Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hankat Hankat is offline

Default dodgy dog - what to do

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
bert wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
writes
michael newport wrote:
A couple (late 20's) who live in an adjacent St have a Husky dog. It
seems uncontrollable and vicious. It's always on a lead which is good
except the woman is clearly at the limit of what she can manage to do
to hold it back every time they pass someone. Am pretty sure it would
attack, should it slip the lead. The Bloke is struggling with it too
but it seems to listen more to him.
I like dogs very much and have had Alsatians and Labradors in the past
so know a little of their nature. But the husky to me seems more of a
pack-animal than most domestic dogs.
My concern is that there are quite a few young children in the area
and feel the need to have the owners (who seem ok) to realise the
risk. I don't think "having a word" will work and probably escalate
things.
Only a week ago it pulled the lead out of Mrs' hand and had a go at
attacking a car (my wife was driving it so saw it happen). Stopped in
the middle of the road while this dog circling the car!
Any suggestions what to do for best? RSPCA do anything? The Cops?
Council?

I think you have to at least call the RSPCA in the hope that 'they
know best'.

Last port of call. The RSPCA are more likely to seize the dog and have
it put down as dangerously out of control.

What's the first port of call, then, if the OP doesn't want to fall out
with the owner, and doesn't think it will help anyway?

I have discovered, since having a son recently, that there are dogs
who (in the words of their owners) 'aren't used to children', and
become much more aggressive when you get near with a child.

When will we learn that young children and dogs do not mix.

I think we've learned,

You havent actually.

but how do you avoid contact when you're out walking?

Not possible and stupid to avoid having any dogs or kids when out walking.

The only thing that makes any sense is to just be more observant
when out with little kids to notice dogs that have escaped from
their owners temporarily and avoid them getting knocked over.

Not hard to do.

This dog may be perfectly harmless, if alarming; but your instincts
are telling you that something is wrong. If something bad does
happen, and you haven't asked anyone about it, you may never forgive
yourself.

As someone has already mentioned suggest they get a choke chain and find
a local training class before some real damage is done or before someone
reports them to the RSPCA and they come and seize the dog....