Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help finding the ceiling joists.

wrote:

I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought
was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running
the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I
can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

It could be that your ceiling is suspended from "Resilient Bars" for
noise reduction from the room above, e.g. the joists run E-W, then the
bars are run N-S from those, and the plasterboard screwed to the bars
instead of the joists.

http://www.siginsulation.co.uk/show_prod.asp?ProdID=2809&CatID=21&SubCatID=86