Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default [OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

In article ,
writes
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 08:10:35 UTC, Caecilius wrote:
Powering an entire country is very expensive, but Google wants to make
it a bit cheaper with no added infrastructure. According to the
Financial Times, Google Deepmind is opening talks with the UK
government to use the company's artificial intelligence to reduce
energy use by up to 10 percent.

Artificial intelligence is highly adept at spotting patterns and
making predictions that are much too small and subtle for humans to
pick out, which lets AIs to micromanage systems with far greater
efficiency than any human engineer could hope to achieve. For
instance, Google is currently using Deepmind's AI to control its
server rooms, where it manages windows, fan speeds, air conditioning,
and more than a hundred other factors to save Google hundreds of
millions of dollars in electricity costs.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...gle-save-uk-10
-percent-electric-bill/

(Original article is in the FT apparently, but I don't have a
subscription).

I expect one day we'll have micromanagement that turns down or off
lights when there's no-one in the room,

Been here years. DSS had it in their offices in Lytham. Trouble was in
the afternoons when everyone was asleep at their desks it kept switching
off the lights thinking the room was empty.
Snip
--
bert