Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Building interior windows insulation panels

For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in
the void?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MM
writes
For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in
the void?

When things have sunk so low it may be best just to hang yourself from
the curtain rail.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

Any significant volume of air will be able to setup convection currents
that will lower its effectiveness.

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in
the void?

Fix a piece of solid PIR foam to the board.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

Is that something like Celotex?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 08 November 2013 15:38 MM wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Fix a piece of solid PIR foam to the board.

Is that something like Celotex?

Yes. Or Kingspan, Ballytherm and ahost of other branded version

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in
the void?

I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows.
Plus lots of other stuff.
I have a zero heating bill.
Pix here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam.
Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

Yup, or Kingspan, Ecotherm, "seconds" from any number of places. Dense
yellow foam usually with foil on at least one side.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

If the gap is more than about 20mm it won't work very well as convection
will start up. Hence the 20mm gap in double glazing.

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in
the void?

MM

PIR stuck to a bit of painted MDF with hinges on the sides, they used to
fit shutters in the past to keep warm.

You can use thermal curtain liners and/or thermal blinds too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 18:31, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

IIRC "loft insulation" (Rockwool etc) is far from light

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

What about making a frame and filling with polycarbonate sheeting I
think you can get double or triple layer, dont know about the insulation
value but would still let light in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

Fitting a second double glazed unit would (approx) halve the heat loss
and reduce the sound by a lot if its about 100mm from the outside window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message news
When things have sunk so low it may be best just to hang yourself from
the curtain rail.

LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"fred" wrote in message news
In article , MM
writes
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 16:55:43 -0000, "harryagain"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The pics are VERY impressive!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

I'm not unduly worried about the fact that the panels I envisage won't
let light in, because they are only for winter use during hours of
dusk and darkness. However, I may cover the street-facing side with
some net curtain material so that it doesn't look like the house is
condemned when I'm away.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
[...]

Ah, now I was planning to butt the panel up against the existing
double-glazed window frame, but you seem to be suggesting that it
would be better placed just inside the window recess?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 12:35, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2013 16:55, harryagain wrote:
I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows.
Plus lots of other stuff.
I have a zero heating bill.
Pix here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam.
Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

How do you achieve sufficient air changes in the rooms with the shutters
closed?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 12:35, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

Colin Bignell

Insulated shutters. Now there's an idea
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 12:31, MM wrote:
I'm not unduly worried about the fact that the panels I envisage won't
let light in, because they are only for winter use during hours of
dusk and darkness. However, I may cover the street-facing side with
some net curtain material so that it doesn't look like the house is
condemned when I'm away.

It won't look condemned so much as a terrorist cell hideout or a
cannabis factory.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 15:36, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 12:35, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with
hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting insulated.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2013 15:38, Nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2013 16:55, harryagain wrote:
I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows.
Plus lots of other stuff.
I have a zero heating bill.
Pix here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam.
Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

How do you achieve sufficient air changes in the rooms with the shutters
closed?

heat recovery ventilation would be one option...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 12:35:56 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

Colin Bignell

If you mean *external* shutters, no, they wouldn't. They would not
"fit in" with the look of the house.

If you mean *internal* shutters, they would be there permanently,
throughout spring, summer and nautumn, too, and I wouldn't want that.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 00:11:38 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 09/11/2013 15:36, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 12:35, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with
hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting insulated.

Eh? It looks totally fine to me! Charm is perhaps one way of saying
you're prepared to freeze your tits off in winter?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 15:40:48 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 09/11/2013 12:31, MM wrote:
I'm not unduly worried about the fact that the panels I envisage won't
let light in, because they are only for winter use during hours of
dusk and darkness. However, I may cover the street-facing side with
some net curtain material so that it doesn't look like the house is
condemned when I'm away.

It won't look condemned so much as a terrorist cell hideout or a
cannabis factory.

Colin Bignell

A quick heat check will reveal that no plants are growing there. I
can't do much about the terrorists, though. Maybe a sign saying "No
terrorists live here" would do the trick. Or did you mean, immigrants?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 08/11/2013 16:55, harryagain wrote:
I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows.
Plus lots of other stuff.
I have a zero heating bill.
Pix here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam.
Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

How do you achieve sufficient air changes in the rooms with the shutters
closed?

Colin Bignell

They are only closed by night inWinter.
They make no difference to air leaks/changes/draughts.
My problem is preventing air changes rather then encouraging them.
If you ever have your house tested for air leaks, you will realise this.

Even if you have good draughtproofing, the seals wear out amazing fast.
Previously I had never noticed this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/11/2013 15:38, Nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2013 16:55, harryagain wrote:
I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows.
Plus lots of other stuff.
I have a zero heating bill.
Pix here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam.
Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

How do you achieve sufficient air changes in the rooms with the shutters
closed?

heat recovery ventilation would be one option...

I considered it.
However I have visited lots of houses with it that have shut it down and
don't use it.
So much heat still escapes, even at 85% efficint (Which I don't believe).
Gets worse as the plant gets older, needs electricity, filter and
maintenance.
So I came to the conclusion it was complete bollix.
Conventional houses don't need it, why should I?

Most of my heat loss is draughts, so why do I need it?
I know this because winds have the greatest effect on inside temperature.

