Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Car Specifications

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 15:23:00 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a
cost thing rather than cultural.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Often there's a North America version and an ECE (Europe-ish) version.
There might be a Japanese version too (maybe all RHD are to Japanese spec).
They address features that are incompatible between the two regimes - eg the
headlight arrangement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_..._Regulatio ns

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Those are presumably options to the base spec: the vehicle is the same, with
parts commonality within a region (NA/ECE/Japan). It is just than the
national subsidiary of the manufacturer or importer decides to promote some
factory options over others. They take a view on what will sell and what
won't. No point fitting satnav if there aren't maps for your country, or
importing black cars to the Middle East. Many of those market decisions
will be similar across manufacturers.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 16:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over a
time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

All of these things are available everywhere as options - even on low
end cars. I guess that each manufacturer takes a view on which of them
need to be fitted as standard in each market in order to compete with
other cars in that market. For example, you won't find many cars with
manual transmissions being imported into the US.

I haven't bought a new car for a while, but most manufacturers now seem
to have on-line configurators which allow you to create a car to your
exact spec. You invariable end up with something costing substantially
more than the base price by the time you have added better paint, better
wheels, a *spare* wheel (if available), better in-car entertainment, etc.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 16:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars imported
into a particular country?

To some extent the local environment.

The USA has long straight roads. No need for good cornering and cruise
control is useful.

In the 50s, 60s the French had straight but very bumpy roads so they
made cars with good suspension which could handle the bumps. In the UK
the road surface was better but there are lots of corners, so we made
cars like the Mini which could corner very well.

Spanish lorries had a green light on the back to tell you when you could
overtake.

As roads have improved the need for these aspects has reduced.

Fuel has always been cheap in the USA and expensive in Europe, so
European cars have had better fuel consumption.

Air conditioning is much more important in the USA, than in the UK where
your really just need a heater most of the time.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04-Jun-16 5:39 PM, Roger Mills wrote:
I haven't bought a new car for a while, but most manufacturers now seem
to have on-line configurators which allow you to create a car to your
exact spec. You invariable end up with something costing substantially
more than the base price by the time you have added better paint, better
wheels, a *spare* wheel (if available), better in-car entertainment, etc.

When I went around the Mercedes Stuttgart factory, which was making just
two models, the guide said that there were around 90,000 different
versions that could be built, depending upon what combination of options
the buyer had asked for.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 17:04:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days. Most larger cars tend to be autos. So probably a
cost thing rather than cultural.

My understanding is that it's very difficult to rent a stick-shift in
the US.
I'll see what my driving instructor friend's experience is when he
returns next week.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The obvious cultural difference that I think of is automatic vs manual
transmission

Not really these days.

Fraid so.

Most larger cars tend to be autos.

With ours almost all cars are autos now.

So probably a cost thing rather than cultural.

Not here. It does appear to be mostly cultural.

Same with the yanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message ...

DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars
imported into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors over
a time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all classes
of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in TV
and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with either
auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I am
concerned.

What a load of drivel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 17:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
DerbyBorn a écrit :
What is it that tends to define the typical specification of cars
imported into a particular country?

Some countries I have been to do not seem to have reversing sensors
over a time when they have become commonplace in the UK.

Cruise Control whilst unusual in the UK is very common across all
classes of car in other countries.

I suppose other additions like GPS / SatNav are a bit country specific.

I can see how an Importer of one brand would make a decision, but this
seems to go across brands.

Well, cruise would not be much use in a country where they don't have
(m)any motorways.

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out
for more hazards than just speed cameras.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.

IN town traffic I get a stiff left leg from manuals, and I like the
faster reaction times I get from left foot braking on an auto.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out
for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits (and
cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects me
against a mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway
cruising.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid lefty****
speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you need to slow down :
30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so you don't need to keep
looking at the speedo, but can actually watch out for more hazards than just
speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise
fitted, will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is
not advised.

