Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help finding the ceiling joists.

Hi,

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 23:07, wrote:
Hi,

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Thin strips of metal or thin strips of wood? What is the age of the
property? If 50 +years old it is probably lath and plaster

https://photo.mybuilder.com/2_thumb/...4e98d3bf17.jpg

If lath and plaster the wooden strips (laths) will be nailed at each
joist so the nails can be found with a metal detector.

Although not the cheapest, I recommend a Zircon M40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmAME_Vw_E

That Youtube video also includes a demonstration about finding
the nails in lath and plaster

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some of the office to living conversions seem to leave the old office
ceilings with metal strips between rectangular pieces of plasterboard or
similar and simply plaster over them to make it level. I call it a bodge
but there may well be wiring in the suspended part and its probably the
cheapest way, till that is you need to find something really solid to screw
to!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 2016-09-10 23:07,
wrote:
Hi,

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique
and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really
thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got
any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Maybe not terrible helpful, but you can use magnets to find the metal
strips.

And if it's thin strips of metal, there probably are no actual joists (in
a suspended ceiling).

2p.

Strengthening ceiling joists [email protected] UK diy 18 October 25th 12 10:03 AM
Where are my ceiling joists and noggins? myheadisonbackwards UK diy 9 February 18th 07 05:09 PM
Finding joists pebe UK diy 10 February 2nd 07 07:00 PM
Finding Joists Through Hardwood - Stud Sensor? [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 14th 06 04:24 PM
Staining from ceiling joists Harvey Van Sickle UK diy 4 January 17th 05 02:51 PM