Ted Woodley

Default Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Who is Sarah Beeney ? Does she _do_ anything, or is she just someone
on the telly ?

She is a successful property developer!

MM

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other
than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly
exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.
BillR

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Mike Mitchell wrote:

God, didn't you just want to push that woman off the top of her
unfinished roof!

Don't the regs require the bannister rails to be something much
more substantial with smaller gaps?

Chris

Yes they are very specific about this. I believe a 300mm sphere should not
be able to go through anywhere.
Presumably this is to simulate a child's head

Bill Gardener

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:35:11 -0000, "Bill Gardener"
wrote:

The best bit for me was when they stayed at the Red Cow pub, very

fitting!

Maybe they'll be renaming it Mad Cow.

MM

or maybe Mad Red Cow as she did have very red hair!

IMM

"Kris" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:19:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

After all its always much easier to PRETEND that you are clever,

IMM springs to mind :-)

LOL. so funny. Read and learn.

---

IMM

"Ted Woodley" wrote in message
om...
Who is Sarah Beeney ? Does she _do_ anything, or is she just someone
on the telly ?

She is a successful property developer!

MM

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other
than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly
exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.

Yes, that was a disgrace to the hunchback race.

---

Kris

wrote:

After all its always much easier to PRETEND that you are clever,

IMM springs to mind :-)

witchy/binarydinosaurs

ATB

Kris
Christian McArdle

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other
than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly
exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.

Sounds like the apocryphal electrician's house with rubber wires sticking
out of the walls, or the plumber's house where you have to sh*t in a bucket.
Too busy out making money and don't want to return home to do what you've
been doing at work all day.

Christian.

S Viemeister

Christian McArdle wrote:

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other
than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly
exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.

Sounds like the apocryphal electrician's house with rubber wires sticking
out of the walls, or the plumber's house where you have to sh*t in a bucket.
Too busy out making money and don't want to return home to do what you've
been doing at work all day.

Yes. My father was a professional photographer. I have NO pictures of my
wedding.

IMM

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other
than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly
exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.

Sounds like the apocryphal electrician's house with rubber wires

sticking
out of the walls, or the plumber's house where you have to sh*t in a

bucket.
Too busy out making money and don't want to return home to do what

you've
been doing at work all day.

Yes. My father was a professional photographer. I have NO pictures of my
wedding.

Most people would consider that a good thing.

---

G&M

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:23:07 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

This show tonight was the nadir of Property Ladder.

Nadir or zenith ?

I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two bedroom terrace
is London is now worth near to half a million pounds. You can buy a five
bedroom detached house, 10 acres of land and a barn larger than that whole
terrace house (upstairs and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.
And I mean easy commuting, not the up to two hours there and again back I
gather some people down there do.

When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

Christian McArdle

Yes. My father was a professional photographer. I have NO pictures
of my wedding.

Most people would consider that a good thing.

I'm sure that came out ruder than expected!

Christian.

IMM

wrote:

This show tonight was the nadir of Property Ladder.

Nadir or zenith ?

I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two bedroom

terrace
is London is now worth near to half a million pounds. You can buy a five
bedroom detached house, 10 acres of land and a barn larger than that whole
terrace house (upstairs and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.
And I mean easy commuting, not the up to two hours there and again back I
gather some people down there do.

Where was that house? What area of London? The sort that buy those houses
generally also have a house in country.

When is this government going to decentralise,
starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started in the 1970s
but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, DVLA in Swansea, etc.

---

S Viemeister

Christian McArdle wrote:

Yes. My father was a professional photographer. I have NO pictures
of my wedding.

Most people would consider that a good thing.

I'm sure that came out ruder than expected!

Especially since I was actually quite attractive back then. Hmmph.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

After all its always much easier to PRETEND that you are clever,

IMM springs to mind :-)

LOL. so funny. Read and learn.

I suspect the comment came as a direct result of following the course of
action you prescribe....actually ;-)

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

This show tonight was the nadir of Property Ladder.

Nadir or zenith ?

I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two bedroom terrace
is London is now worth near to half a million pounds. You can buy a five
bedroom detached house, 10 acres of land and a barn larger than that whole
terrace house (upstairs and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.
And I mean easy commuting, not the up to two hours there and again back I
gather some people down there do.

When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

Indeed. But then you would have all those grotty no hoper suits
cluutering up the countryside and suburbanising it even more.

I say have a quiet word with Osama, and poison the whole of london.

Where is shipman when you need him?

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"G&M" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

This show tonight was the nadir of Property Ladder.

Nadir or zenith ?

I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two bedroom

terrace

is London is now worth near to half a million pounds. You can buy a five
bedroom detached house, 10 acres of land and a barn larger than that whole
terrace house (upstairs and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.
And I mean easy commuting, not the up to two hours there and again back I
gather some people down there do.

