Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Google Wants to Use AI to Cut the UK's Electric Bill by 10 Percent

On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:39:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
So they won't realise the curtains have been closed all day then.

I would have thought that by the time we get micromanagement of every
appliance that would include motorised curtain rails for security &
energy conservation. But we won't know for sure until it happens.

I thought such things were already availble not off the shelf but can be
built to order, a mile from me is a place that makes electric gates few
places locally have such a thing.

Electric curtains have been around for at least 50 years. Easiest way was
a motor unit which worked with any corded track.

There (was) a firm in Croydon who made them - called PowerCord. Used what
looked like a couple of gramophone turntable motors and a custom made
gearbox. They also made larger units for theatre etc curtains.

A friend said he made his own by using an old sony VCR as the control. Sound duibious to me even if you could gear down the motors.
But it was remote controlled.