Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 08:10:35 UTC, Caecilius wrote:
Powering an entire country is very expensive, but Google wants to make
it a bit cheaper with no added infrastructure. According to the
Financial Times, Google Deepmind is opening talks with the UK
government to use the company's artificial intelligence to reduce
energy use by up to 10 percent.

Artificial intelligence is highly adept at spotting patterns and
making predictions that are much too small and subtle for humans to
pick out, which lets AIs to micromanage systems with far greater
efficiency than any human engineer could hope to achieve. For
instance, Google is currently using Deepmind's AI to control its
server rooms, where it manages windows, fan speeds, air conditioning,
and more than a hundred other factors to save Google hundreds of
millions of dollars in electricity costs.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...electric-bill/

(Original article is in the FT apparently, but I don't have a
subscription).

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off lights when there's no-one in the room, adjust the fridge freezer when not at ideal temp, switches off the radiator when a window is left open, underclocks the computer left unattended and turns down the hot water when it has learnt that no-one will be home for hours and so on.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 13:25:42 UTC, wrote:
[...]

We had that 10 years ago in the lecture rooms. I think it was too difficult to get the lecturers to switch off the lights after they left the room.

adjust the fridge freezer when not at ideal temp,

I used to timer delay switch on by a couple of hours until E7 kicked in I gave up on it as it didn't seem to save anything .

switches off the radiator when a window is left open,

underclocks the computer left unattended.

A reaserch project here was looking into doing that on server farms switching off processors and slowing done none critical tasks.

and turns down the hot water when it has learnt that no-one will be home for hours and so on.

checks for strikes on southern rail would be one method. ;-)

This is where IoT would help on knowing yuor train is cancllled use the app on the phone to delay the central heating coming on for a couple of hours etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

tabbypurr wrote:

underclocks the computer left unattended.

Most processors already do that, my laptop slows down from 3GHz to
800MHz when it's not busy, much to the relief of my ear'oles as the fan
is noisy when it's at full chat.

A reaserch project here was looking into doing that on server farms
switching off processors and slowing done none critical tasks.

Let alone research, that feature is live on VMware clusters now. It can
push more idle virtual machines onto fewer physical machines during
quiet periods, then power down some of the physical servers (not just
the processor, the whole server); later as the remaining physical
servers get busier again it can power on more physical servers and
spread the virtual machines out over them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 08:10:35 UTC, Caecilius wrote:
Powering an entire country is very expensive, but Google wants to make
it a bit cheaper with no added infrastructure. According to the
Financial Times, Google Deepmind is opening talks with the UK
government to use the company's artificial intelligence to reduce
energy use by up to 10 percent.

Artificial intelligence is highly adept at spotting patterns and
making predictions that are much too small and subtle for humans to
pick out, which lets AIs to micromanage systems with far greater
efficiency than any human engineer could hope to achieve. For
instance, Google is currently using Deepmind's AI to control its
server rooms, where it manages windows, fan speeds, air conditioning,
and more than a hundred other factors to save Google hundreds of
millions of dollars in electricity costs.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...gle-save-uk-10
-percent-electric-bill/

(Original article is in the FT apparently, but I don't have a
subscription).

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching
off the lights thinking the room was empty.
Snip
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
In article ,
writes
[...]

That used to happen to a colleague of mine in Glasgow. If you rang him on a
winter's afternoon he stayed sufficiently still for the sensors to think he
wasn't there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 19:40:02 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching
off the lights thinking the room was empty.
Snip

Yes it's been done badly, thus no-one has it at home. Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 19:40:02 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept
switching off the lights thinking the room was empty. Snip

Yes it's been done badly, thus no-one has it at home. Except Rod.
Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

Such devices were installed in the dressing rooms and meeting room at our
theatre (late 1990s), but they seemed to come on at random. I found the
manufacturer's instructionsa which said "fit on ceiling, to avoid getting
false signalling through windows". Naturally, they been fitted on the walls
in full view of the windows. When fitted in the correct place they worked
well - except when the occupant stayed still for too long.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 10:04:35 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 19:40:02 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching
off the lights thinking the room was empty.
Snip

Yes it's been done badly, thus no-one has it at home.

I wonder how they would work with security lights and those that come on a dusk.
Most peole that I know don;t like their homes to be left in darkness when they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on holiday.

Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

But would we use it, that is the point. Surely it's at the stage where it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 13:19:01 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 10:04:35 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 19:40:02 UTC, bert wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr writes

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,
Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching
off the lights thinking the room was empty.
Snip

Yes it's been done badly, thus no-one has it at home.

I wonder how they would work with security lights and those that come on a dusk.
Most peole that I know don;t like their homes to be left in darkness when they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on holiday.

hence it will keep lights on where externally visible for security

Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

But would we use it, that is the point. Surely it's at the stage where it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Someone really should lend you a brain.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking whisky-dave wrote :
I wonder how they would work with security lights and those that come on a
dusk.
Most peole that I know don;t like their homes to be left in darkness when
they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on
holiday.

