Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dodgy dog - what to do

news
On 08/12/16 20:31, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 12:56, Hankat wrote:

news On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs
that are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to
pain
or insecurity.

Its just a husky being a husky.

I'm not sure that "it's just a husky being a husky" is an excuse,
if the
behaviour is *interpreted* as being threatening by other people.
Other
people aren't to know that a dog that is barking and straining at its
lead only wants to "lick you to death" and not to bite you. Even if
the
dog didn't bite, it could knock over a child in its sheer
exuberance to
make friends.

That's a slippery slope, that's already been done to death by
'minority' interests who claim that what counts are not the facts of
the case, but how they FEEL about the facts..

I mean us poor men feel sexually abused every time a women glances at
our crotches, or puts on predatory makeup... ;-)

It sounds as if the owners of the dog have got a real handful and
aren't
able to keep it in control. Yes, the owners should train it to calm
down, but many of the largest, most threatening dogs are owned by the
people who are least likely to take kindly to being recommended to
train
their dog. I hesitate to use the c--v word :-)

I cant think of a single word in the English language that ends in
'v'...Slavic perhaps...

Pov, chav, lav...

None of those are english words. Either acronyms,

Nope.

pov is acronym, Point Of View

That is just one meaning of pov.
https://www.wordnik.com/words/pov

abbreviations,

Plenty of english words are abbreviations, like bus for example.

Er no, they aren't.

Fraid so.

Normally they are written with a dot to show they
are abbreviations like etc. or lav. and so on.

In fact they hardly ever are anymore.

Bus has just about passed the test of time into a word in its own right.

And so have plenty of other abbreviations like pram, bike and trike.

or WHY

Too cryptic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/16 00:49, Hankat wrote:

news

news On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Tat is such a hilarious link. They say it mens 'poor' as in 'poverty'
bit every example shown is 'point of view;
'menaing.

abbreviations,

Plenty of english words are abbreviations, like bus for example.

Er no, they aren't.

Fraid so.

Normally they are written with a dot to show they
are abbreviations like etc. or lav. and so on.

In fact they hardly ever are anymore.

Well I was educated before labour destroyed education.

Bus has just about passed the test of time into a word in its own right.

And so have plenty of other abbreviations like pram, bike and trike.

They are all known to be slang abbreviations.

And pretty vulgar with it.

or WHY

Too cryptic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 08/12/16 22:46, Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:52:45 UTC, bert wrote:
When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Both dogs and children!!
Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually*
the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Exactly, so better be safe than sorry.

Just not feasible, particularly on the streets.

And the last thing that makes any sense is to never
let kids get anywhere near a dog, because you are
actually stupid enough to do things like that, so
they stay fearful of dogs.

The problem is that dogs can occasionally kill a child.

Yes, but so do cars, bikes, trees, rivers, pools and buildings
and we just accept the fact that there is some risk with anything.

They are hard pushed to kill and adult.

So whilst having dogs and kids is fine, there should always be an adult
capable of prising the dog off the child should the child ingenuously
decide to see what happens when it smashes the dogs balls with a couple of
half bricks ...

That is the usual helicopter parents ****.

Learning stuff like that is what makes adults out of kids, but sometimes
they don't live to understand the lesson.

Sure, but that is just as true of trees, roaming around with other
kids, riding their bikes, going for a swim. It makes no sense to
be a helicopter parent so the kids never get to work out what
is more risky for themselves.

I would have hated my parents to always supervise me at all
times, particularly well away from the house even before I was
going to school on my own every school day from the age of 5.

I never even came close to being killed and never even ended
up with a broken arm or leg or finger. The one time something
undesirable did happen was when me and a couple of my mates
were wandering around the circus after school when it was in town
and we were looking at the lions in their cages etc. I passed a bit
close to one of the trucks used to move the tent etc around and
didnt notice that there was a dog chained up under it. I got bitten
when I surprised the dog but that was no big deal, I survived fine.

