The Natural Philosopher

Default Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

IMM wrote:

The worst weather in England I found in East Anglia. Cold and wet and those
winds coming in from Siberia.

Try Manchester then. East anglia has the lowest rainfaill in the UK..and
is the hottest place in summer.

al

IMM wrote:

Glasgow is not a bad town really. Apart from being wet cold dark and
gloomy in winter.

And drunken violent people. Ever see the rubber men of Sochihall St?

But at least they are not as boring as you are.

You know it would be really funny if you two guys were actually one and the
same person with a split personality. Now that would be a case to write a
book about ....

The Natural Philosopher

al wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave

financial

incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was

that

they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding like
mad.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment, but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

Don't think so. LOTS of work around MK.

al

"IMM" wrote in message
And actually have time to get to know your neighbours? - or not, if

you
prefer.

Same here.

nope. Its not.

Yes it is.

Oh no it isn't ....... all together now ..........

*donkey trots by* ....

Actually, hold on, I forgot, I agree with IMM on this bit ... damn ...!

Tony Williams

In article ,
Andrew wrote:

writes
Small post offices have been made so difficult to run
that they have all but disappeared.

We have one, but for how long is an unknown quantity

Use it or lose it.

--
Tony Williams.

Tony Williams

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still running strong here. Now has cash machine and petrol
station as well.

We calculated its cost relative to 'going into town'. At 30p a
mile that is around £6 the trip. 10% uplift on prices means you
have to spend more than 60 quid to make it worthwhile...

And its not teh only one around. Next village buy two has
excellent post pofficfe and general stoires, there is excellent
asian run store in the other direction...

You are lucky..... the villages in rural Herefordshire
have mostly kept their pubs, but petrol stations, post
offices and village shops are very thin on the ground.

--
Tony Williams.
Julian Fowler

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:19:09 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

snip/

On TV yesteday
Milton Keynes was presidted to be larger than Liverpool in 20 years and
larger than Nottingham in about 8.

Its only the 9th of January, and we already have a candidate for "most
depressing post of the year".

--
Julian Fowler
Julian Fowler

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:44:49 -0000, "al"

I wuite LIKE Birmingham actually.

Its places like Hackney and Tottenham that scare the pants off me.

In fairness to the place, it looks a hell of a lot better in the last 5-10
years. I just can't get over the accent though! Sorry .... *ducks once
more* .....

.... as Mike Harding once said of Brum: "how can a million people all
have a speech impediment?" ;-)

--
Julian Fowler
al

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's

centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment,

but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

Don't think so. LOTS of work around MK.

I remember looking for a job there ... while there was much more there than
a lot of other places around, it really wasn't overflowing with the kind of
stuff I was looking for. Maybe it's just me though ....

Neil Jones

"IMM" wrote in message ...
don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Clive Summerfield

"IMM" wrote in message

The problem is that the power base is in the rural south. The Midlands

and
north of England catapulted this world forwards with the industrial
revolution, with the south being mainly rural market towns. They are not
stupid at all and should be allowed to run their own affairs again. The
north allowed the south to gasp power. London is arrogant calling the
counties that border it the "home£" counties, while the others are away

and
don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

You actually believe that the new Regional Assemblies will do anything more
than add a further layer of beaurocracy and expense to areas that can ill
afford it. I'd agree with their introduction only if it were linked to a
reduction in centralised government. We need less government, not more,
especially not of the nannying kind.

Cheers
Clive

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:31:23 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"al" wrote in message

De-restrict planning and redistribute land and the area will prosper.

Rubbish!!

Why not?

Salt Lake City is the most ridiculous
place to put a city. The lake is a
40 mile wide ditch. Some religious freak
said this is where we build because
he was tired of travelling and up came SLC.
The city is the centre and all
revolves around it.

The main rule about all rules is there are always exceptions. I don't

know
enough about SLC to know if there were any other good reasons to settle
there so I can't comment on it specifically. It does not however follow
that because of that if you provide the houses the people will come!

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave financial
incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was that
they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding like
mad.