We have one light on a solar clock - 9w LED, which is just left to get
on with it and several more bright ones which are remotely controlled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 14:24:55 UTC, wrote:
[...]

So will only keep lights on where they are windows so won't save much will it.

Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

But would we use it, that is the point. Surely it's at the stage where it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Someone really should lend you a brain.

Have a better one of my own thanks, what's yuor problem.
You do realsie that the city (as in EC ) ends about 5 on a friday, even some of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about .
So why leave all the lights on , why note have them all switched on and off at certain times but that might require IoT something that few peole see any advantage in.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 15:10:13 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking whisky-dave wrote :
I wonder how they would work with security lights and those that come on a
dusk.
Most peole that I know don;t like their homes to be left in darkness when
they are not there so the lights are switched on at night when they are on
holiday.

We have one light on a solar clock - 9w LED, which is just left to get
on with it and several more bright ones which are remotely controlled.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't want or need a detector to turn that LED off when you aren't in that room. What is the advantage of having remortly controlled bright ones ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave formulated on Wednesday :
So I'm guessing you wouldn't want or need a detector to turn that LED off
when you aren't in that room.

It is not a room light, it gives some permanent light to the very dark
drive.

What is the advantage of having remortly
controlled bright ones ?

It was a matter of avoiding running cables to switches and disturbing
decoration. It is quite dark around here and we have a large garden,
backing onto nothingness, which is a slight security risk. I have three
lights lighting that up, fed from a single socket upstairs. I use a
wireless remote control socket, the remote control is kept in the
living room.

I set that up after we had prowlers a few years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 15:59:30 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
whisky-dave formulated on Wednesday :
So I'm guessing you wouldn't want or need a detector to turn that LED off
when you aren't in that room.

It is not a room light, it gives some permanent light to the very dark
drive.

Why do you need a light there anyway ?
I sometimes put the kitchen light on so my cat can see her food.

What is the advantage of having remortly
controlled bright ones ?

It was a matter of avoiding running cables to switches and disturbing
decoration. It is quite dark around here and we have a large garden,
backing onto nothingness, which is a slight security risk. I have three
lights lighting that up, fed from a single socket upstairs. I use a
wireless remote control socket, the remote control is kept in the
living room.

So is this a manual remote or does it dectect movemtment and switch the lights on.

I set that up after we had prowlers a few years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave submitted this idea :
Why do you need a light there anyway ?
I sometimes put the kitchen light on so my cat can see her food.

For making our way to the bins, the hut, the garage and as a deterrent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 16:27:10 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
whisky-dave submitted this idea :
Why do you need a light there anyway ?
I sometimes put the kitchen light on so my cat can see her food.

For making our way to the bins, the hut, the garage and as a deterrent.

So it's only used when you want it, so you wouldn't need a system where if no one is the the light goes off, which is what we were talking about in offices and lecture rooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote :
So it's only used when you want it, so you wouldn't need a system where if no
one is the the light goes off, which is what we were talking about in offices
and lecture rooms.

I did actually mention I used a room occupation switch, where and its
reason - I only mentioned the system I use for the outdoor lighting in
passing. You asked about the latter, I explained as you requested.

The 9w lamp costs around 11p to run for 37 days of use, by my
calculation, so hardly worth struggling in the dark or bothering to
only switch on when needed. I fitted the solar clock way back when we
had 100w of lighting there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 16:46:46 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
whisky-dave wrote :
So it's only used when you want it, so you wouldn't need a system where if no
one is the the light goes off, which is what we were talking about in offices
and lecture rooms.

I did actually mention I used a room occupation switch,

we had them here for a while they weren;t very popular for lecturer rooms but that was 20 years ago, no idea what they do now.

where and its
reason - I only mentioned the system I use for the outdoor lighting in
passing. You asked about the latter, I explained as you requested.

cheers for that so basically it's a similar idea but for differnt reasons.

The 9w lamp costs around 11p to run for 37 days of use, by my
calculation, so hardly worth struggling in the dark or bothering to
only switch on when needed.

Which makes sense but do yuo manually switch it on or is it automated by time or movement.

I fitted the solar clock way back when we
had 100w of lighting there.

Yes that would be well worth keeping off unless you wanted them on.
Here we have LED lighting under the handrails of the roof area which is in sunlight at the monment and they are ON so I:m not sure how this is saving money or electricity as last year we didn't have any lights theres day or night.

Just a bit annoyed by our Green Mary awards were they find places to put LEDs to save electricity but no LEDS/lights were they before so how does installing them save anything especailly when they are on during teh day and no ones thre at night.?
Other than getting a manager promotion OI don't see the point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave submitted this idea :
Which makes sense but do yuo manually switch it on or is it automated by
time or movement.

