Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Loft insulation V storage

I have managed to get some free loft and cavity wall insulation.
I have loads of stuff in the loft but intend to reduce that by clearing
out, however there will still be a few boxes left.
The main loft area is currently floored and it is my intention to get
them to place insulation over this.
Once they have finished what damage (in terms of insulation loss) am I
likely to do if I place some boxes on the insulation and compact it, the
area that will be compacted is above bedrooms we dont use and the
heating is rarely on in these rooms.
There is not a lot of headroom in the loft so dont want to build
onto/above the rafters to create a raised floor, in any case I wouldnt
have time before the insulation goes in.
I really need to put some of this back up in the loft as it is mainly
antique stuff and worth a few bob so I want it up there and out the way.
Some of it I can span the rafters that support the roof as they are long
and light.

Any thoughts/ideas

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:02:35 +0100, ss wrote:

[...]

you need to rethink it?

why not build some "platforms" with legs to stand on the orig floor,
sparing the squashed insulation altogether?
if your stuff is worth a few bob not sure storing it in a loft with
extremes of heat/cold & poss condensation etc is optimal?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 7:02*pm, ss wrote:
[...]

You're not going to cause any damage by putting boxes onto the
insulation. All it'll do is compress it and reduce the R value in that
spot, which is fairly trivial.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2012 19:02, ss wrote:
I have managed to get some free loft and cavity wall insulation.
I have loads of stuff in the loft but intend to reduce that by clearing
out, however there will still be a few boxes left.
The main loft area is currently floored and it is my intention to get
them to place insulation over this.

Once they have finished what damage (in terms of insulation loss) am I
likely to do if I place some boxes on the insulation and compact it, the
area that will be compacted is above bedrooms we dont use and the
heating is rarely on in these rooms.

Rather than compact any insulation what I did was get some planks and
make a fairly simple roof rack assembly that sits on the original floor
and holds a set of support beams an inch or so above the insulation.

__________________
| |

With the separation chosen to be an exact multiple of roll width.

The boxes of junk than add to the insulation rather than subtracting.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/04/2012 09:02, Jim K wrote:
if your stuff is worth a few bob not sure storing it in a loft with
extremes of heat/cold & poss condensation etc is optimal?

Wooden case clocks mainly, probably more suited to a loft than a
centrally heated house. Most have been stored in lofts for about 30
years now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 09:54, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/04/2012 19:02, ss wrote:
[...]

I built a load of little 3 sided platforms to stand on the original
joists. It got rid of all the old chipboard carcassing I had lying around.
Or there's these

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulat...-Pack-11837507

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Once they have finished what damage (in terms of insulation loss) am I
likely to do if I place some boxes on the insulation and compact it, the
area that will be compacted is above bedrooms we dont use and the
heating is rarely on in these rooms.

So why not use the unused bedrooms as storage?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/04/2012 12:09, Gazz wrote:
So why not use the unused bedrooms as storage?

Exactly what I would do, but my wife thinks differently :-(
We have 3 spare bedrooms and they MUST be furnished as bedrooms even
though the chances of having more than one being used at any one time
are almost zero.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 10:25*am, ss wrote:
On 29/04/2012 09:02, Jim K wrote:

if your stuff is worth a few bob not sure storing it in a loft with
extremes of heat/cold & poss condensation etc is optimal?

Wooden case clocks mainly, probably more suited to a loft than a
centrally heated house. *Most have been stored in lofts for about 30
years now.

and now you are insulating it...

Jim K

Storage in loft Exhausted UK diy 6 August 23rd 08 04:42 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Better use of loft for light storage MikeT UK diy 23 June 20th 06 01:45 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
Loft Insulation and use as storage space news.aaisp.net.uk UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:06 AM