Kind of like that polyurethane stuff that comes in a can.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:15:42 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

That says it all.... Tony's regional assemblies.......

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

Salt Lake City is the most ridiculous place to put a city. The lake

is
a 40 mile wide ditch. Some religious freak said this is where we

build
because he was tired of travelling and up came SLC. The city is the
centre and all evolves around it.

It does have water

The city is not on the ditch!

however. AND its bang on a big trans-america route.

The communications came because of the town, now city.

No, actually they did not. Read your history.

I spent 6 months there. The locals say it is a silly place to put a

city,
although the Rockies rise at the side of it and there are some ski

resorts
there now.

I know, I went there too, but living with a bunch of weird christians is
not my idea of fun.

They are the most unfriendly Americans I have ever met. Odd people.

Its an established fact that americans don't know anything about their
country anyway, and even less about history and other peoples countries.

I suppose that is why you felt at home there...

Who said I felt at home? I was glad to get out. Snowbird, a ski resort, was
where the put together the TCP/IP protocol. A bunch of mainly student. A
temporary measure.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave

financial
incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was

that
they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding like
mad.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment, but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

It was an overspill for London, but not a commuter town. It has enough
industry of its own and companies are still locating to there. It is no
dormitory city. It is now a city. Well the signs say City Centre
everywhere.

---

IMM

al wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave

financial

incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was
that they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding

like
mad.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's

centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment,

but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

Don't think so. LOTS of work around MK.

A train can take only 40 mins in to London. Abbey National's headquarters
in baker St. They can take the tube a couple of stops to Euston and be in MK
in 40 mins. All the Abbey operation is there. MK does not want to be
regarded as a dormitory city, just a city in its own right. It even has its
own League foooty team too.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message

[...]

LOL. Andy you are so funny.

---

IMM

"Julian Fowler" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:19:09 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

snip/

On TV yesteday
Milton Keynes was presidted to be larger than Liverpool in 20 years and
larger than Nottingham in about 8.

Its only the 9th of January, and we already have a candidate for "most
depressing post of the year".

Nottingham is depressing.

---

IMM

IMM wrote:

The worst weather in England I found in East Anglia. Cold and wet and

those
winds coming in from Siberia.

Try Manchester then. East anglia has the lowest rainfaill in the UK..and
is the hottest place in summer.

In winter it is dire. It amazes me when people refer to the "north" as all
one blob. There is a mountain chain running down the centre splitting it
up. The weather in Newcastle is different to Manchester which is different
to Liverpool. I looked at a weather map and the Merseyside/Deeside area has
the same temperatures as Surrey/Kent.

---

IMM

When you amongst them, you don't hear it.

Ah. Are you referring to the lies promulagted by Nu Laber there, then?

Have you missed the appointment for the clinic again?

---

IMM

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

---

IMM

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

The problem is that the power base is in the rural south. The Midlands

and
north of England catapulted this world forwards with the industrial
revolution, with the south being mainly rural market towns. They are

not
stupid at all and should be allowed to run their own affairs again. The
north allowed the south to gasp power. London is arrogant calling the
counties that border it the "home£" counties, while the others are away

and
don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

You actually believe that the new Regional Assemblies will do anything

more
than add a further layer of beaurocracy

They are stripping away exiting fragmented tiers and putting in one proper
one. Central government will give powers to them.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message

But at least they are not as boring as you are.

You know it would be really funny if you two guys were actually one and

the
same person with a split personality. Now that would be a case to write a
book about ....

Our snotty uni man is odd. You have a point.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message

Alternate extremes, but mostly just one extreme.

Me too ... but the opposite way around

If you REALLY want to see what life is all about, take a trip to the
African bush. Its amazing what you DON'T need, and even more amazing hen
you discover what is left of yourself when totally divorced from 'modern
society'

Mind blowing.

Haven't been there,

I have. Brilliant.

but I know I would love that sort of thing - for a
holiday. Don't think I'd want to live it all the time.
But then, people's
values change with age - perhaps I'd want to retire there!

With all those flies too.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

PARIS!?!?!!! You've got to be joking!
Pretty yes - friendly no!

