Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

On 08/06/2016 19:49, NY wrote:

I use satnav for turn-by-turn directions to a place I've never been to
before, but I always look it up on the map first of all, and even look
for the exact house on Streetview, and work out how I'll get there. I
use the satnav so I don't have to memorise (or write down and try to
glance at as I'm driving) the exact turns, safe in the knowledge that it
the satnav fails I know roughly where I'll be going so I can try and
match landmarks against an OS map (*) if I need to do it manually,
having stopped to look at the map.

You got a huge benefit from having a satnav today with all the floods.
It still took 2 hours o do a normally 35 min trip but others doing the
same were still out there after 3.5 hours.
It took some really out of the way routes but the tomtom live map was
red everywhere.
Maps are of no use whatsoever in those conditions.