Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Years ago I was trying to get from Oxford to somewhere near Greenwich by
car, for work. I wondered about going the long way round via the M25, and
then working my way westwards into Greenwich after crossing the QE2 bridge,
but decided to go the direct way: M40,
Marylebone/Euston/Pentonville/City/Great Eastern/Commercial/Mansell
Roads/Streets (ie A501 and A1202), to cross Tower Bridge and then head
eastwards along the A200 towards Deptford and Greenwich. It was after rush
hour so traffic shouldn't be *too* bad.

Everything went well until I got near Tower Bridge, then the roads were
jammed solid. It took as long to cover the last few miles from there to
Greenwich as it had done from Oxford to Tower Bridge, and I began to wonder
whether I should have gone the long way round.

This was in the days before satnav (probably about 2001), so I wrote myself
a set of turn-by-turn instructions. It was also before the Congestion Charge
so I didn't need to find a route that kept outside the Zone.