Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hankat Hankat is offline

Default dodgy dog - what to do

news
On 08/12/16 22:46, Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:52:45 UTC, bert wrote:
When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Both dogs and children!!
Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually*
the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Exactly, so better be safe than sorry.

Just not feasible, particularly on the streets.

And the last thing that makes any sense is to never
let kids get anywhere near a dog, because you are
actually stupid enough to do things like that, so
they stay fearful of dogs.

The problem is that dogs can occasionally kill a child.

Yes, but so do cars, bikes, trees, rivers, pools and buildings
and we just accept the fact that there is some risk with anything.

They are hard pushed to kill and adult.

So whilst having dogs and kids is fine, there should always be an adult
capable of prising the dog off the child should the child ingenuously
decide to see what happens when it smashes the dogs balls with a couple of
half bricks ...

That is the usual helicopter parents ****.

Learning stuff like that is what makes adults out of kids, but sometimes
they don't live to understand the lesson.

Sure, but that is just as true of trees, roaming around with other
kids, riding their bikes, going for a swim. It makes no sense to
be a helicopter parent so the kids never get to work out what
is more risky for themselves.

I would have hated my parents to always supervise me at all
times, particularly well away from the house even before I was
going to school on my own every school day from the age of 5.

I never even came close to being killed and never even ended
up with a broken arm or leg or finger. The one time something
undesirable did happen was when me and a couple of my mates
were wandering around the circus after school when it was in town
and we were looking at the lions in their cages etc. I passed a bit
close to one of the trucks used to move the tent etc around and
didnt notice that there was a dog chained up under it. I got bitten
when I surprised the dog but that was no big deal, I survived fine.

One of the neighbours kids managed to fall out of one of my trees
with a ruler in her mouth for some reason and survived that fine too.

I fell out of a tree myself when I must have been about 6 or so going
by where that happened house wise, again, no big deal.