Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Fixing my Dashcam

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 27/11/16 18:06, tim... wrote:
After RTFM

"When affixing the mount to the window the ambient temp must be 21-38
decrees C"

What the !!!!

You mean that I have to wait until July before I can use it?

Lol. Seems these things (from what I've noticed on Techmoan) universally
use 3M VHB tape. From the following you should be OK, maybe heat up the
car inside hot with the AC to get rid of moisture?

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-vhb-tapes.pdf

"Temperatu
Ideal application temperature range is 70°F to 100°F (21°C to 38°C).
Pressure sensitive adhesives use
viscous flow to achieve substrate contact area. Minimum suggested
application temperatures:
• 50°F (10°C):
3M™ VHB™ Tapes 5952 and RP families.
• 60°F (15°C):
3M™ VHB™ Tape 4941 family.
Note:
Initial tape application to surfaces at temperatures below these suggested
minimums is not recommended
because the adhesive becomes too firm to adhere readily. However, once
properly applied, low temperature
holding is generally satisfactory.

That's all very well for the initial application,

but the adhesive takes 24 hours to cure

I might manage to heat the car up to 20 degrees inside for the actual
application, but a few hours later the overnight frost is going to take it
back down to 0 degrees.

How does that affect the result?

(and no, I don't have a garage I can keep the car in overnight, nor do I
know anybody who has one - that isn't permanently full of junk)

I'm fast coming round to the conclusion that I really am going to have to
stick it on temporarily some other way, until July :-)

tim