Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Burglar alarms

"charles" wrote in message
In article , T i m
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:39:14 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company
wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a
self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my
cable runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are they
all not wireless etc?

I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than
running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you have such valuables and assuming they aren't worn / used
regularly, I wonder how the cost of a safety deposit box compares with a
monitored alarm (if it's primarily being fitted for that reason etc)?

I'm pretty sure pro systems use cables. Certainly the alarm panel has
inputs for plenty of cables. We have one RF sensor "on the front door).
It's the only one which has given trouble - when I was away from home - as
it happened. Having a service contract helped SWMBO.

I fitted the alarm after being burgled once. VCR taken and various locked
things got damaged. Advice from scene of crime officer: "Burglar alarms
alarm burglars".

Most of my neighbours have alarms and we do check in person
when someone's alarm goes off, even tho its mostly a false alarm.

We have seen a number of burglarys and at least one where the
alarm going off saw the burglar scarred off, the outdoor plastic
chair up against the back fence was a dead giveaway.

We also had the house just one house away quite literally burnt
to the ground in the middle of the night. That house didn’t have
an alarm. The occupants were away and a complete ****ing loony
somehow decided that it was infested with demons, broke in at
about 2am, poured petrol everywhere and lit it up.

Silly cow was quite literally living up in the roof space of what
you lot call a council house down the road because she had
decided that her own house was infested with demons too.

She's still 'at large' apparently, we don’t keep them in locked
wards anymore unless they are a danger to others anymore.

Safety deposit boxes may have their uses, but what happens when
you take the item out of the box. Particular item was for daughter2
to wear at her wedding. 3 days out of the box staying in an hotel.