Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Burglar alarms (slight thread hijack)

In message , writes
On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
... snipped
I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had
forgotten to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to
be concerned about this?

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in
setting an alarm without monitoring?

Our current alarm was installed by a local company following a burglary.

The insurance co didn't insist on us fitting an alarm but there was
financial encouragement.

Sadly they were taken over by a National company who had a rather
different idea of what an annual maintenance contract should cover:
faulty parts were replaced but at my cost:-(

--
Tim Lamb