Posted to alt.home.repair
J A J A is offline

Default 4'x8' foam insulation panels question

Do those 4'x8' foam insulation panels commonly found in Lowes and HD
have any issues regarding toxic fumes release?

Does sunlight hitting them cause vapor problems?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J A" wrote in message
Do those 4'x8' foam insulation panels commonly found in Lowes and HD
have any issues regarding toxic fumes release?

Does sunlight hitting them cause vapor problems?

Thanks

What panels do you mean? The blue Styrofoam? The white bead foam? If so,
they do not outgas anything and they are the same base material used in
beverage cups.

They may degrade a bit over time exposed to sunlight. Give them a coat of
latex paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J A wrote:
Do those 4'x8' foam insulation panels commonly found in Lowes and HD
have any issues regarding toxic fumes release?

Does sunlight hitting them cause vapor problems?

Thanks

No, but fire does. Almost all of them require fire break (drywall) over
them if used in living space. I hear there are exceptions, but I haven't
personally managed to locate them. (I badly need to insulate my basement
walls, but don't want to go to the expense/work of a studded wall to cover.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
No, but fire does. Almost all of them require fire break (drywall) over
them if used in living space. I hear there are exceptions, but I haven't
personally managed to locate them. (I badly need to insulate my basement
walls, but don't want to go to the expense/work of a studded wall to
cover.)

aem sends...

There is a special fire retarding paint that can be applied over the foam.
Cost is something like $50 a gallon.