One of the neighbours kids managed to fall out of one of my trees
with a ruler in her mouth for some reason and survived that fine too.

I fell out of a tree myself when I must have been about 6 or so going
by where that happened house wise, again, no big deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 09/12/16 00:49, Hankat wrote:

news

news On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing hilarious about it, it is just a relatively uncommonly used word.

bit every example shown is 'point of view;
'menaing.

They just show what various dictionaries have to say about a word.

abbreviations,

Plenty of english words are abbreviations, like bus for example.

Er no, they aren't.

Fraid so.

Normally they are written with a dot to show they
are abbreviations like etc. or lav. and so on.

In fact they hardly ever are anymore.

Well I was educated before labour destroyed education.

Labour couldnt have destroyed the education in the rest
of the english speaking world which also hardly ever uses
that form anymore.

Bus has just about passed the test of time into a word in its own right.

And so have plenty of other abbreviations like pram, bike and trike.

They are all known to be slang abbreviations.

No more slang than bus is. Or phone.

And pretty vulgar with it.

Nothing vulgar about bus, phone, hetero, auto, plane.

or WHY

Too cryptic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hankat" wrote in message

news
On 08/12/16 22:46, Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

It obviously caused a boat load of brain damage.
Errrrrrrrr, **** off wodney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/16 01:56, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 22:46, Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

It didn't work like that for me. Parents were around just enough to
start with so that the mistakes never got lethal, just hurt.

After that we were on our own once we showed we had some common sense.

[...]

By te time you are 5 you will probably survive a dig mauling. Its the
0-3 years olds that are vulnerable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/16 02:03, Hankat wrote:

Nothing vulgar about bus, phone, hetero, auto, plane.

No? Well we beg to differ then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 09/12/16 01:56, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 22:46, Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

So your previous,

So whilst having dogs and kids is fine, there should always be an
adult capable of prising the dog off the child should the child
ingenuously decide to see what happens when it smashes the dogs balls
with a couple of half bricks ...

Isnt what actually happened with you.

[...]

We have in fact had some kids older than that killed by dogs.

Its the 0-3 years olds that are vulnerable.

But it still makes no sense to be a helicopter parent for kids that age.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 09/12/16 02:03, Hankat wrote:

Nothing vulgar about bus, phone, hetero, auto, plane.

No? Well we beg to differ then.

You are just plain wrong about that.

And I never ever beg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/12/16 20:26, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 12:52, Bod wrote:
On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Chav.

As I said. Thats a romany word innit?

Pov and lav arent.

The aren't words, they are abbreviations.

The very few I came up with were spiv, Slav, and shiv.

http://scrabblewordfinder.org/words-ending-in/v

lists more, but they are either abbreviations or foreign.

I am not sure that spiv and shiv are English, either.

Shiv seems to be Romany, like chav, but spiv is slang that's passed into
general usage.

Slav is of course - er - slavic or is it Slavonic?

I was watching The Thick Of It last night, and Malcolm Tucker said
something like "all I have is a something and a chiv". Not a word I'm
familiar with, but it appears to be some kind of knife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/16 11:58, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Shiv seems to be Romany, like chav, but spiv is slang that's passed into
general usage.

Slav is of course - er - slavic or is it Slavonic?

I was watching The Thick Of It last night, and Malcolm Tucker said
something like "all I have is a something and a chiv". Not a word I'm
familiar with, but it appears to be some kind of knife.

shiv, not chiv.

Romany for a blade

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/12/16 11:58, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Shiv seems to be Romany, like chav, but spiv is slang that's passed into
general usage.

Slav is of course - er - slavic or is it Slavonic?

I was watching The Thick Of It last night, and Malcolm Tucker said
something like "all I have is a something and a chiv". Not a word I'm
familiar with, but it appears to be some kind of knife.

shiv, not chiv.

Romany for a blade

Probably. I got the spelling from the subtitles. They are usually
pretty random, though :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Huskys don’t attack people or cars.

