Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Network Dymo label printer?

Hi All,

A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and seeing
how useful they can be (keeping stuff organised / marked up etc) I
fancied one. Daughter would probably also make use of said, I was
wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?

So, I imagine some here may also use such things (other makes
considered) I was wondering (after a quick Google myself) if there was
a networkable one that anyone could *recommend*?

I ask because sometimes the latest / current offering isn't as good as
a former model and a second hand older one could be a better bet?

I don't have a specific use in mind, just maybe marking storage boxes,
equipment and document folders etc. I have a couple of the hand held
(Dymo, 'LetraTag' / 12mm) label makers for the smaller stuff.

As I have a server on whenever any machine is on then I guess I could
also offer a USB only printer on there as a shared device if that is a
feature option.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and
seeing I was wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?

I have a USB dymo printer (the tape one, not the address label one) but
it ends up as a standard windows printer, so it could be shared over the
LAN/WiFi to any other device on the network.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo
sell a separate print server for the purpose. May as well share it from
your server.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and seeing
how useful they can be (keeping stuff organised / marked up etc) I
fancied one. Daughter would probably also make use of said, I was
wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?

Although mine runs from USB, the USB socket can't provide enough current,
so it charges an internal battery.
And obviously has to be used beside a computer (with the labeller
software) to type in what's needed. The ability to use it on Wi-Fi doesn't
seem to offer any advantage to me - if you subsequently had to plug it in
to charge the battery.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/16 13:15, T i m wrote:
As I have a server on whenever any machine is on then I guess I could
also offer a USB only printer on there as a shared device if that is a
feature option.

That is just as good, and often better

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:21:31 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and
seeing I was wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?

I have a USB dymo printer (the tape one, not the address label one) but
it ends up as a standard windows printer, so it could be shared over the
LAN/WiFi to any other device on the network.

Thanks for that Andy.

My secondary question (after if it would be sharable or not) is can
any / the matching software also deal with the printer being
'remote'?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:23:07 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo
sell a separate print server for the purpose.

This one looks like it is?

http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanag...np-label-maker

May as well share it from
your server.

I could ... just that means I have to position it within a
USB-cable's-length of my server rather than where it's most
convenient. ;-(

If it's supported by Linux I could make a std one WiFi by sharing it
off a Raspberry Pi3. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 14:06:20 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and seeing
how useful they can be (keeping stuff organised / marked up etc) I
fancied one. Daughter would probably also make use of said, I was
wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?

Although mine runs from USB, the USB socket can't provide enough current,
so it charges an internal battery.

Ok.

And obviously has to be used beside a computer (with the labeller
software) to type in what's needed.

Ok.

The ability to use it on Wi-Fi doesn't
seem to offer any advantage to me - if you subsequently had to plug it in
to charge the battery.

Well no, other than I'm guessing it *can* function as a stand-alone
but network-shared device, you could 1) position it where you like in
the house (subject to it being within wireless range and near a power
socket etc) and 2) anyone (on your network) can use it, even if any
host / server machines are turned off?

I was thinking ahead in that my WHS only powers on when a Windows
client is connected and so if there was a Dymo Android app, a truly
'stand alone' printer might still be useable.

As I mentioned elsewhere, maybe a basic USB model hanging off a
Raspberry Pi3 (running Linux) could fit the bill, as long as it is
easy to do as I don't know (personally) a one Linux geek that could
help me.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:04:06 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 14/12/16 13:15, T i m wrote:
As I have a server on whenever any machine is on then I guess I could
also offer a USB only printer on there as a shared device if that is a
feature option.

That is just as good, and often better

... as long as the host machine is on. As mentioned elsewhere ... it
it were self sufficient as a network device and you could print to it
from an Android tablet, that could be very handy.

So, plug it into a Pi3 and share it but is it supported by Linux?

Drivers & Downloads
DYMO Label™ Software v8.6, Mac®
DYMO Label™ Software v8.6, Windows®

http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanag...np-label-maker

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/16 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:23:07 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo
sell a separate print server for the purpose.

