IMM

Default Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:53:40 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:57:31 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

The way to change matters is to legislate against cars, as Ken is

doing,
legislate to drastically improve car efficiency, legislate to improve
insulation and air-tightness standards in homes, legislate to make

heating
system more efficient, etc.

Note the word legislate. People will not do it by themselves, as

estate
agents will sell them tack. unless oil is hyped by 100% in price.

Blair
has a good record on the environment. Low efficient boiler are

outlawed
next year.

It's fitting but not surprising that you used the word "legislate"
five times in that post.

History shows that over-legislation either becomes ignored in which
case it's pointless, or has a habit of biting back.

People are most likely to be happy when they are masters of their own
lives, when they are not nannied or over-governed.

When the planet is dying legislation it has to be. If we relied on
individuals doing their own thing we will be extinct in 20 years.

I didn't say *no* legislation, I said *over-legislation* especially
when it is done for ulterior motives and political posturing.

Legislation to save energy, which equates to pollution, is a good thing.

---