Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Fixing my Dashcam

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
On 27/11/2016 20:05, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxxx wrote
Bill wrote

It works really well apart from the scratched and pitted windscreen
sparkling in some sun positions, and the SD card is easy to get out.

Do you have so many prangs you have to keep removing the SD card?

The only reason I remove mine is to confirm the unit still records.

Makes a lot more sense to have a dashcam that can airdrop or airdroid
etc instead.

I confess mine is a cheapie, but then it works quite well.

I have also been able to check it simply overwrites old files.

Since I leave it in the car (on the floor out of view), I wouldn't want
to spend any money on something that might get stolen.

One of the issue with the one that I have, is that once it's stuck to the
screen it's virtually got to be left there (theoretically you can separate
the unit from the mount but it's not got a quick release and the force
required in pulling it apart day after day is either going to wear out the
joint so that it no longer holds the camera in place or pull the mount off
the screen (or worse).

is there really a risk of someone breaking in to steal such a unit in
normal usage

Bet there is, particularly with the better
ones that the average thief should be
able to work out easily with it so visible.

(I'm not going to be routinely parking my car in Liverpool's backstreets)

IMO it makes more sense to have one that
can be completely invisible so that if you
are the cause of the accident, there is no
need to say anything about it at that time.