Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice lost in London

FFS. All he had to do was to get from Dartford to Heathrow.

Tracker showed him using the Blackwall tunnel and then the Vauxhall bridge -
last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2 hours
earlier.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

If you approach Vauxhall Bridge from the NE of the river then yes.

When I was working in Lambeth I used to use it on the way in. It is the
boundary to the CC.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

Most SatNavs seem to know about that and avoid it, by taking a
cicuitous route around the edge of it.

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way,
especially if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

It should give you the choice.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?

--

Jeff

The Dartford Crossing uses the same ANPR enforcement.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shortest can give you nice little scenic roads, although often it gives you farm tracks with locked gates.

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:53:02 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Most satnavs have choices though shortest or fastest.
Not always the same thing at all even if using public transport or feet.
Brian

--
Paddy takes his new wife to bed on their wedding night.
She undresses, lies on the bed spread-eagled and says
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Years ago I was trying to get from Oxford to somewhere near Greenwich by
car, for work. I wondered about going the long way round via the M25, and
then working my way westwards into Greenwich after crossing the QE2 bridge,
but decided to go the direct way: M40,
Marylebone/Euston/Pentonville/City/Great Eastern/Commercial/Mansell
Roads/Streets (ie A501 and A1202), to cross Tower Bridge and then head
eastwards along the A200 towards Deptford and Greenwich. It was after rush
hour so traffic shouldn't be *too* bad.

Everything went well until I got near Tower Bridge, then the roads were
jammed solid. It took as long to cover the last few miles from there to
Greenwich as it had done from Oxford to Tower Bridge, and I began to wonder
whether I should have gone the long way round.

This was in the days before satnav (probably about 2001), so I wrote myself
a set of turn-by-turn instructions. It was also before the Congestion Charge
so I didn't need to find a route that kept outside the Zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Yes he was using a SatNav - his IPhone. And it's a journey he has dome 3
times - twice as a passenger, once as a driver (with me in the passenger
seat because I had a hangover).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol Wrote in message:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.

I don't think I've ever had my satnav (nowadays Google maps on my
phone) direct me through London as opposed to round as the
default route.
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 20:38:22 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the
Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or
her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main
routes. It's also much easier to read.

TomTom charged me £60 to update the maps. I'm not buying a Tomtom again.

--
Gary's weather forecasting stone:
Stone is wet Rain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially
if blindly following a satnav.

Any half decent satnav allows you to choose shortest or quickest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest
route.

Only if you set them to do that. Mine is set for fastest and will
readjust the route as I go if there are any delays ahead and a faster
route is possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 18:27, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I've taken an hour an a half to get from the A3 junction to Heathrow

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 18:27, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2
hours earlier.

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.

I've taken an hour an a half to get from the A3 junction to Heathrow

me too

In fact it was an hour and half from the A3 to the M3

tim

OT The apprentice in London ARW UK diy 62 January 26th 14 12:45 PM
New Apprentice ARW UK diy 4 October 25th 12 08:54 AM
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, LaptopRepairing Service London [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 07:38 AM
TV lost picture then lost sound.. Jason Electronics Repair 2 May 16th 04 02:42 PM