Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dodgy dog - what to do

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It
seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which is good
except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can manage to do
to hold it back every time they pass someone. Am pretty sure it would
attack, should it slip the lead. The Bloke is struggling with it too
but it seems to listen more to him.
I like dogs very much and have had Alsatians and Labradors in the past
so know a little of their nature. But the husky to me seems more of a
pack-animal than most domestic dogs.
My concern is that there are quite a few young children in the area
and feel the need to have the owners (who seem ok) to realise the
risk. I don't think "having a word" will work and probably escalate
things.
Only a week ago it pulled the lead out of Mrs' hand and had a go at
attacking a car (my wife was driving it so saw it happen). Stopped in
the middle of the road while this dog circling the car!
Any suggestions what to do for best? RSPCA do anything? The Cops?
Council?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael newport wrote

A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog.
It seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which
is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can
manage to do to hold it back every time they pass someone.
Am pretty sure it would attack, should it slip the lead.

Unlikely IMO.

The Bloke is struggling with it too but it seems to listen more to him.

I like dogs very much and have had Alsatians and Labradors
in the past so know a little of their nature. But the husky to
me seems more of a pack-animal than most domestic dogs.

But they don't attack people much.

My concern is that there are quite a few young children in
the area and feel the need to have the owners (who seem ok)
to realise the risk. I don't think "having a word" will work

Problem for them is that there isnt anything much they
can do except never walk the dog again or get rid of it
and it is very unlikely that you will be able to convince
them to do either unless they are on the verge of doing
that already, in which case you don't need to do anything.

and probably escalate things.

Not necessarily, but could well agitate the dog.

Only a week ago it pulled the lead out of Mrs' hand and had a
go at attacking a car (my wife was driving it so saw it happen).
Stopped in the middle of the road while this dog circling the car!

Sure, but it clearly didn't actually attack it.

Any suggestions what to do for best?

Not clear that there is anything.

RSPCA do anything?

Unlikely unless you manage to fluke someone prepared
to approach them who is a hell of a lot better than average
at encouraging them to get rid of the dog which is unlikely.

The Cops?

Nothing they can do until something does happen.

Council?

Ditto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to michael newport, passerby wrote:
A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It seems

uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead
which is good except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can manage

to do to hold it back every time they pass
someone. Am pretty sure it would attack

I had a husky before. If she ran to you, it was to lick you to death. Or ask
(demand, really) for your food, depending on the situation. Huskies are very
social dogs, can't handle being alone well. If both people of the couple work
all day long (seems likely in their 20s), that poor dog is hungry for human
attention, the opposite of vicious. You may be reading the intent wrong.

But they do pull really hard (and not only sleds), so suggest they use a
choking metal chain instead of a regular dog collar. The harder the dog pulls,
the tighter it chokes, helps to control it.

The situation with the car also sounds familiar except the intent was, again,
opposite: that dog loved cars. If you opened the door, she'd be inside in no
time. She could run after a car, but to get in, not to "attack" it. Husky's
are not that stupid.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...o-1176136-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well its difficult. In theory the Police should be the people, but even if
you video it and show them, its been my experience that somebody ora guide
dog has to be attacked before they move on the owners.
To me the owners need to take it to a dog trainer for some advice. Also it
should if it is a male be castrated, as this can change the nature very
quickly in some dogs. Honestly it seems as if, from your description, that
it has assumed the role of pack leader and is protecting the pack. Dogs like
this need to be put in their place early in life. Its very hard once they
get older.
It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that are
ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or insecurity.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"michael newport" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Well its difficult. In theory the Police should be the people, but even if
you video it and show them, its been my experience that somebody ora
guide dog has to be attacked before they move on the owners.
To me the owners need to take it to a dog trainer for some advice. Also it
should if it is a male be castrated, as this can change the nature very
quickly in some dogs. Honestly it seems as if, from your description, that
it has assumed the role of pack leader and is protecting the pack. Dogs
like this need to be put in their place early in life. Its very hard once
they get older.

