Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

FFS. All he had to do was to get from Dartford to Heathrow.

Tracker showed him using the Blackwall tunnel and then the Vauxhall bridge -
last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2 hours
earlier.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Years ago I was trying to get from Oxford to somewhere near Greenwich by
car, for work. I wondered about going the long way round via the M25, and
then working my way westwards into Greenwich after crossing the QE2 bridge,
but decided to go the direct way: M40,
Marylebone/Euston/Pentonville/City/Great Eastern/Commercial/Mansell
Roads/Streets (ie A501 and A1202), to cross Tower Bridge and then head
eastwards along the A200 towards Deptford and Greenwich. It was after rush
hour so traffic shouldn't be *too* bad.

Everything went well until I got near Tower Bridge, then the roads were
jammed solid. It took as long to cover the last few miles from there to
Greenwich as it had done from Oxford to Tower Bridge, and I began to wonder
whether I should have gone the long way round.

This was in the days before satnav (probably about 2001), so I wrote myself
a set of turn-by-turn instructions. It was also before the Congestion Charge
so I didn't need to find a route that kept outside the Zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

If you approach Vauxhall Bridge from the NE of the river then yes.

When I was working in Lambeth I used to use it on the way in. It is the
boundary to the CC.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

Most SatNavs seem to know about that and avoid it, by taking a
cicuitous route around the edge of it.

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 18:27, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I've taken an hour an a half to get from the A3 junction to Heathrow

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Yes he was using a SatNav - his IPhone. And it's a journey he has dome 3
times - twice as a passenger, once as a driver (with me in the passenger
seat because I had a hangover).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Any half decent satnav allows you to choose shortest or quickest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way,
especially if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

It should give you the choice.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol Wrote in message:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.

I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 18:27, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I've taken an hour an a half to get from the A3 junction to Heathrow

me too

In fact it was an hour and half from the A3 to the M3

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?

I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the parts of
London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the route when I'm
getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic jams update can be
very useful.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route.

Only if you set them to do that. Mine is set for fastest and will
readjust the route as I go if there are any delays ahead and a faster
route is possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?

I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the parts of
London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the route when I'm
getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic jams update can be
very useful.

Well no :-)

thought we were talking the Apprentice going from Dartford to
Heathrow, with the suggestion that his satnav might have directed
him through London.

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?

I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the parts of
London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the route when I'm
getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic jams update can be
very useful.

Well no :-)

thought we were talking the Apprentice going from Dartford to
Heathrow, with the suggestion that his satnav might have directed
him through London.

One problem with satnavs in densely populated areas with multiple lanes
springing off left right and centre, is that while concentrating on the
satnav (and stressed...) it's easy to approach junctions at the sort of
speed that makes missing the correct lane and future turnings a certainty.

Then ye miss the turn, wind up on a long one-way street, and the machine
recalculates a new route which maybe optimal to resolve the cockup by a
U-turn, but not necessarily the best now to get to your destination.

At that point I stop, cry, and put the destination address in again.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

--

Jeff

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Chris French wrote:
[...]

Yeah :-) though lane assist helps as it indicates in advance what
lane I need to be in.

Then ye miss the turn, wind up on a long one-way street, and the machine
recalculates a new route which maybe optimal to resolve the cockup by a
U-turn, but not necessarily the best now to get to your destination.

At that point I stop, cry, and put the destination address in again.

My old satnav used to insist on doing a u turn, Google maps seems
to offer sensible new route suggestions

I like to play games with Google maps on my smart phone. There are several
local routes I can knock 5 minutes off the journey by using different roads
to their suggested routes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2016 20:39, ARW wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.

I wonder if the cameras are programmed to spot apprentices going over
the bridge into the river?

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

It doesn't seem to bother all the guys around here who drive vans
registered in Lithuania; or Poland; or Estonia; or...
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shortest can give you nice little scenic roads, although often it gives you farm tracks with locked gates.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:53:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Most satnavs have choices though shortest or fastest.
Not always the same thing at all even if using public transport or feet.
Brian

--
Paddy takes his new wife to bed on their wedding night.
She undresses, lies on the bed spread-eagled and says
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 20:39:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

Rotating reg numbers like James Bond has?

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 20:38:22 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.

TomTom charged me £60 to update the maps. I'm not buying a Tomtom again.

--
Gary's weather forecasting stone:
Stone is wet Rain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My old TomTom takes about 10 seconds to recalculate if I've gone wrong, at which point it says I should turn into the road I just passed, then recalculates again, so I have to stop and **** off everyone behind me to let it work out something ahead of me.

--
If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
[...]

Until the council redesigns the junctions yet again.

Then ye miss the turn, wind up on a long one-way street, and the machine
recalculates a new route which maybe optimal to resolve the cockup by a
U-turn, but not necessarily the best now to get to your destination.

At that point I stop, cry, and put the destination address in again.

My old satnav used to insist on doing a u turn, Google maps seems
to offer sensible new route suggestions

I get "when possible, turn back...." and it does point out places where it's easy to turn, or even a small loop through a residential area.

--
Found in a fortune cookie:
"You are a poor, pathetic, gullible fool who seeks advice from bakery products."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?

I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the
parts of London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the
route when I'm getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic
jams update can be very useful.

Well no :-)

thought we were talking the Apprentice going from Dartford to
Heathrow, with the suggestion that his satnav might have directed
him through London.

Mine certainly would. The M25 route is a great deal longer - and not
always the fastest either. As anyone who's been stuck on it will know.

But given the standard of some of Adam's apprentices, might not be capable
of following a satnav anyway. And if take a wrong turn just carry on
thinking it will update and not make much difference.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 07/06/2016 20:39, ARW wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.