I spent the best part of 5 years living between Paris and London. Paris
beats London by a mile. Food is cheap and "very" good.

OK, food is good too. But it is NOT foreigner freindly. A very arrogant
city.

Away from the tourist spots and the people are friendly. Get into or out of
a lift and they hello. No stranger ever did that to me in London.

I like his war on drivers. London is choking under cars. Something has

be done.

Yes, something does. But look at the demographic of the people driving on
the roads and clogging them up. SCHOOL RUNS ... grrrr ... there, I said

it.
What the hell happened to walking or school buses! Now I'm going to stop
before I get really angry!

Oh .. and city tosspots who don't even notice the congestion charge as

they
cruise by in their 3.0 exec saloon ...

Paris is subsidised. London get little. Thatcher neglected the system

so
much it will take 10 years to get it back to the way it was and another

10
to try and keep up. A lose, lose situation.

I really have no answers for what to do in London or Britain in general

with
trains and tubes. The damage of the last 25 years is beyond belief. But
*something* needs to be done. It's embarrasing!

What ****es me off is that these brainwashed people who live in villages
voted that Tory bunch in who ruined it all.

---

IMM

Foirst off, cows are not noted for their building skills, and secondly,
why waste good land turning it into suburbia?

People have to live somewhere, so those subsidised field are good start.

And when you open the windows? To let the birdsong in?

I hear the water of the fountain.

Well ist about time you attended to it then,
as it must be costing you a
fortune as well as being completely ecoloficaly
unsound. Wasting all that water.

The same water is pumped around and a man maintains it.

---

IMM

al wrote:

Yes, but on the tube counts as London, if not central. I'm just saying

you
don't have to live in the middle of nowhere to find a good place to

settle.

I do. I LIKE the middle of nowhere. I KNOWE that I can shut this down,
and **** myself laughing at IMM's stupidity, knowing that he is miles
away in a world of his own, and with luck, will never ever cross my path.

If I lived in london, I might one day actually have to have the

terrifying experience of meeting him in person, or someone like him.

I don't always live in London. I am glad you in the middle of nowhere.
That is good for society.

---

IMM

"al" wrote in message
news

"IMM" wrote in message

Get out your car and stop polluting. use public transport. I can't

stand
polluting whingers like you who think they have to go everywhere in

their
cars. Ken is right. Just about every major city in the world is

thinking
of copying Ken.

No, I don't think I have to go everywhere by car. I take the tube always
for work or getting to the city for shopping, etc. However I do drive to
the local shops (ie. Safeways, DIY sheds, etc.) and out to lots of

different
places at the weekends to find new things to do. And as I've said before,
driving is a passion with me, not a lazy way of getting around. I drive
very safely, but not in such a manner as some more timid people would be
happy with when I find some nice twisty roads.

You'll get me out of a car about as soon as a sky-diver out of a

parachute.
It's nothing to do with pollution. I don't sit in traffic jams every day

go 2 miles down the road and sit spewing out fumes for the fun of it.

BTW ... if you really want to help world pollution, perhaps you could
campaign about just about the only thing that will make a major difference
to the world right now - changing US policy on the environment and getting
rid of pandering puppet PM's like Blair who live up US president's arses.

The way to change matters is to legislate against cars, as Ken is doing,
legislate to drastically improve car efficiency, legislate to improve
insulation and air-tightness standards in homes, legislate to make heating
system more efficient, etc.

Note the word legislate. People will not do it by themselves, as estate
agents will sell them tack. unless oil is hyped by 100% in price. Blair
has a good record on the environment. Low efficient boiler are outlawed
next year.

---

The Natural Philosopher

al wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

So true. I know many well priced restaurants in London, but you have to

know

where they are.

Yikes ... I'm agreeing with IMM now ... ;P

Paris is a much nicer people friendly city than London. Berlin, SF all

have

something London just lacks.

PARIS!?!?!!! You've got to be joking! Pretty yes - friendly no! Berlin
has incredible architecture. SF is a great great place - almost seems to
layed back to be called a city. But I couldn't live in the USA (SF is about
the best choice though!).

