Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding Joists Through Hardwood - Stud Sensor?

I'm recarpeting the living room soon and want to eliminate all of the
squeaks in the floor. I've got 5/8 or 3/4 hardwood over 1X6's diagonal
to the joists. The hardwood is in pretty bad shape and I never plan on
refinishing it, so my plan is to just drive screws through it to the
joists.

My basement is finished with 12 X 12 interlocking acoustic tiles,
stapled to furring strips - not a fun thing to remove to get a look at
the joist locations.

Is there a stud sensor out there that could find the joists from above?
The zircon website says up to 1.5" deep, but I'm close if not over
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

wrote in message
ups.com...

Is there a stud sensor out there that could find the joists from above?
The zircon website says up to 1.5" deep, but I'm close if not over
that.

I suspect they are referring to 1.5" of drywall, not 1.5" of solid wood. I
would think that all you have to do, is find one stud from below, drill a
hole up through the floor next to it, and then just measure from that hole,
the distance the joists are apart to find the rest. Find them at the walls
and use a chalk line to mark them across the floor.
Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Their website does refer to solid wood.

http://zircon.com/SellPages/TipsHint...eakyFloor.html

I discovered in the kitchen that my joists are not exactly on 16"
centers - some 15, some 17. I missed many times with the measurement
method in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just fire away, possibly with drill before driver, for each screw,
locating where you guesstimate there's framing below. If you miss, try
again nearby. Any problem with a few "spare" holes in your new hardwood
subfloor? Didn't think so.

Of course, there are simple strategies to reduce misses, if it matters.
E.g. locating approximate joist center at each extreme of floor area,
than marking line between pair of points for rest of holes to joist.

I assume you mean "real" screws, not crappy brittle drywall screws.
Like, deck screws.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the info. I need a new sensor anyway - my old one is very
tempermental. I'll make sure I get one of the deep scan models.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

Make sure you use screws that DO NOT have threads that go to
the head. You need to have plain shank so they draw down the
flooring and not keep it suspended.

Frank

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm recarpeting the living room soon and want to eliminate
all of the
squeaks in the floor. I've got 5/8 or 3/4 hardwood over
1X6's diagonal
to the joists. The hardwood is in pretty bad shape and I
never plan on
refinishing it, so my plan is to just drive screws through
it to the
joists.

My basement is finished with 12 X 12 interlocking acoustic
tiles,
stapled to furring strips - not a fun thing to remove to
get a look at
the joist locations.

Is there a stud sensor out there that could find the
joists from above?
The zircon website says up to 1.5" deep, but I'm close if
not over
that.

Brother MFC-890 and "PLS OPEN COVER" Sandy Electronics Repair 6 December 6th 05 05:11 AM
PIR Sensor and CH flue nazn UK diy 8 September 13th 05 11:29 PM
Kenmore (Roper) repeated F2 code John Parker Home Repair 1 August 12th 05 04:10 AM
I lost my stud finder John Harlow Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 04:41 PM
Bosch LH-Jetronic air mass sensor (Saab 9000) Vesku Electronics Repair 3 September 6th 03 05:24 PM