This one looks like it is?

http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanag...np-label-maker

May as well share it from
your server.

I could ... just that means I have to position it within a
USB-cable's-length of my server rather than where it's most
convenient. ;-(

If it's supported by Linux I could make a std one WiFi by sharing it
off a Raspberry Pi3. ;-)

Axshully its possible to make it a 'raw' device and put the drivers for
it elsewhere on e,g. the winboxen using the pi as server.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:58:42 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 14/12/16 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:23:07 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo
sell a separate print server for the purpose.

This one looks like it is?

http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanag...np-label-maker

May as well share it from
your server.

I could ... just that means I have to position it within a
USB-cable's-length of my server rather than where it's most
convenient. ;-(

If it's supported by Linux I could make a std one WiFi by sharing it
off a Raspberry Pi3. ;-)

Axshully its possible to make it a 'raw' device and put the drivers for
it elsewhere on e,g. the winboxen using the pi as server.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can try it out on a mates printer
before buying one myself.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
So, plug it into a Pi3 and share it but is it supported by Linux?

Yes, there's a CUPS driver. It's even written by Dymo:
http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/dymo-label...ups-linux-p--1

Works on the Pi too:
https://www.hmazter.com/2013/05/rasp...or-labelwriter

That makes it a printer - you can print to it from any software.
However you probably want to look around for suitable label software, since
some features of label software (eg resizing text to fit the label) aren't
standard on normal wordprocessors.

(The CUPS driver also avoids the pile of bloatware that is the official Dymo
software)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec 2016 21:01:23 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
So, plug it into a Pi3 and share it but is it supported by Linux?

Yes, there's a CUPS driver. It's even written by Dymo:
http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/dymo-label...ups-linux-p--1

Cool. ;-)

Works on the Pi too:
https://www.hmazter.com/2013/05/rasp...or-labelwriter

Nice walk through (at first glance) and I will be a good test to see
just how comprehensive it is. ;-)

That makes it a printer - you can print to it from any software.

And from Windows, OSX and Linux OS client machines (hopefully)?

However you probably want to look around for suitable label software, since
some features of label software (eg resizing text to fit the label) aren't
standard on normal wordprocessors.

But don't Dymo offer a (Windows?) app that makes all that easy?

(The CUPS driver also avoids the pile of bloatware that is the official Dymo
software)

I'm not sure if you have already explained / answered this as I don't
know enough about the workings of Linux ... but does that mean you can
use the supplied Windows app to print though the Pi to the Dymo just
as one would normally please Theo?

Basically I'm hoping for a 'Networked Dymo Printer' and any server
solution to be transparent in use.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
That makes it a printer - you can print to it from any software.

And from Windows, OSX and Linux OS client machines (hopefully)?

Yes.

I'm not sure if you have already explained / answered this as I don't
know enough about the workings of Linux ... but does that mean you can
use the supplied Windows app to print though the Pi to the Dymo just
as one would normally please Theo?

I'm not sure. On a Mac it does use the usual printing system (which happens
to be CUPS). I don't know if the Windows app uses the Windows printing
system, or does its own thing.

The Mac app does have a 'add network printer' option, but that seems to be
searching for printers - there's no way to configure a specific network
printer URL that I can see.

Ah, it does seem to use standard Windows printer sharing (ch 3):
http://download.dymo.com/dymo/user-g...uide_en-US.pdf

so it should be the same as adding any other shared printer (speaking IPP
rather than Samba since it's being shared from CUPS).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:15:53 -0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

You can buy an ethernet to USB convertor (i.e. a little box that pretends to be a computer and shares a USB printer etc on the network). I've used several and they're almost as easy as a proper network printer.

--
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

You can buy an ethernet to USB convertor (i.e. a little box that pretends to be a computer and shares a USB printer etc on the network). I've used several and they're almost as easy as a proper network printer.

Yes, I've been using stand-alone 'print servers' [1] (and fitting
JetDirect cards in HPLJ's etc) since the days of thin Ethernet but
haven't used one of late or ever used a UTP USB one (that I can
remember, just to parallel).