My car has every toy you could think of or wish for, including built in
TV and sat/nav, apart from it being a manual. I am equally happy with
either auto or manual, both have their good and bad points so far as I
am concerned.

IN town traffic I get a stiff left leg from manuals, and I like the faster
reaction times I get from left foot braking on an auto.

I might get a sore left leg, if I didn't make good use of nuetral and
the handbrake in town traffic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar a écrit :
When I went around the Mercedes Stuttgart factory, which was making just two
models, the guide said that there were around 90,000 different versions that
could be built, depending upon what combination of options the buyer had
asked for.

But as already said, order all the options and it can make a large
difference to the cost. Mine cost a touch more than half as much again
as the base cost, in the add on options.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare a écrit :
Air conditioning is much more important in the USA, than in the UK where your
really just need a heater most of the time.

A/C is also of great value in the winter, to draw the moisture out of
the air to avoid windows misting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Using neutral means even MORE clutch activity..

And neutral isn't useful in stop-start-stop situations

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway
cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

I'm one who only really uses them on motorways (or other long, uneventful
roads). The rest of the time I use the speed limiter, as it's much less
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 04/06/16 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

I used my last car for 18 years, and very, very rarely used the cruise
control. This car, owned for a year, I haven't bothered finding out how
the cruise control works.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

When I went around the Mercedes Stuttgart factory, which was making just
two models, the guide said that there were around 90,000 different
versions that could be built, depending upon what combination of options
the buyer had asked for.

Very similar in the various UK factories I have visited. Nothing
seems to be made for stock these days, everything has a customer
waiting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 08:25, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris

Dunno. I'm driving a ten year old freelander, and that's a torque
converter too, I think

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway
cruising.

well so far that's two of us who use them for off motorway speed limits
to one who claims others use them only on motorways

I'm one who only really uses them on motorways (or other long, uneventful
roads). The rest of the time I use the speed limiter, as it's much less
work.

I dont have a speed limiter

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote in
:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits
(and cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects
me against a mistake.

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 09:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Eager wrote in
:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:15:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

It's OK, but an automatic speed limiter is better.

If I'm in one of those areas with constantly changing speed limits
(and cameras) I just engage the limiter and let it sort it all out.

In practice, I do know what the limit is all the time, but it protects
me against a mistake.

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.

Mine doesn't. Wish it did.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

These days hardly even that. Modern UK autos are so good its hardly
worth having a manual.

I wish I had tried them years ago., wouldn't go back.

My Mondeo Mk 4 still has a true torque converter. How do the
latest twin clutch versions compare?

Chris

Her Corsa 1.4 has a torque converter. IME, CVT gearboxes roll back
on hills, with the possible exception of Nissan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm uneasy about the idea of a speed limiter when, in an emergency, I
might want to exceed any limit I'd set, without the faff of disabling
the limiter.

I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that
suits me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 10:21, Mike Barnes wrote:
[...]

Doesn't a massive stab with the right foot do that, the way a stab on
the brakes disables cruise control?

I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that
suits me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

I believe modern satnavs can do this and 'know' what (nearly) all the
speed limits are...

Only use I have come up with for satnavs so far..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/06/16 10:21, Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm uneasy about the idea of a speed limiter when, in an emergency, I
might want to exceed any limit I'd set, without the faff of disabling
the limiter.

Doesn't a massive stab with the right foot do that, the way a stab on
the brakes disables cruise control?

I don't know, I've never had a car with a speed limiter.

I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that
suits me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

I believe modern satnavs can do this and 'know' what (nearly) all the
speed limits are...

I set the warning rather higher than the speed limit (e.g. 78 for a 70
limit).

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I decided to google this as I was interested.

"He adds: €œA big advantage with Fords Speed Limiter is that the system
also has a built in override feature which allows you to go above your
speed limit if you need to overtake. By pressing the accelerator to the
floor, the software will temporarily disable the speed limit function so
the driver can overtake, and then the system is automatically engaged
again when your speed reduces back to the set limit. If you do override
the system, the instrument panel display indicates you are exceeding
your set limit. So with Speed Limiter the driver can still overtake if
necessary, without having to turn the system off using the steering
wheel controls.€

€œBecause Fords Speed Limiter is not linked to the brakes and controls
speed by limiting acceleration, there are situations, for example when
descending steep hills, where the vehicle might exceed the maximum speed
set. If this happens a warning chime sounds and a light flashes in the
cluster display.€

Seem,s a very sensible way to organise a useful feature.

Unfortunately, its Ford.

Apart from maybe Toyota, the worst cars on the road otherwise.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 10:38, Mike Barnes wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/06/16 10:21, Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm uneasy about the idea of a speed limiter when, in an emergency, I
might want to exceed any limit I'd set, without the faff of disabling
the limiter.

Doesn't a massive stab with the right foot do that, the way a stab on
the brakes disables cruise control?

I don't know, I've never had a car with a speed limiter.

I can set the car to 'beep' when a certain speed is reached, and that
suits me better. Conveniently it's not loud enough to wake SWMBO.

I believe modern satnavs can do this and 'know' what (nearly) all the
speed limits are...

I set the warning rather higher than the speed limit (e.g. 78 for a 70
limit).

Ooh. You are naughty! But I like you.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 23:42:24 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Michael Chare a écrit :
Air conditioning is much more important in the USA, than in the UK where your
really just need a heater most of the time.

A/C is also of great value in the winter, to draw the moisture out of
the air to avoid windows misting.

And to dry off the occupants after they have been caught in a heavy
thunder shower without coats while out in the middle of a river in a
rowing boat on what till then had been sunny day.
BTDTGTTS.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 09:10, DerbyBorn wrote:

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.

Mine doesn't. Wish it did.

Britains most unreliable car. Your wish could become true
at any point, especially a 10-year old one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/16 11:12, Andrew wrote:
On 05/06/16 09:10, DerbyBorn wrote:

Many Cruise Controls have a "Speed Limiter" Setting.

Mine doesn't. Wish it did.

Britains most unreliable car. Your wish could become true
at any point, especially a 10-year old one.

Never let me down ever.

Lots goes wrong,. but its details like windows..

OK a failing fuel pump is a 40mph speed limiter of sorts ;-)

But fuel pumps go on all cars.

At least its got no timing belt. You cant limp home with a broken timing
belt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 23:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns a écrit :
I use cruise control for 30 and 40 limits more than 70 ...

Well, so do I, but mine will engage at 21 so I use 22 in the 20mph
zones, but most drivers only use them for long distance motorway cruising.

I use mine through roadworks where there are Specs cameras - at speeds
down to 30pmh.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 23:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher a écrit :
Bull****. Its fantastic for knowing you are not exceeding stupid
lefty**** speed limits. set it to the limit, and engage it until you
need to slow down : 30, 40 , 50 , 60, 79. It works for all of them so
you don't need to keep looking at the speedo, but can actually watch
out for more hazards than just speed cameras.

I agree and that is what I also use it for, but most with cruise fitted,
will not use it for that purpose, in fact that sort of use is not advised.

Why is that not advised? I suppose that since cruise control only works
on the throttle - and not on the brakes - there is some risk of
exceeding the set speed on a steep decline.

The cruise control on my 9 year old Volvo V70 simply maintains a
constant speed (as far as it is able to) by varying the throttle
opening. Later models are smarter than that, and have the ability either
to maintain the speed set or to maintain a constant distance behind the
vehicle in front if that is travelling more slowly. I fancy that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Pipe specifications! MuddyMike UK diy 6 August 4th 11 12:07 AM
Legacy Specifications Tom Watson Woodworking 10 October 13th 09 03:38 PM
Eyeglass specifications Peetie Wheatstraw Home Repair 15 March 6th 08 07:35 PM
DIY Heat Bank: PHE specifications Mike Holmes UK diy 13 August 4th 07 10:34 PM
tubing specifications Jay Metalworking 1 November 25th 04 07:08 PM