Andy Hall

Default Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:34:02 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...
"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

I guess you hear what you want to hear.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:23:25 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"al" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave
financial
incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret

was
that
they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding

like
mad.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's

centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment,

but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

It was an overspill for London, but not a commuter town. It has enough
industry of its own and companies are still locating to there. It is no
dormitory city. It is now a city. Well the signs say City Centre
everywhere.

It's a pseudo-city like Reading. The buses and road signs there try
to have you believe that it is. As far as I was aware, that requires a
royal decree and a cathedral, not a vote by a Noolabah local council
exceeding its authority.

What constitutes a city is rather silly. The smallest city in the UK is a
village, because it has a cathedral. Some towns are larger than some
cities, etc. A city should be by size, and size alone. Once the size drops
then it becomes a town. The Queen should have nothing to do with it.
Preston was recently made a city with a population that would have fitted
into the old Odsel rugby stadium.

---

IMM

IMM wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

Has it ever occurred to you that what you hear, especially from
politicaisn, and what is actuyally happening and meant to be happening,
are indeed to distinct and separate things?

Pity they never did a Bumper Book Of How Politicians Work.

I'm sure would have it under your pillow.

---

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:34:02 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...
"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's

regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

I guess you hear what you want to hear.

Andy, you are so funny. LOL.

---

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:18:20 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

[...]

I prefer it to be the traditional way, and certainly not based on what
a town council thinks it might like to do.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:59:23 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

There is no fun living in the middle of nowhere that is certain. There is
lots of fun around me.

Other people having it at your expense?

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Who said a town council decides? A criteria is set once you are within your
are a city, once you are out, you are not. No silly Queen, town council,
government, etc. The existing way is assessment is just plain silly.

---

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:59:23 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

There is no fun living in the middle of nowhere that is certain. There

is
lots of fun around me.

Other people having it at your expense?

Andy, you are so funny. LOL Boiled beef and cabbage, boiled beef and
cabbage,...

---

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:57:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

The way to change matters is to legislate against cars, as Ken is doing,
legislate to drastically improve car efficiency, legislate to improve
insulation and air-tightness standards in homes, legislate to make heating
system more efficient, etc.

Note the word legislate. People will not do it by themselves, as estate
agents will sell them tack. unless oil is hyped by 100% in price. Blair
has a good record on the environment. Low efficient boiler are outlawed
next year.

It's fitting but not surprising that you used the word "legislate"
five times in that post.

History shows that over-legislation either becomes ignored in which
case it's pointless, or has a habit of biting back.

People are most likely to be happy when they are masters of their own
lives, when they are not nannied or over-governed.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
[...]

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on
individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

---

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:46:24 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

This is what Reading, and probably MK have done......

A criteria is set once you are within your
are a city, once you are out, you are not. No silly Queen, town council,
government, etc. The existing way is assessment is just plain silly.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:53:40 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
[...]

I didn't say *no* legislation, I said *over-legislation* especially
when it is done for ulterior motives and political posturing.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:53:40 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
[...]

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

---

Julian Fowler

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:57:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip/

SF is OK if you happen to be gay.

.... or like live music, or great theatre, or restaurants from
countries you'd forgotten existed ...

.... and that's without heading across the Bay Bridge to Berkeley, or
the GG to Marin ...

Otherwise its rather dull IMHO.

You really must have been looking in the wrong places :-)

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:32:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

But should be done in context, with all factors taken into account and
not just based on what produces the maximum media coverage as is done
by Mr. TB and Mr. KL.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Kris

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:17:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I do. I LIKE the middle of nowhere. I KNOWE that I can shut this down,
and **** myself laughing at IMM's stupidity, knowing that he is miles
away in a world of his own, and with luck, will never ever cross my path.

If I lived in london, I might one day actually have to have the

terrifying experience of meeting him in person, or someone like him.

Buy yourself a shotgun....just in case :-)

ATB

Kris

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:32:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

But should be done in context,

?????

with all factors taken into account and
not just based on what produces the
maximum media coverage as is done
by Mr. TB and Mr. KL.

Saving energy is well, saving energy. As far as I am concerned, insulation
levels on homes should be superinsulation, with all new developments being
passive solar. Costs very little indeed to do, with great benefits to the
users and the environment.

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

There is no fun living in the middle of nowhere that is certain. There is
lots of fun around me.

Please keep on topic. We wree discussing driving.

Ther is far more fun to be had driving 'in the middle of nowhere'

---

The Natural Philosopher

"al" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief. My boiler is combi because it has a red pipe coming out if it.

IMM is a dickhead because he wears an anorak.

This is ultimate Noolabah spik. Let's redefine 'supremely intelligent'
as 'any one who votes Noolabah' and let them go to free 'universities'
where they get told how to vote noolabah and how clever they are...

What is wrong with a city the size of a village for gawds sake?

A city is a counrbation WITH a cathedral and some kind of ecclesiastical
status.

Why all this envy and jealousy because your 'town' is not a 'city' that
makes you want to rewrite the english language in order to feel better
and less inadequate?

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

IMM wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
. com...

"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away

from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

Has it ever occurred to you that what you hear, especially from
politicaisn, and what is actuyally happening and meant to be happening,
are indeed to distinct and separate things?