SF is OK if you happen to be gay. Otherwise its rather dull IMHO.

If you want your small town car driving, go to a small town.

I enjoy driving too much to give it up. I don't drive out of laziness. I
drive for fun when I can.

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

The Natural Philosopher

al wrote:

Oh .. and city tosspots who don't even notice the congestion charge as they
cruise by in their 3.0 exec saloon ...

4 liter please. :-)

IMM

Indeed, but there is precious little fun to be had anymore.

There is no fun living in the middle of nowhere that is certain. There is
lots of fun around me.

---

The Natural Philosopher

al wrote:

Really? Coming from you that is....hypocritical beyond belief...

You will be voting Liberal next!

And when have I resorted to slagging off people?

Pretty much every post...

I have my own opinions,
sometimes strong, but I accept other people have their own and it's just as
valid for them.

No, you don't.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , IMM
wrote:

I have herbs shops nearby.

NOW all becomes clear. :-)

The Natural Philosopher

Tony Williams wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Still running strong here. Now has cash machine and petrol
station as well.

We calculated its cost relative to 'going into town'. At 30p a
mile that is around £6 the trip. 10% uplift on prices means you
have to spend more than 60 quid to make it worthwhile...

And its not teh only one around. Next village buy two has
excellent post pofficfe and general stoires, there is excellent
asian run store in the other direction...

You are lucky..... the villages in rural Herefordshire
have mostly kept their pubs, but petrol stations, post
offices and village shops are very thin on the ground.

The mistake is, to think you have to compete with the supermarkets.

Jack the prices up and point out that yes, your petrol is 5p more
expensive, but how much does it cost to drive 15 miles to tank up?

Same with all teh other stuff. Our shop also does local vegetables and
quite decent fruit. It even - and how they got this one worked out i
don't know - does tablet salt for water softeners. Ok its 70p more than
driving a 20 mile round trip...

The Natural Philosopher

Neil Jones wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message ...

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Indeed. Brussles and the EU is there to take power away from central
government.

Sadly, so far its taken away all teh stupid things instead of
concentrating on the real issues.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:20:16 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Who said I felt at home? I was glad to get out. Snowbird, a ski resort, was
where the put together the TCP/IP protocol. A bunch of mainly student. A
temporary measure.

So why did they need an HVAC and plumbing professional for this?
Were you fixing the heat pumps?

Generally in networking, "flushing circuits" has a rather different
meaning to the one with which you would be familiar......

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

IMM wrote:

The worst weather in England I found in East Anglia. Cold and wet and

those

winds coming in from Siberia.

Try Manchester then. East anglia has the lowest rainfaill in the UK..and
is the hottest place in summer.

In winter it is dire. It amazes me when people refer to the "north" as all
one blob. There is a mountain chain running down the centre splitting it
up. The weather in Newcastle is different to Manchester which is different
to Liverpool. I looked at a weather map and the Merseyside/Deeside area has
the same temperatures as Surrey/Kent.

Indeed. West of the pennines it RAINS whgen east of the pennines it is
just dull.

Expet when you get an easterly, then the east of england catches the
snow badly :-)

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power,
politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional
assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away
from local councils, not central government.

Not what I heard.

Has it ever occurred to you that what you hear, especially from
politicaisn, and what is actuyally happening and meant to be happening,
are indeed to distinct and separate things?

Pity they never did a Bumper Book Of How Politicians Work.

You COULD read 'Animal Fram' or '1984' or Macchiavelli of course, but
they have rather big words in them.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:23:25 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"al" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave

financial
incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was

that
they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding like
mad.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's centre
can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment, but
the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.

It was an overspill for London, but not a commuter town. It has enough
industry of its own and companies are still locating to there. It is no
dormitory city. It is now a city. Well the signs say City Centre
everywhere.

It's a pseudo-city like Reading. The buses and road signs there try
to have you believe that it is. As far as I was aware, that requires a
royal decree and a cathedral, not a vote by a Noolabah local council
exceeding its authority.

---