Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing my Dashcam

After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message news

After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

Should've thought about that before buying it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 18:06, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is
the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the cover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/16 18:06, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Lol. Seems these things (from what I've noticed on Techmoan) universally
use 3M VHB tape. From the following you should be OK, maybe heat up the
car inside hot with the AC to get rid of moisture?

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-vhb-tapes.pdf

"Temperatu
Ideal application temperature range is 70°F to 100°F (21°C to 38°C).
Pressure sensitive adhesives use
viscous flow to achieve substrate contact area. Minimum suggested
application temperatures:
• 50°F (10°C):
3M™ VHB™ Tapes 5952 and RP families.
• 60°F (15°C):
3M™ VHB™ Tape 4941 family.
Note:
Initial tape application to surfaces at temperatures below these
suggested minimums is not recommended
because the adhesive becomes too firm to adhere readily. However, once
properly applied, low temperature
holding is generally satisfactory.

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

Depends on the size, ease of wiring, access to the memory card, look
from the outside, screen visbility etc...

If I had an excuse for one, I'd mount it behind the driving mirror - and
probably I'd buy a second one for the back ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 18:05:53 UTC, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxx2N5pWEAA3Y0a.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:06:29 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

That sounds like some grass fertiliser my Dad bought many years ago,
which was supposed to be applied 5 hours after the previous, and 5 hours
before the next, rainfall.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MrCheerful
writes

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is
the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the
cover.

My very cheapo ones are now relegated to security uses in various places
because of the difficulty of getting the memory card out without taking
the camera down.
I went upmarket to my £10 current one, which looks like the many called
"GT300", but admits to no name anywhere. It sits LHS behind the mirror
and I had to extend the cable to reach all the way round the screen and
across. It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted
windscreen sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to
get out. I've ordered a much more expensive model for the other car and
will mount it in a similar place.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Simon Mason writes
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxx2N5pWEAA3Y0a.jpg

Isn't that a totally illegal and dangerous position?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 18:50:18 UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
Simon Mason writes
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxx2N5pWEAA3Y0a.jpg

Isn't that a totally illegal and dangerous position?
--
Bill

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
On 27/11/2016 18:06, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is
the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the cover.

If you mean the side pillar, the lead's a good metre short for that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , MrCheerful
writes

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is
the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the cover.

My very cheapo ones are now relegated to security uses in various places
because of the difficulty of getting the memory card out without taking
the camera down.

where did I say I bought a cheapo one :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 18:45, Bill wrote:

snip

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted
windscreen sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to
get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
Bill wrote

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen
sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dashcam that can airdrop or airdroid etc
instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 20:05, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxxx wrote
Bill wrote

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen
sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dashcam that can airdrop or airdroid
etc instead.

I confess mine is a cheapie, but then it works quite well.

I have also been able to check it simply overwrites old files.

Since I leave it in the car (on the floor out of view), I wouldn't want
to spend any money on something that might get stolen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxxx
writes
Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

No, but I've been trying to make a video of areas of interest to swap
with a contact in the USA.
The next step is to get more up to speed with video editing.

And in the last 2 weeks we have arrived at the scene of 3 accidents
before the police/ambulance were there. Luckily others were there before
us. Two of them were cars into the same traffic light pole. I was very
impressed by how soon the man was at the side of the road with his head
in the cabinet getting the lights going again.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Fredxxx wrote
Bill wrote

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen
sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dashcam that can airdrop or airdroid etc
instead.

I confess mine is a cheapie, but then it works quite well.

I have also been able to check it simply overwrites old files.

Since I leave it in the car (on the floor out of view), I wouldn't want to
spend any money on something that might get stolen.

That’s why I want one that can be installed completely invisible. That
way I can not even mention that I have one if the accident is my fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 18:06, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Stick it on when the car and windscreen are nice and warm after a run.

Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area
is the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the
cover.

If you mean the side pillar, the lead's a good metre short for that

It is worthwhile buying a transformer thing that can be hard wired into
the car, they come with a seriously long lead too. About 4 quid off
ebay. My original camera fag lead adaptor was actually very long, so I
assumed they all were.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 18:50, Bill wrote:
In message ,
Simon Mason writes
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxx2N5pWEAA3Y0a.jpg

Isn't that a totally illegal and dangerous position?

Only when the car is in use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
Out of your eyeline and high, left of the mirror and in a swept area is
the most usual place. Run the lead up the pillar tucked behind the cover.

Yes, make sure it's in a part of the screen that the wipers keep clear of
water.

