Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storage in loft

I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exhausted wrote:

I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

The roof space tends to have a large temperature variation, so it is
possible that some condensation will occur from moisture that is
already in the box contents.

I use small packs of silica gel. I buy a large (cheap) pack of silica
gel from a craft shop then make up smaller packs using small bags
Tesco sell, intended for "favours" at weddings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:21:46 +0100, Exhausted
wrote:

I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted

I've had documents in plastic boxes in the loft for a couple of years.
They seem okay last time I looked. I'm thinking of getting vacuum bags
for long term storage. They are supposed to protect against insect and
damp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug, 11:21, Exhausted wrote:
I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted

In addition to the advice you've been given
here you should be able to find acid-free paper
bags online. They really save spotting and other
unwanted effects on stored paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exhausted coughed up some electrons that declared:

I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted

I've had all sorts of stuff stored in an uninsulated loft before. It's
generally OK. IME, if paper goes in dry and it protected from dripping or
pooled water, it stays dry. To a degree the paper can buffer moisture
variations avoiding condensation, unlike metal tools, which are a bugger
for going rusty if not stored right. Personally I might put a tiny breather
hole in the base of the box.

As you said photos which I presume are valuable to you, perhaps, as someone
else suggested, silica gel just to be really really sure. You can get it in
bulk on the internet.

IME, mice and wasps are a bigger problem for destroying things - don't leave
any way either can get in.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:21:46 +0100, Exhausted wrote:
I want to store some old documents , books and photos in the loft. I am
planning on putting them in side plastic storage boxes, but I'm not sure
about the lid, the lid will stop any future roof leaks (not that I'm
planning on any the roof is sound) from damaging the contents , but will
the lid cause moisture in the boxes?

Exhausted

I have several boxes of papers (various sorts, but no photos) have been
in my lost for 20+ years - they all seem fine, though I don't check on
them very often. the boxes are old line-printer paper boxes with cardboard
lids.
I don't have any moisture ingress into the loft though it does get
quite warm in the summer.
Personally, I'd be more concerned with insects chewing them up than
moisture/damp problems,

--
.. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
.. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug 2008 14:45:05 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

I have several boxes of papers (various sorts, but no photos) have been
in my lost for 20+ years - they all seem fine, though I don't check on
them very often. the boxes are old line-printer paper boxes with
cardboard lids.

So nicely "breathable". Most lofts are pretty dry they get very hot in the
summer and even in winter appriecably warm if the sun is out. I'd be wary
of a plastic box unless it is 100% gas tight and you have good amount of
silica gell in as well.

I'd go for breathable boxes, lifted off any boarding so if you do get a
leak and puddles they don't sit in it. Loosely covered with heavy duty
polythene to keep dust and drips off.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with insects chewing them up than
moisture/damp problems,

Or rodents, they love paper for nests...

--
Cheers
Dave.