Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

"NY" wrote in message
"ARW" wrote in message
Like many young people of today they have no geographical knowledge what
city they are in or of the major road network in the UK - so all they do
IS follow a satnav.

I am not expecting them to know if Doncaster is North or South of
Manchester - but I would expect them to know which is most Easterly.

Here is a good example of what I have to put up with.

Take a new estate and not showing on Google maps. You give them a
reference from what should be a known staring point to that estate.

"Get yourself to that school in Auckley where we fitted the Christmas
tree lights on the tree opposite the school next to the main road"
"I cannot remember that"
"The one where you fell off the A frames and landed in that pile of dog
****"
"Oh yes - how do you get to the school?"

Did he navigate to the school on the previous occasion? Did he drive and
have to follow road signs. If not to both, then I wouldn't expect him to
have been paying much attention to the exact route that you took, and
maybe not even to approximately where the school was (eg N, S, E or W of
where you started from - he placed all the responsibility for getting
there on whoever was driving.

A school that is in a village not far from where he has spent the last 19
years living should be good enough.

A school that he has worked at on more than one occassion.

The first and only time he has set up outside public Christmas Tree lights
and then he passed them every day for at least a week when they were
switched on whilst travelling to another local job.

--
Adam