Check that it doesn't obscure any modern gadgetry. We have a Honda CRV with
auto high/dip beam. After installing the camera, immediately to the right of
the mirror housing, we found that the auto dip/beam wasn't working. Then I
checked and found that the housing contains a camera that looks for the
presence of oncoming headlights - and the dashcam was obscuring its view :-)
Changing the dashcam to the corresponding position on the other side of the
housing cured that one.

Sadly on my Peugeot 308 the best out-of-the eyeline position is not swept by
the wipers, and I'd need to put the camera surprisingly low on the screen if
it is to go near the mirror, to get it in a swept area.

Lower down near where the tax disc used to go is out of eyeline and is
usually in a swept area, but the bonnet can obscure the road close to the
car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message news

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message news

After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

Should've thought about that before buying it.

Why!

Dunno. Maybe the supplied lead might be too short...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You mean you have to glue it to the window?
I guess the heater on for a while might be OK but does anything ever stick
to an older bit of glass successfully?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"tim..." wrote in message
news
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
On 27/11/2016 20:05, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxxx wrote
Bill wrote

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen
sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dashcam that can airdrop or airdroid
etc instead.

I confess mine is a cheapie, but then it works quite well.

I have also been able to check it simply overwrites old files.

Since I leave it in the car (on the floor out of view), I wouldn't want to
spend any money on something that might get stolen.

One of the issue with the one that I have, is that once it's stuck to the
screen it's virtually got to be left there (theoretically you can separate
the unit from the mount but it's not got a quick release and the force
required in pulling it apart day after day is either going to wear out the
joint so that it no longer holds the camera in place or pull the mount off
the screen (or worse).

is there really a risk of someone breaking in to steal such a unit in normal
usage (I'm not going to be routinely parking my car in Liverpool's
backstreets)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You mean you have to glue it to the window?

It seems that you do :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message news

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message news
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

Should've thought about that before buying it.

Why!

Dunno.

I was simply enquiring about the best place to put it for actually getting
the best picture (from other people's experiences)

I realise that I can hold it in place to see, but given that it's finally
stuck on with glue, rather than a rubber sucker, I can only do that with it
parked in the car park, not trial and error in actual use

I might try and see if I can temporarily hold it in place with sticky tape!

Maybe the supplied lead might be too short...

It's long enough to reach the plug from anywhere on the screen. Whether
that is draped across the windscreen or not, is another matter. But as long
as it's in the space to the left of my mirror I doubt it will cause anything
more than a minor distraction (though I guess I'll have to remove the lead
for my MOT test).

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 09:17, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message news

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

You will be surprised at how annoying that lead will be, I put up with
it for one journey before rearranging things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 27/11/16 18:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

That's all very well for the initial application,

but the adhesive takes 24 hours to cure

I might manage to heat the car up to 20 degrees inside for the actual
application, but a few hours later the overnight frost is going to take it
back down to 0 degrees.

How does that affect the result?

(and no, I don't have a garage I can keep the car in overnight, nor do I
know anybody who has one - that isn't permanently full of junk)

I'm fast coming round to the conclusion that I really am going to have to
stick it on temporarily some other way, until July :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
You mean you have to glue it to the window?
I guess the heater on for a while might be OK but does anything ever stick
to an older bit of glass successfully?
Brian

It's a sticky pad - so as long as the glass is degreased (use some
alcohol and rub well, then dry and warm the glass as suggested) it's fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 09:19, MrCheerful wrote:
On 28/11/2016 09:17, tim... wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message news

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

For a quick DIY job, tuck it just under the headlining trim.

After that, the classic routing method is down the A pillar, but some
people (me included to be honest) are scared to take that off, with the
air bags and all. However, if you have a look around YouTube there are
some good vids. The classic method seems to be run it just over the top
of the A pillar then shove it in the door seal, then out at knee height
to it can be clipped under the console.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 27/11/16 18:06, tim... wrote:
[...]

Even in July, how often is it 20deg for 24 hours where you live?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:11:15 -0000, tim... wrote:

You mean you have to glue it to the window?

It seems that you do :-)

Yuk, wander over to Amazon/eBay and get a suction to
windscreen/magnet to device mount (normally sold for smart phones).
Means mount is easy to remove/reposition and so is the device when
you want to bring it inside to download a video file of something
interesting.

If I ever get another dashcam it'll have WiFi so I can connect to it
without having to remove it or take the card out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/11/16 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
You mean you have to glue it to the window?
I guess the heater on for a while might be OK but does anything ever
stick
to an older bit of glass successfully?
Brian

It's a sticky pad - so as long as the glass is degreased (use some
alcohol and rub well, then dry and warm the glass as suggested) it's fine.