I wonder if the cameras are programmed to spot apprentices going over
the bridge into the river?

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

It doesn't seem to bother all the guys around here who drive vans
registered in Lithuania; or Poland; or Estonia; or...

Don't know about van costs, but the diversion to avoid paying the charge
might well cost more in time and fuel - depending on where you're going to.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Robin wrote:
On 07/06/2016 20:39, ARW wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.

I wonder if the cameras are programmed to spot apprentices going over
the bridge into the river?

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

It doesn't seem to bother all the guys around here who drive vans
registered in Lithuania; or Poland; or Estonia; or...

Don't know about van costs, but the diversion to avoid paying the charge
might well cost more in time and fuel - depending on where you're going
to.

Trouble is we are going to Dartford - cross over the bridge take the 1st
exit left and then left again follow the road for one mile and you are
there.

At least the M6 toll classes my Combo as a car derived van.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Chris French wrote:
[...]

Like many young people of today they have no geographical knowledge what
city they are in or of the major road network in the UK - so all they do IS
follow a satnav.

I am not expecting them to know if Doncaster is North or South of
Manchester - but I would expect them to know which is most Easterly.

Here is a good example of what I have to put up with.

Take a new estate and not showing on Google maps. You give them a reference
from what should be a known staring point to that estate.

"Get yourself to that school in Auckley where we fitted the Christmas tree
lights on the tree opposite the school next to the main road"
"I cannot remember that"
"The one where you fell off the A frames and landed in that pile of dog
****"
"Oh yes - how do you get to the school?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 07/06/2016 20:39, ARW wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.

I wonder if the cameras are programmed to spot apprentices going over
the bridge into the river?

It's time to **** off the Dartford crossing toll.

It doesn't seem to bother all the guys around here who drive vans
registered in Lithuania; or Poland; or Estonia; or...

Don't know about van costs, but the diversion to avoid paying the charge
might well cost more in time and fuel - depending on where you're going
to.

Trouble is we are going to Dartford - cross over the bridge take the 1st
exit left and then left again follow the road for one mile and you are
there.

the toll is for the use of the bridge(/tunnel) not for the 20 miles of
motorway either side

if you don't like paying the toll just to go 100 yards the other side, park
up before the bridge and use the free bicycle transfer (not forgetting that
you actually need to have a bicycle with you)

tim

At least the M6 toll classes my Combo as a car derived van.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
Like many young people of today they have no geographical knowledge what
city they are in or of the major road network in the UK - so all they do
IS follow a satnav.

I am not expecting them to know if Doncaster is North or South of
Manchester - but I would expect them to know which is most Easterly.

Here is a good example of what I have to put up with.

Take a new estate and not showing on Google maps. You give them a
reference from what should be a known staring point to that estate.

"Get yourself to that school in Auckley where we fitted the Christmas tree
lights on the tree opposite the school next to the main road"
"I cannot remember that"
"The one where you fell off the A frames and landed in that pile of dog
****"
"Oh yes - how do you get to the school?"

Did he navigate to the school on the previous occasion? Did he drive and
have to follow road signs. If not to both, then I wouldn't expect him to
have been paying much attention to the exact route that you took, and maybe
not even to approximately where the school was (eg N, S, E or W of where you
started from - he placed all the responsibility for getting there on whoever
was driving.

However I'd expect if you gave him a postcode and an online map to show
where that postcode is, he should be able to use the map to work out a route
there, as a backup in case the satnav failed.

I use satnav for turn-by-turn directions to a place I've never been to
before, but I always look it up on the map first of all, and even look for
the exact house on Streetview, and work out how I'll get there. I use the
satnav so I don't have to memorise (or write down and try to glance at as
I'm driving) the exact turns, safe in the knowledge that it the satnav fails
I know roughly where I'll be going so I can try and match landmarks against
an OS map (*) if I need to do it manually, having stopped to look at the
map.

(*) I have Viewranger on my phone which has offline copies of all the UK
1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps. Normally it shows on the map where I am, but if
the GPS fails I can still use it as if it was a paper map with no "you are
here" crosshairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
[...]

Depends on where you are. I missed a turn in deep country the other day,
turning round would have been good but GM sent me several miles back to
the main road and then all the way back again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Robin wrote:
On 07/06/2016 20:39, ARW wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

And the ladders, tools and equipment for the job I am going to?

How do they get there?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"NY" wrote in message
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

A school that is in a village not far from where he has spent the last 19
years living should be good enough.

A school that he has worked at on more than one occassion.

The first and only time he has set up outside public Christmas Tree lights
and then he passed them every day for at least a week when they were
switched on whilst travelling to another local job.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 19:49, NY wrote:

I use satnav for turn-by-turn directions to a place I've never been to
before, but I always look it up on the map first of all, and even look
for the exact house on Streetview, and work out how I'll get there. I
use the satnav so I don't have to memorise (or write down and try to
glance at as I'm driving) the exact turns, safe in the knowledge that it
the satnav fails I know roughly where I'll be going so I can try and
match landmarks against an OS map (*) if I need to do it manually,
having stopped to look at the map.

You got a huge benefit from having a satnav today with all the floods.
It still took 2 hours o do a normally 35 min trip but others doing the
same were still out there after 3.5 hours.
It took some really out of the way routes but the tomtom live map was
red everywhere.
Maps are of no use whatsoever in those conditions.

OT The apprentice in London ARW UK diy 62 January 26th 14 12:45 PM
New Apprentice ARW UK diy 4 October 25th 12 08:54 AM
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, LaptopRepairing Service London [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 07:38 AM
TV lost picture then lost sound.. Jason Electronics Repair 2 May 16th 04 02:42 PM