Where was that house? What area of London? The sort that buy those houses
generally also have a house in country.

How little you know of life!

When is this government going to decentralise,
starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started in the 1970s
but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, DVLA in Swansea, etc.

There's a place waiting for you in Cuba, IMM.

Tony Bryer

In article , G&M wrote:
I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two
bedroom terrace is London is now worth near to half a million
pounds. You can buy a five bedroom detached house, 10 acres of
land and a barn larger than that whole terrace house (upstairs
and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.

You can, and, as we repeatedly point out to IMM, people who have the
money to make such choices would, for the most part, much rather
have a poky cottage in Richmond than a barn near Manchester. I don't
see it myself but ultimately things are worth what people are
prepared to pay for them. IMM's claim that the people who pay these
sums for poky cottages all have second homes in the country, if
true, merely shows that living in £300K house at weekends and in
town during the week beats commuting from a £700K house in the back
of nowhere.

Julian Fowler

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:22:43 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , G&M wrote:
I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two
bedroom terrace is London is now worth near to half a million
pounds. You can buy a five bedroom detached house, 10 acres of
land and a barn larger than that whole terrace house (upstairs
and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.

You can, and, as we repeatedly point out to IMM, people who have the
money to make such choices would, for the most part, much rather
have a poky cottage in Richmond than a barn near Manchester.

Really? Surely its the case that people think that they *have* to
live in the vicinity of the capital, because that's where all the
overpaid jobs are, that enable to people to afford ludicrous
mortgages, so that they can afford to live near the capital, etc.,
etc. I can't think of any reason why anyone would actually *want* to
live and/or work the open sewer otherwise known as London: personally,
you'd have to pay me half a million to tolerate doing either ;-)

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
IMM

wrote:

[...]

Great place. I was thee last year.

---

IMM

wrote:

[...]

Oh brainwashed one. Only 7.5% of the land is built on. Too much of it to
build to make any impact at all.

I say have a quiet word with Osama, and poison the whole of london.

Where is shipman when you need him?

---

G&M

I say have a quiet word with Osama, and poison the whole of london.

Where is shipman when you need him?

He was doing his stuff about five miles from here :-)

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , G&M wrote:
I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two
bedroom terrace is London is now worth near to half a million
pounds. You can buy a five bedroom detached house, 10 acres of
land and a barn larger than that whole terrace house (upstairs
and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.

You can, and, as we repeatedly point out to IMM,
people who have the money to make such choices
would, for the most part, much rather
have a poky cottage in Richmond than a barn near
Manchester.

Balls! Not everyone wants to live in London. Most people in the UK detest
the place.

I don't see it myself but ultimately things
are worth what people are prepared to pay
for them.

Balls again. In a rigged land market the situation is different. There is
an "artificial" land shortage. Why don't you find out instead of prattling
garbage.

IMM's claim that the people who pay these
sums for poky cottages all have second homes
in the country, if true, merely shows that living
in £300K house at weekends and in
town during the week beats commuting from
a £700K house in the back
of nowhere.

More tripe. As soon as those people no longer rely on the city for there
living, they get out sharpies to there £700K house.

---

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message
When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing

it can influence - the civil service.

Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started in the

1970s
but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, DVLA in Swansea,

etc.

I think it was more down to that episode of Yes Prime Minister when the head
of the armed forces refused to move out of London "because how could the
wife get to Harrods"

G&M

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , G&M wrote:
I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two
bedroom terrace is London is now worth near to half a million
pounds. You can buy a five bedroom detached house, 10 acres of
land and a barn larger than that whole terrace house (upstairs
and down) within commuting distance of Manchester.

You can, and, as we repeatedly point out to IMM, people who have the
money to make such choices would, for the most part, much rather
have a poky cottage in Richmond than a barn near Manchester.

But by moving jobs out of London, demand would drop and prices would be far
nearer the amount people with real jobs could afford.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message
When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing

it can influence - the civil service.

Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started in the

1970s
but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, DVLA in Swansea,

etc.

I think it was more down to that episode of Yes Prime Minister when the

head
of the armed forces refused to move out of London "because how could the
wife get to Harrods"

Most of that series was based on fact. The main MOD and government research
sites are never more than 1 hour out of London. It is disgusting how
centralised the country is.

---

G&M

"IMM" wrote in message
The main MOD and government research
sites are never more than 1 hour out of London. It is disgusting how
centralised the country is.

Is that so Hitler, Stalin or Bin Laden could wipe them all out in the first
strike so no one would be able to blame them for not protecting the country
?