Here are the statistics:

Husky Attack and Bite Statistics from 1982-2013:

Bodily Harm: 79 attacks
Child Victims: 49 attacks
Adults Victims: 5 attacks
Deaths: 25 deaths caused by a Husky
Maimings: 24

eg see:

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Most-Dangerous-Dog-Breeds

Here is a report of one such attack on a 13 year old girl in January '16

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ries-face.html

with a picture of her injuries he

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...3212725165.jpg

This is despite the husky coming 7th in the list of the top ten LEAST
aggressive dogs

Perhaps surprisingly the most aggressive are 1. Dachshunds
2. Chihuahua

See:
http://www.dogbiteclaims.co.uk/dangerous-breeds.html

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 10:15, Rod Speed wrote:

Hardly surprising, they were bred to operate like that, for a reason.

Exactly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

But you and every one else knows exactly what he means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 21:36:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
michael newport wrote

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog.
It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which
is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can
manage to do to hold it back every time they pass someone.
Am pretty sure it would attack, should it slip the lead.

Unlikely IMO.

The Bloke is struggling with it too but it seems to listen more to him.

I like dogs very much and have had Alsatians and Labradors
in the past so know a little of their nature. But the husky to
me seems more of a pack-animal than most domestic dogs.

But they don't attack people much.

My concern is that there are quite a few young children in
the area and feel the need to have the owners (who seem ok)
to realise the risk. I don't think "having a word" will work

Problem for them is that there isnt anything much they
can do except never walk the dog again or get rid of it
and it is very unlikely that you will be able to convince
them to do either unless they are on the verge of doing
that already, in which case you don't need to do anything.

and probably escalate things.

Not necessarily, but could well agitate the dog.

Only a week ago it pulled the lead out of Mrs' hand and had a
go at attacking a car (my wife was driving it so saw it happen).
Stopped in the middle of the road while this dog circling the car!

Sure, but it clearly didn't actually attack it.

Any suggestions what to do for best?

Not clear that there is anything.

RSPCA do anything?

Unlikely unless you manage to fluke someone prepared
to approach them who is a hell of a lot better than average
at encouraging them to get rid of the dog which is unlikely.

The Cops?

Nothing they can do until something does happen.

Council?

Ditto.

Suggest having a word with whoever runs the local dog sanctuary. They if anyone will have a good idea of how to tackle things. The police are not a solution.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 21:36:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
michael newport wrote

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog.
It seems uncontrollable and vicious.

... ... ...

Council?

Ditto.

If one approaches a sub-optimal department of a large organisation, such as a Council, there is likely to a be a risk of being fobbed off on a "not my job" basis when it actually is someone else's job. I forget whether the complainant had tried consulting a Councillor?

The beast is clearly thought to be a bad thing to have nearby; and that might be considered to be analogous to the case of a neighbour whose landlord does no maintenance, so that the rented property depreciates by its appearance the value of neighbouring properties. That case was treated in the Daily Telegraph last Saturday (3 Dec), in the Property section by "Property Doctor"; my copy of that section was irrevocably thrown out two days ago. A Public Library might still have it.

The "Property Doctor" article named, for a 'general nuisance', a specific Council responsibility and a likely department title.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Phil+Stewardson%22+site:www.telegraph. co.uk
finds various "Property Doctor" articles; that one might be listed there in future.

HTH

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 4:14 AM, passerby wrote:
replying to michael newport, passerby wrote:
A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It
seems

uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead
which is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can
manage

to do to hold it back every time they pass
someone. Am pretty sure it would attack

I had a husky before. If she ran to you, it was to lick you to death. Or
ask
(demand, really) for your food, depending on the situation. Huskies are
very
social dogs, can't handle being alone well. If both people of the couple
work
all day long (seems likely in their 20s), that poor dog is hungry for human
attention, the opposite of vicious. You may be reading the intent wrong.
But they do pull really hard (and not only sleds), so suggest they use a
choking metal chain instead of a regular dog collar. The harder the dog
pulls,
the tighter it chokes, helps to control it.

