Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Help finding the ceiling joists.

Some of the office to living conversions seem to leave the old office
ceilings with metal strips between rectangular pieces of plasterboard or
similar and simply plaster over them to make it level. I call it a bodge
but there may well be wiring in the suspended part and its probably the
cheapest way, till that is you need to find something really solid to screw
to!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
On 2016-09-10 23:07,
wrote:
Hi,

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique
and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really
thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got
any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Maybe not terrible helpful, but you can use magnets to find the metal
strips.

And if it's thin strips of metal, there probably are no actual joists (in
a suspended ceiling).

2p.