Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding Joists Through Hardwood - Stud Sensor?

I'm recarpeting the living room soon and want to eliminate all of the
squeaks in the floor. I've got 5/8 or 3/4 hardwood over 1X6's diagonal
to the joists. The hardwood is in pretty bad shape and I never plan on
refinishing it, so my plan is to just drive screws through it to the
joists.

My basement is finished with 12 X 12 interlocking acoustic tiles,
stapled to furring strips - not a fun thing to remove to get a look at
the joist locations.

Is there a stud sensor out there that could find the joists from above?
The zircon website says up to 1.5" deep, but I'm close if not over
that.