I'm also never sure if they fully support all printers ('if it's not
on the list it may not work' etc) so if I bought something like the
TP-LINK TL-PS110U at ~£23 I'd be less sure of success than if I bought
the genuine Dymo Print Server at around 90 quid!

That's why I think I'd be inclined to give TP-Link CS a call and see
what they think the chances are and if less than positive, try the RPi
solution.

Cheers, T i m

[1] What were the printing options on a Netware server? You could have
it as a direct print server itself (printer plugged into the server
directly) or redirect the queue out to a remote networked printer
(possibly hanging off a workstation or hardware print server).
'RPrinter' was it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/12/16 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:23:07 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo
sell a separate print server for the purpose.

This one looks like it is?

http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanag...np-label-maker

May as well share it from
your server.

I could ... just that means I have to position it within a
USB-cable's-length of my server rather than where it's most
convenient. ;-(

If it's supported by Linux I could make a std one WiFi by sharing it
off a Raspberry Pi3. ;-)

Axshully its possible to make it a 'raw' device and put the drivers for
it elsewhere on e,g. the winboxen using the pi as server.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can try it out on a mates printer
before buying one myself.

Cheers, T i m

We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic
labels (as opposed to just printing on tiny paper), you need the
designer software on the client anyway, otherwise you get problems with
font and margin sizes. The client software is (as you'll know) also a
nice database client for things like addresses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:54:51 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic
labels (as opposed to just printing on tiny paper), you need the
designer software on the client anyway,

Agreed, assuming you are looking for an 'easy solution' (and I am).

otherwise you get problems with
font and margin sizes.

I did set one up for someone once to be used on Windows or Mac (USB
lead swap) and as you say, printing with anything than the supplied
app, even those aimed at printing on labels (like postal packages)
seemed very experimental / touchy.

The client software is (as you'll know) also a
nice database client for things like addresses.

No, I didn't know buy you sorta reminded me I may have seen the
beginnings of such when I was installing for a friend. (This is the
problem when being a 'hardware guy' you tend to set these things up
but don't get to see what happens after that). ;-)

OOI, do you know if you can also print to the likes of a (network
shared even) Dymo from Android or iOS please?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:54:51 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

[...]

We use ours for very specific purposes, so I've never tried Android or iOS.

I /have/ played with the JavaScript API (which is good), and it looks
like there is also mobile API, but until a few minutes ago, I'd never
heard of it.

http://developers.dymo.com/2011/07/1...-android-beta/

And, of course, at one level, it is just another printer.

Searching for 'dymo labelwriter android' reveals that other people are
finding ways of doing it :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic
labels (as opposed to just printing on tiny paper), you need the
designer software on the client anyway, otherwise you get problems with
font and margin sizes. The client software is (as you'll know) also a
nice database client for things like addresses.

Mine also saves the font and size for different projects. As well as
having a ruler that allows you to space things for best fit. Can't see any
reason not to use the proper software as it doesn't cost extra.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
OOI, do you know if you can also print to the likes of a (network
shared even) Dymo from Android or iOS please?

I can make my Dymo print from this Acorn machine (I discovered by mistake)
which prints via a PC. It just sees the Dymo as another printer. So I'd
guess that would apply with anything?

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

The standalone print-servers I used just worked, on anything. Parallel and USB. As long as you had the driver for the printer on the computer, it passed everything through.

--
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

HP direct type stuff is a straight port thing. Cant remember which
port(s) tho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

ISTR you add a TCP/IP printing port.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/16 19:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

yeah. But there's 631 which is cups. another one for LPD and something
like 9100/1/2/3 for HP jet direct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:05:57 -0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I think that's what I always used. Epson and HP.

--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:44:29 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

I'm also never sure if they fully support all printers ('if it's not
on the list it may not work' etc) so if I bought something like the
TP-LINK TL-PS110U at ~£23 I'd be less sure of success than if I bought
the genuine Dymo Print Server at around 90 quid!

That's why I think I'd be inclined to give TP-Link CS a call and see
what they think the chances are and if less than positive, try the RPi
solution.