We have a cooker hood and shower extractor so I expect the most air changes
come from that (even when not running)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 08/11/2013 14:35, MM wrote:
For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for
my house windows, as shown he

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard
both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating
material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place
during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would
be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer
they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the
insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

If the gap is more than about 20mm it won't work very well as convection
will start up. Hence the 20mm gap in double glazing.

It dependson what's in there. With argon it can be more as the gas is more
"viscous".
The increased gap is the main benifit of argon (if they have it, some don't)
Argon is bollix anyway, it soon leaks out.
The only time you become aware of leaks is when the dessicant is used up.
They can leak for year but you never know until the condensation appears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/11/2013 15:36, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 12:35, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2013 11:45, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with
hardboard???

Brian

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting insulated.

Eh? It looks totally fine to me!

To my eye it is remarkably ugly and characterless.

Charm is perhaps one way of saying
you're prepared to freeze your tits off in winter?

Just heat the room(s) you are actually using and wear more clothes, as
people used to do and some of us still do. According to Government
figures, UK energy use has increased significantly since 1972 as a
direct result of higher expectations of levels of warmth and heating the
whole house.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/11/2013 12:31, MM wrote:
I'm not unduly worried about the fact that the panels I envisage won't
let light in, because they are only for winter use during hours of
dusk and darkness. However, I may cover the street-facing side with
some net curtain material so that it doesn't look like the house is
condemned when I'm away.

It won't look condemned so much as a terrorist cell hideout or a
cannabis factory.

Colin Bignell

A quick heat check will reveal that no plants are growing there.

Not if you have insulated properly. A factory near here was only
detected by the smell, when Police attended a property nearby. The heat
signature was minimal.

can't do much about the terrorists, though. Maybe a sign saying "No
terrorists live here" would do the trick. Or did you mean, immigrants?

Nope. I have no issue with immigrants. However, constantly obscured
windows is one of the indicators that can suggest a terrorist presence.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2013 08:44, harryagain wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Because, if you have done the job properly, your house will have a lot
less ventilation than conventional houses. Too little air movement can
lead to respiratory problems and the Building Regulations set a minimum
ventilation rate of 0.3 litres per second per square metre of floor area
because of this.

Most of my heat loss is draughts, so why do I need it?
I know this because winds have the greatest effect on inside temperature.

That could simply be the wind chill effect on the walls lowering the
effective outside temperature.

We have a cooker hood and shower extractor so I expect the most air changes
come from that (even when not running)

That will be inadequate if that is all you have.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In my work I visit quite a few offices. The other day the radiators in
one were so hot as to be dangerous, TRVs set at max, and window open
because it was too hot.

It seems to me that the majority of desks have some form of electric
heating - 2 or 3 kW fan heater, oil-filled rad, etc. - which is on from
sometime in September until they goon their summer holidays next year.

As a visitor, who has often walked for some distance and is wearing
outdoor clothes, almost every office distressingly warm/hot. As are many
shops.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:14:21 +0000, MM wrote:

If you mean *internal* shutters, they would be there permanently,
throughout spring, summer and nautumn, too, and I wouldn't want that.

Done properly they hinge back into recesses in the reveals and just
blend in. Modern houses don't have deep enough reveals though, even
old ones with deep reveals would have bi-fold shutters each side.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:15:34 +0000, MM wrote:

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty

looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting

insulated.

Eh? It looks totally fine to me! Charm is perhaps one way of saying
you're prepared to freeze your tits off in winter?

Still looks like a nuclear bunker, particulary inside with those
miniscule windows in deep, square, reveals so dim and dingey.

Actually I think the bungalows built as the entreances to the RSG's
looked better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvedo...Nuclear_Bunker

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like an "Iain Duncan Smith" missive to poor people.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 10 November 2013 13:28 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:15:34 +0000, MM wrote:

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty

looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting

insulated.

Eh? It looks totally fine to me! Charm is perhaps one way of saying
you're prepared to freeze your tits off in winter?

Still looks like a nuclear bunker, particulary inside with those
miniscule windows in deep, square, reveals so dim and dingey.

Actually I think the bungalows built as the entreances to the RSG's
looked better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvedo...Nuclear_Bunker

Cool - that's marked down for a visit!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2013 14:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 10 November 2013 13:28 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:15:34 +0000, MM wrote:

Except that proper shutters would look better.

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty

looking
dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting

insulated.

Eh? It looks totally fine to me! Charm is perhaps one way of saying
you're prepared to freeze your tits off in winter?

Still looks like a nuclear bunker, particulary inside with those
miniscule windows in deep, square, reveals so dim and dingey.

Actually I think the bungalows built as the entreances to the RSG's
looked better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvedo...Nuclear_Bunker

Cool - that's marked down for a visit!

It is well worth it.

Colin Bignell

Interior wall insulation BartC UK diy 15 January 7th 11 11:26 AM
4'x8' foam insulation panels question J A Home Repair 3 February 19th 08 03:35 AM
Can I make raised panels on a cheap interior door? Stupid48 Woodworking 14 February 13th 07 02:24 PM
Interior Basement Wall Insulation Q. Home Repair 4 October 15th 05 02:59 AM
building an interior wall AutoTracer Home Repair 5 May 18th 05 12:35 AM