Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dodgy Stopcock

Changed a set of kitchen taps for a lady yesterday, no trace of any internal
stopcock since Combi boiler was fitted two months ago. Turned off the water
outside.

Had to go back today to finish off another minor job & she mentioned that
the water pressure (hot & cold) was down - not just on the kitchen taps but
all over the house. Checked the external stopcock which was fully open.

I can only think of two things, either the water pressure is down generally
because of a local leak or burst, or summits up with the stopcock.

All the neighbours were out so we couldn't ask them about their pressure.

The stopcock wasn't hard to turn or seized in any way & still shuts off the
supply OK.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing muck in the pipe maybe?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Did the pressure seem down to you?
Could this be human psychology at work?
I am not saying she is making it up, but
that doesn't preclude seeing something
that doesn't exist.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
[...]

It did to be fair. The pressure on the kitchen taps seemed lower once I'd
changed them, but not very much. I put it down to different taps. Never
tried any others, no reason to. Seemed worse today.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Get the local water company round. They will check the water pressure and
flow fate at the stopcock.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
[...]

If there is a restriction caused by a faulty stopcock, the first "spurt"
of water will be at full pressure, then the flow will drop.
A partially closed stopcock will not reduce pressure, just flow-rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
[...]

That is exactly what happens. Thanks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dripping Stopcock RedOnRed UK diy 17 November 5th 07 11:40 AM
Fit internal stopcock Gilz UK diy 13 February 2nd 07 01:56 PM
no stopcock in flat above ... [email protected] UK diy 7 June 20th 06 06:55 PM
Dodgy tap? [email protected] UK diy 5 March 15th 06 03:02 PM
'Packing' a stopcock? Richard Blackwood UK diy 7 December 11th 04 04:28 PM