The situation with the car also sounds familiar except the intent was,
again,
opposite: that dog loved cars. If you opened the door, she'd be inside
in no
time. She could run after a car, but to get in, not to "attack" it. Husky's
are not that stupid.

I love that response.

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 7:35 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its difficult. In theory the Police should be the people, but even if
you video it and show them, its been my experience that somebody ora guide
dog has to be attacked before they move on the owners.
To me the owners need to take it to a dog trainer for some advice. Also it
should if it is a male be castrated, as this can change the nature very
quickly in some dogs. Honestly it seems as if, from your description, that
it has assumed the role of pack leader and is protecting the pack. Dogs like
this need to be put in their place early in life. Its very hard once they
get older.
It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that are
ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or insecurity.
Brian

I'm not in your shoes but, I agree with the reasoning of Passerby.

They are indeed fast and strong. They have a desire to run and pull.
Their reward is a bit of food and a good rub and thank you from the owner.

I don't see them as evolving as a predator. And, I agree that the are
borne to love company and hard play.

To maybe sway you a little more have a gander at this 2 minute video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Nyt4Bmi8

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan Dawes" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

There is something seriously screwed up with that list given that
its got cocker spaniels in there with the most dangerous dogs.

And its silly to claim that something as small as a dachshund can
do you much harm, or even a kid much harm.

And that other stuff doesn't appear to be organised by the number
of attacks per capita of each breed which is the only stat that matters,
presumably because it isnt at all easy to work out the number of dogs
of each breed there are out there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2016 10:09 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/12/16 11:58, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Shiv seems to be Romany, like chav, but spiv is slang that's passed into
general usage.

Slav is of course - er - slavic or is it Slavonic?

I was watching The Thick Of It last night, and Malcolm Tucker said
something like "all I have is a something and a chiv". Not a word I'm
familiar with, but it appears to be some kind of knife.

shiv, not chiv.

Romany for a blade

'Shiver me timbers' takes on a whole new meaning. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They just kill the hard to handle dogs.

The police are not a solution.

Agreed and they wont do anything unless someone has been
attacked. Just not understanding how Huskys operate doesnt cut it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Hankat
writes

news

news On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

How about "Snip"?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 December 2016 23:55:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
michael newport wrote

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog.
It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which
is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can
manage to do to hold it back every time they pass someone.
Am pretty sure it would attack, should it slip the lead.

Suggest having a word with whoever runs the local dog sanctuary.
They if anyone will have a good idea of how to tackle things.

They just kill the hard to handle dogs.

not in this country.

The police are not a solution.

Agreed and they wont do anything unless someone has been
attacked. Just not understanding how Huskys operate doesnt cut it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
michael newport wrote

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog.
It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which
is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can
manage to do to hold it back every time they pass someone.
Am pretty sure it would attack, should it slip the lead.

Suggest having a word with whoever runs the local dog sanctuary.
They if anyone will have a good idea of how to tackle things.

They just kill the hard to handle dogs.

not in this country.

Yes, in that country.

The police are not a solution.

Agreed and they wont do anything unless someone has been
attacked. Just not understanding how Huskys operate doesnt cut it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message , Fri, 9 Dec 2016
00:37:24, The Natural Philosopher posted.

The _body_ of my elderly COD includes "rev", in the rotary but in not
the clerical sense; it also includes "derv".

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

How dodgy is this? Tim+ UK diy 6 November 20th 13 05:33 PM
Dodgy DIY? mogga UK diy 19 January 8th 11 11:51 PM
Dodgy Stopcock The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 August 31st 08 10:12 AM
Dodgy tap? [email protected] UK diy 5 March 15th 06 03:02 PM
Dodgy Electrician? -=D@n=- UK diy 20 August 26th 05 10:22 AM