As said, it is turned on and off by a solar time clock, there is no
manual switch apart from on the clock. It turns on by a time clock
which adjusts itself for sunset, but irrespective of sunrise time - it
is set to go off at around 11:30pm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
whisky-dave submitted this idea :
Which makes sense but do yuo manually switch it on or is it automated
by time or movement.

As said, it is turned on and off by a solar time clock, there is no
manual switch apart from on the clock. It turns on by a time clock which
adjusts itself for sunset, but irrespective of sunrise time - it is set
to go off at around 11:30pm.

have you managed to find an electronic solar clock? Or, are you still
having to use a mechanical one?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 15:12:26 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 14:24:55 UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

fairly typical lounge:
usual lighting 57w
to light the window 11w

Except Rod. Hopefully it'll get done well enough & cheaply enough that we all have it.

But would we use it, that is the point. Surely it's at the stage where it can be in most offices but if yuo look at commercial towers in large cities all the lights are on. You only have to see a few night shots of the offices in carnery wharf amonst other places.

Someone really should lend you a brain.

Have a better one of my own thanks, what's yuor problem.
You do realsie that the city (as in EC ) ends about 5 on a friday, even some of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 18:31:07 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Maybe yuor burglars are realy thick I;d have thought they would be able to work out that a light to just a window means you are out.

Have a better one of my own thanks, what's yuor problem.
You do realsie that the city (as in EC ) ends about 5 on a friday, even some of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about .

???

Check out the city of london skay line about 3am sunday moring and explain to me why there's so many working in office blocks at that time.

So why leave all the lights on , why note have them all switched on and off at certain times but that might require IoT something that few peole see any advantage in.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 04:31:30 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

Check out the city of london skay line about 3am sunday moring and
explain to me why there's so many working in office blocks at
that time.

The cleaners are in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 12:34:55 UTC, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 04:31:30 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

Check out the city of london skay line about 3am sunday moring and
explain to me why there's so many working in office blocks at
that time.

The cleaners are in.

Yeah sure cleaning 100+ offices at the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 11:31:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 18:31:07 UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

obviousy the point is they can't tell with curtains closed. You should apply for that brain.

Have a better one of my own thanks, what's yuor problem.
You do realsie that the city (as in EC ) ends about 5 on a friday, even some of teh local pubs are closed on a saturday because there's no one about .

???

Check out the city of london skay line about 3am sunday moring and explain to me why there's so many working in office blocks at that time.

So why leave all the lights on , why note have them all switched on and off at certain times but that might require IoT something that few peole see any advantage in.

how irrelevant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 16:29:34 UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 11:31:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 18:31:07 UTC, tabby wrote:

Maybe yuor burglars are realy thick I;d have thought they would be able to work out that a light to just a window means you are out.

obviousy the point is they can't tell with curtains closed. You should apply for that brain.

So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 16:58:18 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 16:29:34 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 11:31:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 18:31:07 UTC, tabby wrote:

Maybe yuor burglars are realy thick I;d have thought they would be able to work out that a light to just a window means you are out.

obviousy the point is they can't tell with curtains closed. You should apply for that brain.

So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security & energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 17:30:53 UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 16:58:18 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 16:29:34 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 11:31:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 18:31:07 UTC, tabby wrote:

Maybe yuor burglars are realy thick I;d have thought they would be able to work out that a light to just a window means you are out.

obviousy the point is they can't tell with curtains closed. You should apply for that brain.

So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security & energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

I thought such things were already availble not off the shelf but can be built to order, a mile from me is a place that makes electric gates few places locally have such a thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every
appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security &
energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

I thought such things were already availble not off the shelf but can be
built to order, a mile from me is a place that makes electric gates few
places locally have such a thing.

Electric curtains have been around for at least 50 years. Easiest way was
a motor unit which worked with any corded track.

There (was) a firm in Croydon who made them - called PowerCord. Used what
looked like a couple of gramophone turntable motors and a custom made
gearbox. They also made larger units for theatre etc curtains.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:39:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every
appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security &
energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

I thought such things were already availble not off the shelf but can be
built to order, a mile from me is a place that makes electric gates few
places locally have such a thing.

Electric curtains have been around for at least 50 years. Easiest way was
a motor unit which worked with any corded track.

There (was) a firm in Croydon who made them - called PowerCord. Used what
looked like a couple of gramophone turntable motors and a custom made
gearbox. They also made larger units for theatre etc curtains.

A friend said he made his own by using an old sony VCR as the control. Sound duibious to me even if you could gear down the motors.
But it was remote controlled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Mine works from an ordinary two way switched circuit. Fixed switching -
with the switch(s) in a sensible position means you don't have to search
for the remote control. I'm surprised a VCR motor had enough grunt.

Mine is in the bedroom, and it's nice to open the curtains in the morning
before getting out of bed, on a sunny day.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *