Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

Default Finding Joists Through Hardwood - Stud Sensor?

Make sure you use screws that DO NOT have threads that go to
the head. You need to have plain shank so they draw down the
flooring and not keep it suspended.

Frank

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm recarpeting the living room soon and want to eliminate
all of the
squeaks in the floor. I've got 5/8 or 3/4 hardwood over
1X6's diagonal
to the joists. The hardwood is in pretty bad shape and I
never plan on
refinishing it, so my plan is to just drive screws through
it to the
joists.

My basement is finished with 12 X 12 interlocking acoustic
tiles,
stapled to furring strips - not a fun thing to remove to
get a look at
the joist locations.

Is there a stud sensor out there that could find the
joists from above?
The zircon website says up to 1.5" deep, but I'm close if
not over
that.