On 24/09/17 16:34, F wrote:
On 24/09/2017 10:27, wrote:

I've not declared the alarm to the insurance company because I did not
want to find that the insurance company wriggled out of a claim if we
had an "incident" and had forgotten to set the alarm

Exactly what we have done. Even if we were tempted to declare it for any
discount, the discount would be minimal when compared with the
maintenance fee any company would want.

With the alarm, plus a small safe and CCTV I've installed, I reckon (I
hope!) I've done enough to put off all but the most determined piece of
excrement.

A safe is too obvious: story time...

My Grandad was charged with looking after some important (really
important) documents in WWII.

Some official men in suits of the type you do not argue with, came to
visit and asked to see his safe - so he opened it. They got confused
when said documents were not to be seen.

"So where are they, then?"

"See that pile of old newspapers, near the fire..."

One heart attack later, they say the funny side - and the wisdom on the
place they had never thought to look...