Pity they never did a Bumper Book Of How Politicians Work.

I'm sure would have it under your pillow.

No, thats not what I keep there...

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on
individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

Who? You, or the planet.

We can but pray its you...

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

Is it?

Let's see.

I am PM. I ban all cars for private use. I save LOTS of energy.

I ration fuel to only government vehicles, and council house heating
projects.

I save LOTS MORE ENERGY.

I abolish healthcare and nationalise the mortician industry, using the
resultant nationalised corpses as fuel. I save EVEN MORE ENERGY.

YIPPEE I HAVE SAVED THE PLANET.

You are such a moron IMM, really. Sweeping generalisation is your middle
name.

..

---

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I do. I LIKE the middle of nowhere. I KNOWE that I can shut this down,
and **** myself laughing at IMM's stupidity, knowing that he is miles
away in a world of his own, and with luck, will never ever cross my path.

If I lived in london, I might one day actually have to have the

terrifying experience of meeting him in person, or someone like him.

Buy yourself a shotgun....just in case :-)

Have some already

ATB

Kris

IMM

"al" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Do you know what this is all about?

IMM is a dickhead because he wears an anorak.

I wear suarve clothes and do the tango. Do you wear an Argyle pattern
jumper? Must do.

What is wrong with a city the size of a village for gawds sake?

A city is "big", not small.

A city is a counrbation WITH a cathedral
and some kind of ecclesiastical status.

Silly idea.

Why all this envy and jealousy because your 'town' is not a 'city' that
makes you want to rewrite the english language in order to feel better
and less inadequate?

My town? I don't live in a town. You are odd.

---

IMM

wrote:

I do. I LIKE the middle of nowhere. I KNOWE that I can shut this down,
and **** myself laughing at IMM's stupidity, knowing that he is miles
away in a world of his own, and with luck, will never ever cross my

path.

If I lived in london, I might one day actually have to have the

terrifying experience of meeting him in person, or someone like him.

Buy yourself a shotgun....just in case :-)

Have some already

All guns should be banned.

---

IMM

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

Is it?

Yes

Let's see.

He is now seeing...

snip babble

---

IMM

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on
individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

Who? You, or the planet.

We can but pray its you...

Are you going to be buried in your Argyle pattered jumper?

---

PoP

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:42:37 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Masochist to Sadist: "Hit me! Hit me!"

Sadist: "No!"

Oh no. IMM's not into bondage or anything is he?

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!

PoP

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:54:27 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

Unfortunately being in commuter land houses are expensive. Small 3 bed
semi £200,000 and anything that has any character is a second home.
You'll need £300,000+ for anything decent. Meanwhile there is Grade 3
'agricultural' land all around going to waste.

Hmm, doable. Our current home is retailing in the region of £380,000.
Bought in 1995 for £137,000.

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!
PoP

Miiiaaaaoooowwww......

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!
The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

What is wrong with a city the size of a village for gawds sake?

A city is "big", not small.

No, thats only in your mind. A city is a town with a cathedral. Period.
Or was until some ******* without one called themselves 'cities'

A city is a counrbation WITH a cathedral
and some kind of ecclesiastical status.

Silly idea.

So are you, but hey, you are there for all to laugh at. Wishing silly
things weren't the way they are seldomn makes them dissapear.

Why all this envy and jealousy because your 'town' is not a 'city' that
makes you want to rewrite the english language in order to feel better
and less inadequate?

My town? I don't live in a town. You are odd.

No, you live on the planet zarg. I had forgotten.

---

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I do. I LIKE the middle of nowhere. I KNOWE that I can shut this down,
and **** myself laughing at IMM's stupidity, knowing that he is miles
away in a world of his own, and with luck, will never ever cross my

path.

If I lived in london, I might one day actually have to have the

terrifying experience of meeting him in person, or someone like him.

Buy yourself a shotgun....just in case :-)

Have some already

All guns should be banned.

except from Al qaeda I suppose.
Tosser.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on
individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

Who? You, or the planet.

We can but pray its you...

Are you going to be buried in your Argyle pattered jumper?

Is that kangaroo thats been trodden on by a scotsman?

al

"Julian Fowler" wrote in message
news

... as Mike Harding once said of Brum: "how can a million people all
have a speech impediment?" ;-)

I think it's the water ....

al

"Julian Fowler" wrote in message
On TV yesteday
Milton Keynes was presidted to be larger than Liverpool in 20 years and
larger than Nottingham in about 8.

Its only the 9th of January, and we already have a candidate for "most
depressing post of the year".

I dunno ... I think MK could be fun at 3am on a weekday night with a TVR or
Evo to hand. All those roundabouts for third gear slide outs ..! Mmmmmmm

al

"IMM" wrote in message
It was an overspill for London, but not a commuter town. It has enough
industry of its own and companies are still locating to there. It is no
dormitory city. It is now a city. Well the signs say City Centre
everywhere.

Yeah, but those signs are just a ploy to keep you going around more
roundabouts ....

al

SF is OK if you happen to be gay. Otherwise its rather dull IMHO.

Can't say I agree, that's a little sweeping ....

I enjoy driving too much to give it up. I don't drive out of laziness.

drive for fun when I can.

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

You'd be surprised ... outside of rush hour ...!