Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storage heater insulation panels

Got a second hand storage heater from a friend

Had to remove the firebricks to transport it, as it weighs a bloody ton.

Anyway, there are insulation panels front and back that go between the fire
bricks and the metal case.

Trouble is, the material has split and the cork(?) insulation (better not be
asbestos) has spilled out, so need to replace.

Having difficulty tracking down replacements and if I've read the
description on the Dimplex website correctly, replacement insulation panels
seem extremely expensive (unless I read the wrong part).

So, any idea how to improvise a suitable replacement sheet of insulation?
Needs to be fairly thin (about 1/4")

Thanks in advance

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/16 17:26, Simon T wrote:
Got a second hand storage heater from a friend

Had to remove the firebricks to transport it, as it weighs a bloody ton.

Anyway, there are insulation panels front and back that go between the
fire bricks and the metal case.

Trouble is, the material has split and the cork(?) insulation (better
not be asbestos) has spilled out, so need to replace.

Having difficulty tracking down replacements and if I've read the
description on the Dimplex website correctly, replacement insulation
panels seem extremely expensive (unless I read the wrong part).

So, any idea how to improvise a suitable replacement sheet of
insulation? Needs to be fairly thin (about 1/4")

Thanks in advance

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...sulation-board

???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 17:26:21 UTC, Simon T wrote:
Got a second hand storage heater from a friend

Had to remove the firebricks to transport it, as it weighs a bloody ton.

Anyway, there are insulation panels front and back that go between the fire
bricks and the metal case.

Trouble is, the material has split and the cork(?) insulation (better not be
asbestos) has spilled out, so need to replace.

Having difficulty tracking down replacements and if I've read the
description on the Dimplex website correctly, replacement insulation panels
seem extremely expensive (unless I read the wrong part).

So, any idea how to improvise a suitable replacement sheet of insulation?
Needs to be fairly thin (about 1/4")

Thanks in advance

A picture would probably help identify it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just a thought, would insulation foil do it, like the stuff they put behind
radiators?

It is liable to get rather warm in there though, doesn't this stuff have
plastic bubbles on the inside?

Don't want melted plastic oozing out of the bottom, or worse, black smoke
coming out of the top.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message...
A picture would probably help identify it.

The radiator, or the insulation panel?

Providing a pic of the former would be rather tricky as it's in bits.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 18:54:51 UTC, Simon T wrote:

Just a thought, would insulation foil do it, like the stuff they put behind
radiators?

It is liable to get rather warm in there though, doesn't this stuff have
plastic bubbles on the inside?

Don't want melted plastic oozing out of the bottom, or worse, black smoke
coming out of the top.

Nowhere near enough insulation, and the core gets way to hot for such stuff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 18:56:21 UTC, Simon T wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message...
A picture would probably help identify it.

The radiator, or the insulation panel?

Providing a pic of the former would be rather tricky as it's in bits.

the insulation of course

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 17:26:21 UTC, Simon T wrote:
Got a second hand storage heater from a friend

Had to remove the firebricks to transport it, as it weighs a bloody ton.

Anyway, there are insulation panels front and back that go between the fire
bricks and the metal case.

Trouble is, the material has split and the cork(?) insulation (better not be
asbestos) has spilled out, so need to replace.

Having difficulty tracking down replacements and if I've read the
description on the Dimplex website correctly, replacement insulation panels
seem extremely expensive (unless I read the wrong part).

So, any idea how to improvise a suitable replacement sheet of insulation?
Needs to be fairly thin (about 1/4")

Thanks in advance

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Just Google "heat resistant insulation board."
Lots of hits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 17:26, Simon T wrote:
[...]

Having difficulty tracking down replacements and if I've read the
description on the Dimplex website correctly, replacement insulation
panels seem extremely expensive (unless I read the wrong part).

The material is a ceramic fibre board and yes, it is quite expensive.
If you were looking at a retail price list though, the price would be
further inflated. Enquire through a an electrical wholesaler, or an
online spares supplier such as TD spares, for better pricing.

So, any idea how to improvise a suitable replacement sheet of
insulation? Needs to be fairly thin (about 1/4")

I'd advise against any improvisation here on fire safety grounds; the
core temperature of a fully charged storage heater is extremely hot -
hundreds of deg. C. Do you want to take the risk?

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message ...
I'd advise against any improvisation here on fire safety grounds; the
core temperature of a fully charged storage heater is extremely hot -
hundreds of deg. C. Do you want to take the risk?

Was thinking of using a thin layer of rockwool insulation.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2016 18:24, Simon T wrote:

Was thinking of using a thin layer of rockwool insulation.

I doubt that will work.

Try he http://www.storageheater.co.uk/

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Simon T, Teen T wrote:
Hi Simon, cane across your post by chance... I hv same issue ... can I ask wht
you ended up doing with your heater?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember that post. I'd imagine the company don't want you to buy them
hoping to sell you a new heater!
The sides of my heater still get quite hot though so I'm not convinced the
stuff they use is very good in any case. Maybe the ideal substance is what
they used to make Space shuttle tiles out of!
That was a kind of hard surfaced ceramic high temp foam. Not mechanically
very strong but one heck of an insulator from heat.

