-=D@n=-

Default Dodgy Electrician?

Hi all,

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted. The supplier of the kitchen
sub-contracted out the fitting, plumbing, and electrics to three different
people. In order to wire up the extractor above the hob, the electrician
took a feed from a local socket, ran it to where the extractor 'chimney'
would be, and fitted a normal white plug socket. He then plugged the
extractor in, and fitted the 'chimney' to the extractor.

Now, to me this seems a little bit dangerous. Won't there be heat/moisture
being sucked through the extractor and out the chimney, therefore close to
the plug socket? Wouldn't it have been better to wire the extractor into a
fused plate-thing somewhere away from the actual appliance?

The same electrician was due to return last night to wire up the lights in
the units, but he didn't turn up. No phone call, nothing. If this extractor
wiring is in any way dodgy, he's not coming near my house again.

Thanks for any advice

Dan

Tim Mitchell

In article , "-=D@n=-"
writes
[...]

Sounds fine to me ... surely the heat/moisture you are worried about is
inside the extractor ducting, and the power socket is outside it?
--
Tim Mitchell
-=D@n=-

Tim Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Yeah, yeah I suppose it is. It just didn't seem right to me. Oh well, I'll
leave it as it is.

Thanks for your reply.

Dan

Sparks

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted. The supplier of the kitchen
sub-contracted out the fitting, plumbing, and electrics to three different
people. In order to wire up the extractor above the hob, the electrician
took a feed from a local socket, ran it to where the extractor 'chimney'
would be, and fitted a normal white plug socket. He then plugged the
extractor in, and fitted the 'chimney' to the extractor.

Can you isolate the hood without dismantling it?
(Is there a switch and/or a fuse next to the socket for the spur the
extractor is plugged into?)

Sparks..

-=D@n=-

Sparks wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted. The supplier of the kitchen
sub-contracted out the fitting, plumbing, and electrics to three
different people. In order to wire up the extractor above the hob,
the electrician took a feed from a local socket, ran it to where the
extractor 'chimney' would be, and fitted a normal white plug socket.
He then plugged the extractor in, and fitted the 'chimney' to the
extractor.

Can you isolate the hood without dismantling it?
(Is there a switch and/or a fuse next to the socket for the spur the
extractor is plugged into?)

Hi Sparks,

in a word, no. The wiring is straight into the spur for the kitchen sockets,
so i'd have to switch an RCD(?) off at the CU(?) to isolate it. But that
would be isolating all the sockets, not just the hood.

Does that mean he's done a bad job?

Thanks

Dan

Grumps

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
[...]

Is 'isolating' different than simply unplugging it?

-=D@n=-

Grumps wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
[...]

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it, but I can switch off
the spur that it's connected to. But that would also switch off lots of
other stuff.

Grunff

-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have finger
access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing the chimney?

--
Grunff
-=D@n=-

Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have
finger access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing the
chimney?

Just removing the chimney. The chimney slots on top of the actual extractor,
and the plug is under the chimney.

John

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have
finger access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing the
chimney?

Just removing the chimney. The chimney slots on top of the actual
extractor, and the plug is under the chimney.

You really are desperately looking for something to crib about aren't you?

-=D@n=-

John wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have
finger access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing
the chimney?

Just removing the chimney. The chimney slots on top of the actual
extractor, and the plug is under the chimney.

You really are desperately looking for something to crib about aren't
you?

As I re-read the thread, it would appear so, yes. But I was just really
asking if the way he'd done the job was 'normal'. I guess I'm just annoyed
that he didn't turn up last night!

Dark Angel

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message...
Yeah, yeah I suppose it is. It just didn't seem right to me. Oh well, I'll
leave it as it is.

My cooker extractor fan is wired to a plug, which plugs into a spurred
socket above the cabinets in much the same manner you described. Nothing
wrong with that!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

-=D@n=-

Dark Angel wrote:
"-=D@n=-" wrote in message...
Yeah, yeah I suppose it is. It just didn't seem right to me. Oh
well, I'll leave it as it is.

My cooker extractor fan is wired to a plug, which plugs into a spurred
socket above the cabinets in much the same manner you described.
Nothing wrong with that!

Oh ok, ta. It just didn't seem very professional. I would have thought it
better to wire directly into the ring(?) with a fused plate somewhere.

Dark Angel

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message...
Oh ok, ta. It just didn't seem very professional. I would have thought it
better to wire directly into the ring(?) with a fused plate somewhere.

Well it's no differant to using a switched fused spur unit and wiring that
into the mains, electricity will still flow through the outlet (be it a
socket or fused spur) into the appliance (be it plugged in or wired in
directly).

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
-=D@n=- wrote:
Oh ok, ta. It just didn't seem very professional. I would have thought
it better to wire directly into the ring(?) with a fused plate
somewhere.

Or the lighting circuit - since that's usually closer. But I agree an FCU
would look neater than a plug and socket - if you can see it. If it's not
on show, it doesn't matter.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Steven Briggs

In message , "-=D@n=-"
writes
Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have
finger access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing the
chimney?

Just removing the chimney. The chimney slots on top of the actual extractor,
and the plug is under the chimney.

Then it seems a reasonable job to me.
He has provided a safe was to isolate the extractor (plug & socket),
hidden from view, accessible before you have to dismantle any of the
main casing.

--
steve
DJC

Steven Briggs wrote:
Then it seems a reasonable job to me.
He has provided a safe was to isolate the extractor (plug & socket),
hidden from view, accessible before you have to dismantle any of the
main casing.

Better than a fused spur in my opinion as the extractor can be fully
disconnected by just pulling the plug, no need to turn off everything to
unwire the connection.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
DJC wrote:
Better than a fused spur in my opinion as the extractor can be fully
disconnected by just pulling the plug, no need to turn off everything to
unwire the connection.

If it's an FCU with a switch these are double pole switched these days.

But nothing like actually unplugging something to know it's isolated.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
-=D@n=-

Will wrote:
In article ,
says...

"-=D@n=-" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Erm, I dunno. I can't unplug it without dismantling it

But how much dismantling? When you remove the cover, do you have
finger access to any electric terminals? Or are you just removing
the chimney?

Just removing the chimney. The chimney slots on top of the actual
extractor, and the plug is under the chimney.

You really are desperately looking for something to crib about
aren't you?

I have to say, I think that he is right to "crib", if I
understand his situation correctly...

It appears from his posts that in order to isolate the hood, he
has to partly dismantle it. In the event of a fault, there may not be
time, particularly if tools are needed to do so...

In addition, since most modern hoods seem to be double insulated,
a fault where the hood (if it's metal) comes live, by virtue of a
faulty cable, for instance, could prove difficult to overcome without
switching off at the consumer unit.

Placing isolators for kitchen appliances in an adjacent cupboard
is frowned upon by some, but placing them out of easy reach iirc does
not meet current regs...

See, that's what I was getting at I think. On our old kitchen, there was an
FCU(?) next to the hob that would switch off the power to the extractor.
That's what I would have preferred. I'm interested in what you say about
current regs, so i'm going to get an electrician friend to take a look.

Thanks for the reply.

Dan