Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Network Dymo label printer?

In article ,
T i m wrote:
It's the price you pay for running a wonderful OS which is so much
better than Windose in every way. According to many here. ;-)

I think that should read 'according to a tiny minority here' as I'm
pretty sure that only a tiny minority are running Linux in the first
place and many of those (here) would be realists and tread an OS as
you or I do, a tool, a means_to_an_end.

You'd hope so, but you can virtually guarantee any Windows question on
here will get a 'you should be using Linix' answer from the usual
suspects. Who seem to worship that as much as St Nige. ;-)

On the Linux n/g's on the
other hand (and even in contrast to the moderated Linux forums where
any fanaticism is nipped in the bud at the first outburst) there is no
other OS or world even than that of *nix. ;-)

I prefer RISC OS for much of my day to day stuff.

Ok. On what machine OOI (I'm not sure I've ever used a native RISC
computer [1]) and 'why' (may I ask)?

I'm probably of an age where RISC OS can have been your first experience
of computers. At work, in my case. But have never really been a computer
nerd. It served my purpose very well until browsers started using things
that RISC OS couldn't provide or keep up with the latest versions. Things
like Javascript, Flash and so on. That I'll bet Linux have the same
problems with. So I simply added a PC to the workstation via a KVM switch.
Allowing me to stick with the OS I like for the things it still does well,
but have a PC for those it doesn't. Ie, mainly browsing and AV stuff.

But accept its
limitations and use Windows for the things it does best.

Which ironically is 'most everyday things', or I'm guessing more
people would by Macs or even find out that there is a Free (of cost,
few are interested in any other use of the word) OS that would be
reasonably likely to run on their existing hardware and do *most* of
what some people want.

Sadly most will want one which does everything. Which usually means
Windows.

I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit
*they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no
native Linux alternatives.

Linux is like an electric car. Great idea in principal but very
restricted and totally unusable for / by many (especially when it
needs fixing and no one they know has a clue and you can't find a
place easily that will look at it either). ;-)

But then I have two cars too. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Weren't some of the PC (Intel?) CPU's RISC internally but had a
CISC external interface or summat?

There are modern RISC OS computers. Very high cost though.

This ancient RPC has twin processors. The second one (486) to turn it into
a PC. But sadly never worked as well as a PC running the same processor
natively. But in any case bowed out after Win98.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.