The standalone print-servers I used just worked, on anything. Parallel and USB.

Ok.

As long as you had the driver for the printer on the computer, it passed everything through.

Ok, it might be worth a go with a basic dedicated server then.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:21:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
OOI, do you know if you can also print to the likes of a (network
shared even) Dymo from Android or iOS please?

I can make my Dymo print from this Acorn machine (I discovered by mistake)
which prints via a PC. It just sees the Dymo as another printer. So I'd
guess that would apply with anything?

Noted.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:18:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic
labels (as opposed to just printing on tiny paper), you need the
designer software on the client anyway, otherwise you get problems with
font and margin sizes. The client software is (as you'll know) also a
nice database client for things like addresses.

Mine also saves the font and size for different projects. As well as
having a ruler that allows you to space things for best fit. Can't see any
reason not to use the proper software as it doesn't cost extra.

Certainly so if you get the choice (like Windows and Mac users). It
seems a shame that Dymo offer a Linux driver (via CUPS?) but don't
offer the 'handy' printing app?

In the same way I think it's a shame that the likes of Garmin and
TomTom don't offer much in the way of Linux support when their devices
probably run on it?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:18:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

It's the price you pay for running a wonderful OS which is so much better
than Windose in every way. According to many here. ;-)

I prefer RISC OS for much of my day to day stuff. But accept its
limitations and use Windows for the things it does best.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/12/16 19:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 09:50:40 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 00:14:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh, right. You mean (TCP/IP) port number. I thought you meant
(COM/LPT/USB) port number :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:50:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:18:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

I think that should read 'according to a tiny minority here' as I'm
pretty sure that only a tiny minority are running Linux in the first
place and many of those (here) would be realists and tread an OS as
you or I do, a tool, a means_to_an_end. On the Linux n/g's on the
other hand (and even in contrast to the moderated Linux forums where
any fanaticism is nipped in the bud at the first outburst) there is no
other OS or world even than that of *nix. ;-)

I prefer RISC OS for much of my day to day stuff.

Ok. On what machine OOI (I'm not sure I've ever used a native RISC
computer [1]) and 'why' (may I ask)?

But accept its
limitations and use Windows for the things it does best.

Which ironically is 'most everyday things', or I'm guessing more
people would by Macs or even find out that there is a Free (of cost,
few are interested in any other use of the word) OS that would be
reasonably likely to run on their existing hardware and do *most* of
what some people want.

I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit
*they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no
native Linux alternatives.

Linux is like an electric car. Great idea in principal but very
restricted and totally unusable for / by many (especially when it
needs fixing and no one they know has a clue and you can't find a
place easily that will look at it either). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Weren't some of the PC (Intel?) CPU's RISC internally but had a
CISC external interface or summat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/16 09:21, T i m wrote:
I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit
*they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no
native Linux alternatives.

The best way to run windows is with an older version inside either WINE
or a virtual sandbox.

Many of my linux programs have no Windows alternatives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:03:51 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/16 09:21, T i m wrote:
I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit
*they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no
native Linux alternatives.

The best way to run windows is with an older version inside either WINE
or a virtual sandbox.

No, that would be the_worst_way for the vast majority of ordinary
computer users (extra layers of things likely to go wrong or making it
all more difficult).

Many of my linux programs have no Windows alternatives.

And how many of those do you think 'most people' (eg, not you or any
other cut-your-nose-off-to-spite-your-face-geek) would ever miss?

Don't get me wrong, my first port of call when testing some
misbehaving hardware (typically running Windows) is a Linux Live DVD
or Pen drive and I often use Gparted because it's good at what it
does. However, I could also use BART_PE or Hirens to do similar and
often more.

So, I give a none geek a dual boot solution of Windows and Linux. The
Linux is all set up to do what they require as close as possible and I
show them how to do the basic maintenance stuff (like running the
Linux updates).

*Every single one* will try Linux for a while, see no point and carry
on using Windows (eventually asking me to take Linux off completely).