It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that
are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or
insecurity.

Its just a husky being a husky.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 21:00:04 +0000, "michael newport"
wrote:

[...]

AIUI any aggressive large dog,

You don't know that it is aggressive.

or even smaller ones, should be muzzled when in public places.

Clearly hardly anyone agrees with you on that.

Is this one muzzled?

Unlikely or he wouldn't be so fearful of it.

I don't have much faith in the simple
strap around the base of the jaw;

Works fine for vets.

a cage over the whole muzzle is much better
http://tinyurl.com/jae25rq

Clearly hardly anyone agrees with you on that.

More about the legal situation here
http://tinyurl.com/oo7xfxg

Doesn't apply in this situation.

It might be worth pointing out to the owner
that they could be heavily fined and the dog
destroyed if their dog does attack someone.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

But that would be too late, of course.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It might be worth pointing out to the owner
that they could be heavily fined and the dog
destroyed if their dog does attack someone.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

But that would be too late, of course.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

They are totally unsuitable as pets, unless you can cope with
all of these traits:

Vigorous exercise requirements
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Massive destructiveness and howling when bored, left alone too much, or
not exercised enough
Strong instincts to chase and grab anything that runs, i.e. cats
Escaping from your yard in search of adventure
Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take
charge
Heavy shedding

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...anhuskies.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that
are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or
insecurity.

Its just a husky being a husky.

I'm not sure that "it's just a husky being a husky" is an excuse, if the
behaviour is *interpreted* as being threatening by other people. Other
people aren't to know that a dog that is barking and straining at its lead
only wants to "lick you to death" and not to bite you. Even if the dog
didn't bite, it could knock over a child in its sheer exuberance to make
friends.

It sounds as if the owners of the dog have got a real handful and aren't
able to keep it in control. Yes, the owners should train it to calm down,
but many of the largest, most threatening dogs are owned by the people who
are least likely to take kindly to being recommended to train their dog. I
hesitate to use the c--v word :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/12/2016 09:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

The other day, I came across a woman being taken for a walk by her
husky. More of a run, really, with her heels leaving black lines of
rubber on the pavement. It was a lovely, friendly dog, but utterly
beyond her ability to control it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/12/2016 09:00, Rod Speed wrote:
Bod wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It might be worth pointing out to the owner
that they could be heavily fined and the dog
destroyed if their dog does attack someone.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

But that would be too late, of course.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

They are totally unsuitable as pets, unless you can cope with all of
these traits:

BULL****.

Why? They are large, vigorous dogs, that need huge amounts of exercise.

Vigorous exercise requirements
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Massive destructiveness and howling when bored, left alone too much,
or not exercised enough
Strong instincts to chase and grab anything that runs, i.e. cats
Escaping from your yard in search of adventure
Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can
take charge
Heavy shedding

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...anhuskies.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael newport wrote:
[...]

I think you have to at least call the RSPCA in the hope that 'they know
best'. I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are
dogs who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts are
telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does happen, and
you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs that
are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain or
insecurity.

Its just a husky being a husky.

I'm not sure that "it's just a husky being a husky" is an excuse,

It’s a fact, not an excuse.

if the behaviour is *interpreted* as being threatening by other people.

Fools know nothing about dogs.

Other people aren't to know that a dog that is barking and straining at
its lead only wants to "lick you to death" and not to bite you.

Its time they educated themselves.

Even if the dog didn't bite, it could knock over a child in its sheer
exuberance to make friends.

And that is hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

It sounds as if the owners of the dog have got a real handful

Yes, huskys can be a big of a handful.

and aren't able to keep it in control.

The only time they havent been able to is when it managed to
get the lead out of the owners hand and try to get into the car.

Again, hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

Yes, the owners should train it to calm down,

Easier said than done.

but many of the largest, most threatening dogs are owned by the people who
are least likely to take kindly to being recommended to train their dog.

Many of us want a real dog, not a ****ing robot.