What are Fire blankets made from?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Teen T" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Simon T, Teen T wrote:
Hi Simon, cane across your post by chance... I hv same issue ... can I ask
wht
you ended up doing with your heater?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Maggie61 wrote:
Are these boards really suitable , I'm having same problem as simon after
googling about the insulation boards and not getting anywhere. ,I came across
,,insulation boards and grenfell and thought iv really got to check these
Victorian plumbing boards before I order ,to be on the safe side.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 13:14:04 UTC+1, Maggie61 wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Maggie61 wrote:
Are these boards really suitable

for what?

, I'm having same problem as simon after

what problem is that?

googling about the insulation boards and not getting anywhere. ,I came across
,,insulation boards and grenfell and thought iv really got to check these
Victorian plumbing boards before I order ,to be on the safe side.

what boards? Gis a clue!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 14:23:54 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 13:14:04 UTC+1, Maggie61 wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Maggie61 wrote:

Are these boards really suitable

for what?

, I'm having same problem as simon after

what problem is that?

googling about the insulation boards and not getting anywhere. ,I came
across
,,insulation boards and grenfell and thought iv really got to check these
Victorian plumbing boards before I order ,to be on the safe side.

what boards? Gis a clue!

NT

Did you miss the thread start. As I recall its to do with insides of storage
heaters, though it does seem to have wandered off a bit.
Brian

the thread started back in 2016. Few will see that. What hoh displays is not what you get in the newsgroup.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Brian Gaff, Mel wrote:
Found this when having similar issues, thought comments might be helpful to
anyone else viewing.
Initially advised insulation panel obsolete so went around another of firms
who deal with insulation products until one came up with Insulfrax Board 110
LD. To cut a long story short DO NOT use this in storage heaters due to fumes
given off, made me ill. Eventually received information that insulation is
available if hunt around and pay £75 plus quid for it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2018 19:14, Teen T wrote:
replying to Simon T, Teen T wrote:
Hi Simon, cane across your post by chance... I hv same issue ... can I
ask wht
you ended up doing with your heater?

For some reason this thread just bumped back up in my news feed. Bit
late now, but I ended up chucking the heater out.

I was planning to use it to heat my shed during the winter overnight on
Economy 7, but I no longer have Economy 7 as the cheap overnight rate
doesn't make up for the extra cost you pay during the day.

So as I couldn't get replacement insulation panels anyway, out it went.

--
Best Wishes
Simon T

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice. I found that the ceramic fibre board is expensive to order since it is fragile and typically has to be delivered by pallet or by courier. I found it cheaper to order some ceramic fibre blanket from Vitcas (https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibr...tion-mtr.html). The blanket can be fixed to the steel panel/cover with a ceramic fibre adhesive (https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibr...ve-310ml.html). Its also possible to protect the blanket using a heat-resistant cloth (https://shop.vitcas.com/silica84-ver...te-cloth.html). These products are rated to temperatures above 1000 degrees C, which I've read is far higher than the temperatures likely to be encountered in a storage heater. For instance, my Dimplex heater elements can only reach 650 degrees C. Obviously, heater temperatures should be far lower than this under normal operation.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've often wondered why, given the ability of a vacuum flask to keep stuff
hot all day, why something similar is not used on storage heater insulation.
Even when you close the vents they are cold by the end of a day. So
electronic vents and a thermos around the bricks is what we need.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
roupdirect.com...
(
https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibr...tion-mtr.html).
The blanket can be fixed to the steel panel/cover with a ceramic fibre
adhesive (https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibr...ve-310ml.html). Its
also possible to protect the blanket using a heat-resistant cloth
(https://shop.vitcas.com/silica84-ver...te-cloth.html). These products
are rated to temperatures above 1000 degrees C, which I've read is far
higher than the temperatures likely to be encountered in a storage heater.
For instance, my Dimplex heater elements can only reach 650 degrees C.
Obviously, heater temperatures should be far lower than this under normal
operation.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1175569-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I've often wondered why, given the ability of a vacuum flask to keep stuff
hot all day, why something similar is not used on storage heater insulation.
Even when you close the vents they are cold by the end of a day. So
electronic vents and a thermos around the bricks is what we need.

Probably rather difficult to make a 'jacket' that can be evacuated
without collapsing. A vacuum flask is (approximately) cylindrical so
the 'jacket' can support the vacuum (I'd guess the inner part is in
tension and the outer in compression without too many bending forces)

--
Chris Green
·

Using insulation panels uncovered: fire, smell and other issues TimW UK diy 6 July 24th 16 09:24 AM
Building interior windows insulation panels MM UK diy 104 November 17th 13 04:47 PM
Loft insulation V storage ss UK diy 10 April 29th 12 08:24 PM
4'x8' foam insulation panels question J A Home Repair 3 February 19th 08 03:35 AM
Loft Insulation and use as storage space news.aaisp.net.uk UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:06 AM