Now, if (say) I say their PC can't be upgraded to the next version of
Windows and is both screwed up AND not a genuine copy ... and I give
them Linux instead ... what generally happens is a while later get a
call asking me if I want their PC as they have gone out and bought a
new (Windows) one. This is because they either 'couldn't get on with'
or simply 'didn't like' Linux (their choice after all) or they
actually *needed* something like iTunes, tried to install it on Linux,
found it didn't work and so just wanted a working solution.

For them, trying to run Linux as their daily desktop is like the tail
wagging the dog, just the same as trying to use a Plug-In EV as a 24
hour a day emergency response vehicle where one call out could exhaust
the battery.

However, since I've been involved in Linux (this time round) it *is*
getting better every new release but because it is what it is ... and
is 'managed' by the people like you ... it will always be a 'nearly
ran' when it could be so much more.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/16 11:14, T i m wrote:
*Every single one* will try Linux for a while, see no point and carry
on using Windows (eventually asking me to take Linux off completely).

reverse in my case. Users who find windows difficult find linux no harder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:25:01 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/16 11:14, T i m wrote:
*Every single one* will try Linux for a while, see no point and carry
on using Windows (eventually asking me to take Linux off completely).

reverse in my case.

Of course it would be. ;-)

Users who find windows difficult find linux no harder.

I said nothing about anyone finding anything difficult, just the
expectation of being able to do anything they may want to do and may
have done previously they can no longer do (at all, often) on Linux.

After all, if *you* could do everything you wanted with just Linux you
wouldn't still be running Windows programs on Windows VMs or in WINE
would you eh. ;-)

I would love to be able to find an instance where giving someone Linux
actually makes their day better or the usage of their machine easier
but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. But unlike you, I'm not a
Linux (or any OS for that matter) advocate and so (of course) help
people with whatever solution works best for *them*. If that happened
to be Linux (as it hasn't to the exclusion of Windows for the
must-have programs as yet), I would be very happy, well till it went
wrong and they *expected* me to be able to fix it. I have done so but
I was very much out of my depth, and that is in spite of building,
installing and maintaining PC's (and servers running Windows, Netware
and OS/2) for many many years.

It seems very little of the skill (that seemed to be more than
sufficient for every Co I've worked for or individual I've helped)
that I gained from dealing with DOS, CPM, Windows, OS2, Apple OS, OSX,
Netware or even Android has been any use to me re maintaining Linux.

Maybe that was because MSDOS was simple and most of the rest could be
(mostly) maintained via the GUI which was easily explorable, unlike
the CLI?

But hey, horses for courses and I've never dissed anyone who found any
one OS 'better' for their needs than something else, I just have
issues with the fanatics who diss something used daily by billions of
people with no issues what so ever but who actually use such things
themselves!

If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen ... *completely*,
or STFU. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/12/16 11:14, T i m wrote:
*Every single one* will try Linux for a while, see no point and carry
on using Windows (eventually asking me to take Linux off completely).

reverse in my case.

Of course it would be. ;-)

Users who find windows difficult find linux no harder.

I said nothing about anyone finding anything difficult, just the
expectation of being able to do anything they may want to do and may
have done previously they can no longer do (at all, often) on Linux.

After all, if *you* could do everything you wanted with just Linux you
wouldn't still be running Windows programs on Windows VMs or in WINE
would you eh. ;-)

I am down to just two CAD programs and they run better in a VM than they
ever did on native windows. TBH I probably dnt even need Core Draw as
there are equally good vector graphics programs, but I am used to ot.

3D CAD is the only thing I need windows for.

About once or twice a year these days.

I would love to be able to find an instance where giving someone Linux
actually makes their day better or the usage of their machine easier
but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. But unlike you, I'm not a
Linux (or any OS for that matter) advocate and so (of course) help
people with whatever solution works best for *them*.

I'm only a advocate because life got better when I moved to Linux.

That was eary 2000's. Since the its just got easier.

If that happened
to be Linux (as it hasn't to the exclusion of Windows for the
must-have programs as yet), I would be very happy, well till it went
wrong and they *expected* me to be able to fix it. I have done so but
I was very much out of my depth, and that is in spite of building,
installing and maintaining PC's (and servers running Windows, Netware
and OS/2) for many many years.