I hesitate to use the c--v word :-)

Liar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bod wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It might be worth pointing out to the owner
that they could be heavily fined and the dog
destroyed if their dog does attack someone.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

But that would be too late, of course.

Its just a husky being a husky. It isnt going to attack anyone.

They are totally unsuitable as pets, unless you can cope with all of
these traits:

BULL****.

Why? They are large, vigorous dogs,

Yes.

that need huge amounts of exercise.

No they don’t.

Vigorous exercise requirements
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Massive destructiveness and howling when bored, left alone too much, or
not exercised enough
Strong instincts to chase and grab anything that runs, i.e. cats
Escaping from your yard in search of adventure
Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can
take charge
Heavy shedding

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...anhuskies.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 08/12/2016 09:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Hardly surprising, they were bred to operate like that, for a reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
It needs also to be checked over by a vet, as I've also known dogs
that are ill exhibit this kind of behaviour due one supposes to pain
or insecurity.

Its just a husky being a husky.

I'm not sure that "it's just a husky being a husky" is an excuse, if the
behaviour is *interpreted* as being threatening by other people. Other
people aren't to know that a dog that is barking and straining at its
lead only wants to "lick you to death" and not to bite you. Even if the
dog didn't bite, it could knock over a child in its sheer exuberance to
make friends.

That's a slippery slope, that's already been done to death by 'minority'
interests who claim that what counts are not the facts of the case, but
how they FEEL about the facts..

I mean us poor men feel sexually abused every time a women glances at
our crotches, or puts on predatory makeup... ;-)

It sounds as if the owners of the dog have got a real handful and aren't
able to keep it in control. Yes, the owners should train it to calm
down, but many of the largest, most threatening dogs are owned by the
people who are least likely to take kindly to being recommended to train
their dog. I hesitate to use the c--v word :-)

I cant think of a single word in the English language that ends in
'v'...Slavic perhaps...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 12:52, Bod wrote:
On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

As I said. Thats a romany word innit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 12:56, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

None of those are english words. Either acronyms, abbreviations, or WHY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 08/12/16 12:56, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Nope.

abbreviations,

Plenty of english words are abbreviations, like bus for example.

or WHY

Too cryptic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
michael newport wrote:
[...]

Last port of call. The RSPCA are more likely to seize the dog and have
it put down as dangerously out of control.
I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs
who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.
This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts are
telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does happen, and
you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive yourself.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:54:22 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

It's just a dog, stop being such a girl.

--
Flatulence (n.), emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run over by a steamroller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 21:00, michael newport wrote:
[...]

Huskies are a pack animal if kept in multiples ... they are very
sociable, and unfortunately like people - which is why they don't
usually make good guard dogs.

Your first step is to go have a word with them, and make them aware of
your concerns - without any threats - that maybe all it takes.

If the woman has trouble when it is on a lead a halter may be a better
option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
news
[...]

All it would do is make them aware of his ignorance
of dog behaviour. Huskys don’t attack people or cars.

- without any threats - that maybe all it takes.

So what do you expect the owners would do,
never walk that dog ever again, have it killed ?

If the woman has trouble when it is on a lead a halter may be a better
option.

Makes no difference with the human end of the lead.

Clearly even when it did get away from the woman
the one time, it did no harm and for all you know
she may have ensured it doesn’t happen again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:52:45 UTC, bert wrote:
When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually* the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael newport wrote:
[...]

What's the first port of call, then, if the OP doesn't want to fall out
with the owner, and doesn't think it will help anyway?

I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs
who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

I think we've learned, but how do you avoid contact when you're out walking?

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts
are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does
happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive
yourself.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Hankat
writes

"bert" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:52:45 UTC, bert wrote:
When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Both dogs and children!!
Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually*
the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Exactly, so better be safe than sorry.

Just not feasible, particularly on the streets.

And the last thing that makes any sense is to never
let kids get anywhere near a dog,

There's a difference between "not letting children near dogs" and
actually having a dog in the family. Teach your children to approach
dogs sensibly and to respect them as an animal not a toy. Also children
come in a variety of ages. I'm talking 0 to about 10.
because you are
actually stupid enough to do things like that, so
they stay fearful of dogs.