Tony Bryer

In article , Imm wrote:
More tripe. As soon as those people no longer rely on the city
for there living, they get out sharpies to there £700K house.

Hmm. Roughly one person in 7 (23618/172808: 2001 census) in LB
Richmond is over 65. Most will be homeowners and could sell up and
buy a very nice place away from London. But for the most part they
haven't. Perhaps they realise that as you get older having shops and
friends within walking distance and public transport that runs every
day of the week beats being stuck in some lonely country cottage.

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Imm wrote:
More tripe. As soon as those people no longer rely on the city
for there living, they get out sharpies to there £700K house.

Hmm. Roughly one person in 7 (23618/172808: 2001 census) in LB
Richmond is over 65. Most will be homeowners and could sell up and
buy a very nice place away from London. But for the most part they
haven't. Perhaps they realise that as you get older having shops and
friends within walking distance and public transport that runs every
day of the week beats being stuck in some lonely country cottage.

Those that are outsiders, still yearn for where they came from.

---

Capitol

IMM wrote in message ...
Those two were in management. How did they do their jobs right with that
sort of logic.

They were probably in the IR or the NHS!

Regards
Capitol

Capitol

G&M wrote in message ...

But by moving jobs out of London, demand would drop and prices would be far
nearer the amount people with real jobs could afford.

We tried that in the 40's and 50's. it did actually work for a while. The
policy was destroyed by cheap public transport and cheap rented housing. The
only way to make it work now is to drastically increase the London
congestion charge, to stop subsidising public transport, privatise it and
make people pay the real going rate for transport(airlines?) and all
services( the cost of digging up London roads is horrific). When firms can
no longer afford to attract workers, they will voluntarily move out of
London and the people will follow. We also need to stop paying a London
allowance to civil servants etc. The market will soon sort out the problems.
Comfortable-NO, will it work YES!

Moving Parliament would also be a good idea, but the featherbedded
politicians would fight change, tooth and nail.
Regards
Capitol

al

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Imm wrote:
More tripe. As soon as those people no longer rely on the city
for there living, they get out sharpies to there £700K house.

Hmm. Roughly one person in 7 (23618/172808: 2001 census) in LB
Richmond is over 65. Most will be homeowners and could sell up and
buy a very nice place away from London. But for the most part they
haven't. Perhaps they realise that as you get older having shops and
friends within walking distance and public transport that runs every
day of the week beats being stuck in some lonely country cottage.

With you on that ... I like living in London because it's got some life.
Not some dead-end middle-of-nowhere country place with no restaurants, no
pubs, no clubs, no museums, no theatres, no public transport, no nightbus,
no open minded people ... etc. etc. etc.

And before I get a raft of people deciding to side with IMM, I do realise
that normal, well balanced (and quite skilled DIY'ers!) live outside of
London too ;o)

I choose to live in London not because I work here but because I want to.
Some people like the quiet life - I don't.

Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:50:57 -0000, "G&M" wrote:

When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

When the terrorists make London uninhabitable for 1,000 years....

MM
Owain

"G&M" wrote
| "IMM" wrote
| When is this government going to decentralise, starting with
| the thing it can influence - the civil service.
| Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started
| in the 1970s but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle,
| DVLA in Swansea, etc.
| I think it was more down to that episode of Yes Prime Minister when
| the head of the armed forces refused to move out of London "because
| how could the wife get to Harrods"

The Scottish Parliament wants to do something similar, but the civil
servants want to stay in Edinburgh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3081885.stm

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

In article , G&M wrote:

[...]

Quite true. The stupid peasnts look at Londom salaries and imagine they
will get rich.

Well maybe, if they finally retire to a barn near Manchester, they will be.

But most people in london are simply struggling to pay the mortgage
every month.

Julian

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Oh brainwashed one. Only 7.5% of the land is built on. Too much of it to
build to make any impact at all.

Thats because as a nation we like to have gaps between houses and towns.

It provides places to put teh roads and raliways, walk the dogs, and
plant the odd tree.

30% occupancy of land is very high desnity urban stuf.

7.5% is still very very full, when you allow for the huge tracts of land
in te UK that are completely isolated and not sutuable for building on
at all.

I say have a quiet word with Osama, and poison the whole of london.

Where is shipman when you need him?

---

G&M

"Capitol" wrote in message
Moving Parliament would also be a good idea,

Good move. There's lot of unused old oil rigs in the North Sea !!!!!!

G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:50:57 -0000, "G&M" wrote:

When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing it
can influence - the civil service.

When the terrorists make London uninhabitable for 1,000 years....

Hmm - good reason to leave the civil servants there for a while longer. And
the politicians. And ...

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Those that are outsiders, still yearn for where they came from.

********. The thought of going back to live where I was born, or even
brought up, would drive me to suicide.