It seems very little of the skill (that seemed to be more than
sufficient for every Co I've worked for or individual I've helped)
that I gained from dealing with DOS, CPM, Windows, OS2, Apple OS, OSX,
Netware or even Android has been any use to me re maintaining Linux.

I never maintain linux. I just hit the button and it updates.

Its easier than windows. It doesn't demand to be rebooted.

Maybe that was because MSDOS was simple and most of the rest could be
(mostly) maintained via the GUI which was easily explorable, unlike
the CLI?

No one uses the CLI in linux these days unless they are some kind of
purist geek or running a server with no screen.

But hey, horses for courses and I've never dissed anyone who found any
one OS 'better' for their needs than something else, I just have
issues with the fanatics who diss something used daily by billions of
people with no issues what so ever but who actually use such things
themselves!

If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen ... *completely*,
or STFU. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
It's the price you pay for running a wonderful OS which is so much
better than Windose in every way. According to many here. ;-)

I think that should read 'according to a tiny minority here' as I'm
pretty sure that only a tiny minority are running Linux in the first
place and many of those (here) would be realists and tread an OS as
you or I do, a tool, a means_to_an_end.

You'd hope so, but you can virtually guarantee any Windows question on
here will get a 'you should be using Linix' answer from the usual
suspects. Who seem to worship that as much as St Nige. ;-)

On the Linux n/g's on the
other hand (and even in contrast to the moderated Linux forums where
any fanaticism is nipped in the bud at the first outburst) there is no
other OS or world even than that of *nix. ;-)

I prefer RISC OS for much of my day to day stuff.

Ok. On what machine OOI (I'm not sure I've ever used a native RISC
computer [1]) and 'why' (may I ask)?

I'm probably of an age where RISC OS can have been your first experience
of computers. At work, in my case. But have never really been a computer
nerd. It served my purpose very well until browsers started using things
that RISC OS couldn't provide or keep up with the latest versions. Things
like Javascript, Flash and so on. That I'll bet Linux have the same
problems with. So I simply added a PC to the workstation via a KVM switch.
Allowing me to stick with the OS I like for the things it still does well,
but have a PC for those it doesn't. Ie, mainly browsing and AV stuff.

But accept its
limitations and use Windows for the things it does best.

Which ironically is 'most everyday things', or I'm guessing more
people would by Macs or even find out that there is a Free (of cost,
few are interested in any other use of the word) OS that would be
reasonably likely to run on their existing hardware and do *most* of
what some people want.

Sadly most will want one which does everything. Which usually means
Windows.

I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit
*they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no
native Linux alternatives.

Linux is like an electric car. Great idea in principal but very
restricted and totally unusable for / by many (especially when it
needs fixing and no one they know has a clue and you can't find a
place easily that will look at it either). ;-)

But then I have two cars too. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Weren't some of the PC (Intel?) CPU's RISC internally but had a
CISC external interface or summat?

There are modern RISC OS computers. Very high cost though.

This ancient RPC has twin processors. The second one (486) to turn it into
a PC. But sadly never worked as well as a PC running the same processor
natively. But in any case bowed out after Win98.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[Big Snip]

There are modern RISC OS computers. Very high cost though.

Are you saying that a Raspberry Pi is expensive?

Regards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ron Briscoe wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[Big Snip]

There are modern RISC OS computers. Very high cost though.

Are you saying that a Raspberry Pi is expensive?

No. But it's not what most would consider a desktop computer. Or a laptop,
come to that. But certainly a cheap enough introduction.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dymo labler. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 14 November 19th 15 05:57 PM
Printer vanishes from network ! Andrew Mawson[_2_] UK diy 8 February 7th 14 05:56 PM
Dymo Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 October 2nd 13 04:18 PM
How to Network a Parallel Port Printer? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 50 October 18th 07 06:13 PM
Help: with Seiko EZ30 label printer and WIn XP? Aslaner Electronics Repair 1 September 30th 04 06:51 PM