Most attacks dog on children occur in the family environment.
Owain

-- bert

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
michael newport wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid it is the owners being as tactful as possible. They may well
welcome a bit of helpful advice but you won't know until you try.
I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs
who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

I think we've learned, but how do you avoid contact when you're out walking?

With difficulty
This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts
are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does
happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive
yourself.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Hankat wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 18:52:45 UTC, bert wrote:
When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

They mix fine as long as they're trained to get on with each other.

Both dogs and children!!
Out of dog owners, children, and dogs, the problem is not usually*
the dogs.

*Can be sometimes, though.

Exactly, so better be safe than sorry.

Just not feasible, particularly on the streets.

And the last thing that makes any sense is to never
let kids get anywhere near a dog, because you are
actually stupid enough to do things like that, so
they stay fearful of dogs.

Our little lad was knocked over by a greyhound (someone local takes them
in when they're too old to race). It was muzzled, but it was still a bit
of an ordeal, as the owner lost control of it, and it was rather
'excited'. It'll take him a while to completely trust dogs now, which is
a shame, since the missus really loves them.

Sure, but its MUCH worse to take that other approach, never let
kids get anywhere near them because of that stupid 'better be
safe than sorry' approach and see them fearful of dogs for life.

Makes a lot more sense to just keep an eye out when they are
young enough to get bowled over to ensure that doesn't happen.

Same with the way that some very young kids can get into
trouble when they start whacking a dog in the face with a
stick etc. Makes more sense to point out to them that that
can have real downsides and ensure that they don't get
bitten by watching what they get up to.

We do that with all sorts of stuff like climbing trees and
running around. Its stupid to just ban it on the basis of
'better be safe than sorry'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
bert wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
michael newport wrote:
[...]

I think we've learned,

You havent actually.

but how do you avoid contact when you're out walking?

Not possible and stupid to avoid having any dogs or kids when out walking.

The only thing that makes any sense is to just be more observant
when out with little kids to notice dogs that have escaped from
their owners temporarily and avoid them getting knocked over.

Not hard to do.

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts
are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does
happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive
yourself.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
bert wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
michael newport wrote:
[...]

There is no helpful advice possible. Even a choke collar wont make
any difference with a husky. They have been bred to pull like that.

The only helpful advice that is possible is to be aware of how
huskies operate before getting one and its too late when they
are walking one on the street.

I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs
who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

I think we've learned, but how do you avoid contact when you're out
walking?

With difficulty

Not even possible. Even just heading in the opposite direction when
you notice one isnt feasible most of the time.

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts
are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does
happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive
yourself.
As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 20:26, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 12:52, Bod wrote:
On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

The aren't words, they are abbreviations.

The very few I came up with were spiv, Slav, and shiv.

http://scrabblewordfinder.org/words-ending-in/v

lists more, but they are either abbreviations or foreign.

I am not sure that spiv and shiv are English, either.

Shiv seems to be Romany, like chav, but spiv is slang that's passed into
general usage.

Slav is of course - er - slavic or is it Slavonic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/16 20:31, Hankat wrote:

news
On 08/12/16 12:56, Hankat wrote:

news On 08/12/16 11:27, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

pov is acronym, Point Of View

abbreviations,

Plenty of english words are abbreviations, like bus for example.

Er no, they aren't. Normally they are written with a dot to show they
are abbreviations like etc. or lav. and so on.

Bus has just about passed the test of time into a word in its own right.

or WHY

Too cryptic.

How dodgy is this? Tim+ UK diy 6 November 20th 13 05:33 PM
Dodgy DIY? mogga UK diy 19 January 8th 11 11:51 PM
Dodgy Stopcock The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 August 31st 08 10:12 AM
Dodgy tap? [email protected] UK diy 5 March 15th 06 03:02 PM
Dodgy Electrician? -=D@n=- UK diy 20 August 26th 05 10:22 AM