Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Help finding the ceiling joists.

On 10/09/2016 23:07, wrote:
Hi,

I've a similar problem... I tried the multiple drill hole technique and found what I thought was a joist, but it seems to be a really thin strip of metal running the length of the ceiling. Has anyone got any thoughts this as I can't find wood? Only these metal strips...

Cheers

Thin strips of metal or thin strips of wood? What is the age of the
property? If 50 +years old it is probably lath and plaster

https://photo.mybuilder.com/2_thumb/...4e98d3bf17.jpg

If lath and plaster the wooden strips (laths) will be nailed at each
joist so the nails can be found with a metal detector.

Although not the cheapest, I recommend a Zircon M40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmAME_Vw_E

That Youtube video also includes a demonstration about finding
the nails in lath and plaster