Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default OT: Burglar alarms (slight thread hijack)

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:27:03 +0100, wrote:

On 24/09/2017 09:29, Mark Allread wrote:
... snipped

I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is
*not* an insurance requirement.

This raises an interesting point. I've not declared the alarm to the
insurance company because I did not want to find that the insurance
company wriggled out of a claim if we had an "incident" and had
forgotten to set the alarm, the same with window locks. Am I right to be
concerned about this?

You are right to be concerned that an insurer may refuse a claim , if
an alarm has been declared, if there no evidence the alarm was
activated at the time. Any discount on a policy for having an alarm
is normally smaller than the cost of mandatory yearly inspections so
generally not declaring an alarm is fitted is the best approach.

Also, currently dithering about whether or not to start paying for a
monitoring service again. As the OP said: it feels a bit like the
printer ink syndrome but, in a rural area, is there any point in setting
an alarm without monitoring?

"Monitored" covers a multitude of sins from the largely ineffective
systems which simply auto dial a preset number to the constant line
monitoring types such as Redcare. Only Type A systems, which must be
maintained and used in accordance with British Standard 4737, BS 7042
(high security systems) or BS 6799 Class VI (wire-free alarms) can be
allocated a unique reference number and qualify for police response.
Even with Type A systems more than 3 false alarms in any rolling 12
month period will result in withdrawal of police response.

Bells only (unmonitored), simple dial up alarms and all wireless
systems (except for the few meeting BS 6799 Class VI) monitored by an
alarm receiving (ARC)) are all Type B systems and cannot be
registered or qualify for police response.

http://www.securedbydesign.com/wp-co...olicy_2015.pdf

Before responding to a Type B alarm police will require some
indication that an offence is in progress, e.g. from a witness saying
they are observing people entering the premises.

The only protection a Type B alarm offers is that it may put off an
opportunist burglar when it goes off. More experienced scrotes will
be well aware that in remote locations or those without co-operative
neighbours nothing much will happen.