Member

Default Finding joists

I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result?

metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result?

metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?

you asking me or the OP ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where
the nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the
bottom rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an
angle from just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end
result?

metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?

That's certainly the easiest way. You'll then see where the nails are in the
floorboards.

Alternatively, use the stud finder on the ceiling below and do some careful
measuring to transfer the joist position information upstairs.

Your screwheads will need to go right down hard onto the bottom frame member
to do any good - so you'll be screwing blind once you've gone through the
plasterboard.

Incidentally, your squeaking floor is more likely to be floorboards moving
on the joists than the stud wall moving - so you'll probably end up lifting
the carpet, anyway.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result?
metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?

you asking me or the OP ?

No, specifically you. Why don't you go and lift your carpet right now?
You probably don't have anything better to do
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Noble
.. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result?

metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?
It looks like I will have to lift the carpet. I didn't want to because it's in the hall and there are four doors with thresholds to deal with. I doubt I'll get it back as it was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result? metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?

you asking me or the OP ?

No, specifically you. Why don't you go and lift your carpet right now?
You probably don't have anything better to do

you're a dozy ****, aren't you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pebe wrote:
Stuart Noble Wrote:

-

Why not lift the carpet?

It looks like I will have to lift the carpet. I didn't want to because
it's in the hall and there are four doors with thresholds to deal with.
I doubt I'll get it back as it was.

Not usually difficult if it has gripperrods. You just have to tuck the
edges back down with a paint scraper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result? metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?
you asking me or the OP ?

No, specifically you. Why don't you go and lift your carpet right now?
You probably don't have anything better to do

you're a dozy ****, aren't you ?

And this from a man calling himself dot

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
. wrote:
pebe wrote:
I have a problem with a squeaking floor. It happens at the base of a
studded partition along its whole length, and I think it is where the
nails have worked loose. I am considering drilling through the bottom
rail of the partition into the floor board and joist, at an angle from
just above the skirting board and screwing.

So I am trying to locate the positions of joists under a carpeted
floor. I have a stud finder which does a good job for walls but
doesn't seem sensitive enough to operate through carpets. Can anyone
suggest a suitable one, or a better method of achieving the end result? metal detector

Why not lift the carpet?
you asking me or the OP ?

No, specifically you. Why don't you go and lift your carpet right now?
You probably don't have anything better to do

you're a dozy ****, aren't you ?

And this from a man calling himself dot

I don't call myself anything you daft git.

that's the whole point.

the . geddit ?

joists mmzz UK diy 7 August 30th 06 08:47 PM
Finding Joists Through Hardwood - Stud Sensor? [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 14th 06 04:24 PM
Stiffening Joists [email protected] UK diy 23 November 16th 05 01:35 PM
How to replace two joists? [email protected] UK diy 7 December 6th 04 09:02 PM
Joists. Michael McNeil UK diy 4 February 29th 04 07:28 AM