Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris French wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Chris French wrote:
I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?

I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the
parts of London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the
route when I'm getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic
jams update can be very useful.

Well no :-)

thought we were talking the Apprentice going from Dartford to
Heathrow, with the suggestion that his satnav might have directed
him through London.

Mine certainly would. The M25 route is a great deal longer - and not
always the fastest either. As anyone who's been stuck on it will know.

But given the standard of some of Adam's apprentices, might not be capable
of following a satnav anyway. And if take a wrong turn just carry on
thinking it will update and not make much difference.

Like many young people of today they have no geographical knowledge what
city they are in or of the major road network in the UK - so all they do IS
follow a satnav.

I am not expecting them to know if Doncaster is North or South of
Manchester - but I would expect them to know which is most Easterly.

Here is a good example of what I have to put up with.

Take a new estate and not showing on Google maps. You give them a reference
from what should be a known staring point to that estate.

"Get yourself to that school in Auckley where we fitted the Christmas tree
lights on the tree opposite the school next to the main road"
"I cannot remember that"
"The one where you fell off the A frames and landed in that pile of dog
****"
"Oh yes - how do you get to the school?"

--
Adam