IME most sticky pads are useless when the screen heats up with the
sun\b ob it. I used a glue from Amazon which so far is working.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 18:05:53 UTC, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Anyone any comments

BTW where is the best place to put it?

You really are tempting me to tell you ;-)
At leat the temprature would eb about right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:11:15 -0000, tim... wrote:

You mean you have to glue it to the window?

It seems that you do :-)

Yuk, wander over to Amazon/eBay and get a suction to
windscreen/magnet to device mount (normally sold for smart phones).

That's not going to work

there is nothing on the cam that the magnet will stick to

what I need is a suction cup to flat surface that I can stick the cam mount
to (and meet the temp requirements by doing the adhesion bit inside)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:11:15 -0000, tim... wrote:

You mean you have to glue it to the window?

It seems that you do :-)

Yuk, wander over to Amazon/eBay and get a suction to
windscreen/magnet to device mount (normally sold for smart phones).

That's not going to work

there is nothing on the cam that the magnet will stick to

what I need is a suction cup to flat surface that I can stick the cam
mount to (and meet the temp requirements by doing the adhesion bit inside)

OK, seems I can buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windscreen-...23GYYM2FV2PGS5

sorted (I hope)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
[...]

Bet there is, particularly with the better
ones that the average thief should be
able to work out easily with it so visible.

(I'm not going to be routinely parking my car in Liverpool's backstreets)

IMO it makes more sense to have one that
can be completely invisible so that if you
are the cause of the accident, there is no
need to say anything about it at that time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/16 22:55, Rod Speed wrote:

is there really a risk of someone breaking in to steal such a unit in
normal usage

Bet there is, particularly with the better
ones that the average thief should be
able to work out easily with it so visible.

(I'm not going to be routinely parking my car in Liverpool's backstreets)

IMO it makes more sense to have one that
can be completely invisible so that if you
are the cause of the accident, there is no
need to say anything about it at that time.

The problem is that most of these cams are black and if the usually
light-coloured sun visor is down, they stand out like a sore thumb. Many
cars have good-quality video cams in them for speed sign reading, etc
these days, so it is a pity that the manufacturers don't put in a USB
connection for simple video recording to an SDHC card, or just an SDHC
socket with built-in overwriting software when the card is full.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

is there really a risk of someone breaking in to steal such a unit in
normal usage

Bet there is, particularly with the better
ones that the average thief should be
able to work out easily with it so visible.

(I'm not going to be routinely parking my car in Liverpool's
backstreets)

IMO it makes more sense to have one that
can be completely invisible so that if you
are the cause of the accident, there is no
need to say anything about it at that time.

The problem is that most of these cams are black and if the usually
light-coloured sun visor is down, they stand out like a sore thumb.

Good reason for not having it all in the one device that
stands out like dog's balls glued to the windscreen IMO.

Many cars have good-quality video cams in them for speed sign reading, etc
these days, so it is a pity that the manufacturers don't put in a USB
connection for simple video recording to an SDHC card, or just an SDHC
socket with built-in overwriting software when the card is full.

Makes a lot more sense to have fully integrated cameras for
all of dashcam, reversing cameras, parking assistance cameras,
security cameras and driving assistance cameras, which can't be
stolen by some goon with something that can smash a window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

I had to refit a rear-view mirror in my car last year. In winter.
Instructions similar to yours - works best fitted in warm conditions.

Ran a fan heater in the cabin for half an hour and had a helper train a
hairdryer on the mounting spot, then ran the heater on low power for
another hour while the glue cured.

It's still there.

You must make sure the glass is completely spotless and grease-free with
any traces of old glue removed, and don't use a cleaner that leaves a
residue (e.g. meths)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

I had to refit a rear-view mirror in my car last year. In winter.
Instructions similar to yours - works best fitted in warm conditions.

Ran a fan heater in the cabin for half an hour and had a helper train a
hairdryer on the mounting spot, then ran the heater on low power for
another hour while the glue cured.

It's still there.

The difference is:

I almost never ever touch my mirror once it is correctly aligned

I am likely to be continually fiddling with a dashcam and therefore
repeatedly putting strain on the mount

tim

Top fixing Part P UK diy 1 May 8th 06 06:52 AM
A/C Needs Fixing HvacTech2 Home Repair 19 July 3rd 05 06:57 PM
Fixing thru DPM Magician UK diy 1 March 8th 05 07:26 PM
Fixing through DPM Magician UK diy 0 March 6th 05 01:27 PM
Help with cam fixing TrailRat Woodworking 3 February 23rd 05 10:07 AM